shape
carat
color
clarity

Got the CAD drawings back from Local Jeweler, any advice?

bmaynard06

Rough_Rock
Alright so with the help of fellow pricescopers, I picked out my center stone. I got a 1.03ct Princess Cut AGS0 from BGD, and it is beautiful.

Well I went back and forth with getting them to make a custom ring, but I found a local jeweler who was willing to do it (Ive heard good things about them, and I just feel secure getting the setting made in person, where even if I dont like how it turns out, the ease of changing it is nice).

Anyway, to give a little background, my GF really likes a hybrid 3 Stone/Halo ring. We have looked everywhere, at tons and tons of rings. While at the aforementioned jeweler, she found the ring she just fell in love with. Only problem, it was made for a radiant/emerald. It was made by designer Natalie K., but I cant find any information about it online (must be retired). All I have are a few pictures I snapped on her finger, and the stats on the tag. It had about .4ctw trap's, .6ctw pave all of g/h vs2 clarity.
The pictures below are of said ring:

to be continued......

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

bmaynard06

Rough_Rock
Re: Got the CAD drawings back from Local Jeweler, any advice

So the nice thing about having the actual ring, is they could base their drawings and models off the actual ring, but for a princess cut. So I just got an email back from them with the renderings. I would like to know what you guys think, and any suggestions, as I am a novice. My only concern, is should the center stone be raised a little? Also I imagine the RB's will be bigger and there wont be the apparent gap between them.
Here are the CAD drawings:

Sorry for the novel again, I just wanted to be thorough. I hope you guys can come to the help again!
Thanks for everything!!!

novi1.jpg

novi2.jpg

novi3.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Um... well I think they are well matched. The CAD looks like the original.

Are you sure you guys don't want them to make it slightly more graceful and delicate? It's going to be a big heavy ring and it is going to be knocked around on her hand. I just think that scaling it back on the metal more (like 25%) might improve the design.

Just my $0.02 though. If you are looking for an exact match... you are certainly very close with the existing design.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

I agree with Gypsy. The ring looks really thick and uncomfortable especially for daily wear. Her fingers won't be able to close.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

Have you seen the finished work of the person doing the custom ring? . If the benchperson can thin out the metal I think it will look the Natalie K ring you all tried on and loved

bmaynard06

Rough_Rock

I know she really liked the Natalie K ring, and usually likes her jewelry a little chunky, but I agree I'll see if I can have it taken down a little. I don't want it to be a hunk of metal on her finger lol.

As far as the bev. K ring, she was deadset on the one above, so I would like to stay very close to that if possible.

I appreciate the help everyone, keep the suggestions coming!

Ps, since I'm an amateur I'm not sure, but to me the center stone seems low in the CAD drawings above

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Most people perfer the stone being set lower...not flush but maybe just slightly above the setting.

bmaynard06

Rough_Rock

tyty333|1307624196|2941549 said:
Most people perfer the stone being set lower...not flush but maybe just slightly above the setting.

So the CAD drawings look ok in that regard then? Should the posts be that large if it's set that low?

slg47

Ideal_Rock

bmaynard06|1307624631|2941554 said:
tyty333|1307624196|2941549 said:

So the CAD drawings look ok in that regard then? Should the posts be that large if it's set that low?

yes that's just how CADs are sometimes

bmaynard06

Rough_Rock

Thank you all very mich, time and time again your so helpul!

Another quick question, when you say thin out the metal, do you mean the band, not so much the diamond portion? Or all of it?

MxMom

Rough_Rock

Your CAD looks very similar to my finished ring. I also had my stone lowered just slightly, but not flush and it looks a lot better now.

Good luck.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

bmaynard06|1307627183|2941581 said:
Another quick question, when you say thin out the metal, do you mean the band, not so much the diamond portion? Or all of it?

I mean the band and the metal that holds the diamonds. Most of the time with pave rings you want to see more diamond than the metal holding them in. The skill of the bench is what can made a solid ring but where it doesn't look like a ton of metal but still be sturdy enough to hold the stones properly so they aren't continually falling out.

bmaynard06

Rough_Rock

mrssalvo|1307643966|2941814 said:
bmaynard06|1307627183|2941581 said:

I mean the band and the metal that holds the diamonds. Most of the time with pave rings you want to see more diamond than the metal holding them in. The skill of the bench is what can made a solid ring but where it doesn't look like a ton of metal but still be sturdy enough to hold the stones properly so they aren't continually falling out.

Gotcha. I'll call them and give them the topics that were raised here and see what they say.

MxMom: Your ring looks beautiful from your profile picture, do you have anymore of it?

OCmom3xboys

Shiny_Rock

Can't wait to see the actual ring!

It looks like we're gonna add another pretty princess cut ring here on PS.

bmaynard06

Rough_Rock

OCmom3xboys|1307652183|2941931 said:
Can't wait to see the actual ring!

It looks like we're gonna add another pretty princess cut ring here on PS.

:) Thank you!!! I really hope it turns out well (I'm excited and nervous)! I addressed the issues with them and should have a clay model sometime soon! I appreciate everyones help and kind words!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it looks great, almost exactly like the Natalie K ring! Please post pics when it's done! :wavey:

MxMom

Rough_Rock

My original post is here, I don't have these photos on my computer here at work.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/our-upgrade-after-12-years.148030/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/our-upgrade-after-12-years.148030/[/URL]

Also, it was lowered about 6 weeks ago after I found out my center stone was loose, I went ahead and lowered it since it needed to be reset anyway. Somehow by lowering the stone the princess and the melee all match much better.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

the CADs will look 'bulkier' than the finished ring. Like mrssalvo said, have you seen finished rings from this jeweler?

bmaynard06

Rough_Rock

slg47|1307722809|2942568 said:
the CADs will look 'bulkier' than the finished ring. Like mrssalvo said, have you seen finished rings from this jeweler?

Yeah, he has shown me some of his previous work, and it looks very nice.

But dont most places send it out to get cast? Isnt that were most of the variation would come from in this case?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

bmaynard06|1307724555|2942605 said:
slg47|1307722809|2942568 said:

Yeah, he has shown me some of his previous work, and it looks very nice.

But dont most places send it out to get cast? Isnt that were most of the variation would come from in this case?

depends but most of the custom jewelers on this forum do their own work in-house. The variation can be there for a number of reasons.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results