shape
carat
color
clarity

Got my green grey 1.05 diamond!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will post more pictures later, but it''s gorgeous and has nice sparkle and no eye visible inclusions. It is 1.05 carats, but it''s cut such that it has a 1.25 carat spread look to it. It''s a BIG stone. The weirdest thing is that when I took it out of the box, it looked yellow, and then I went in another room and it turned green???? My stupid camera always casts a shadow and makes everything look so dark, so I took this angle picture with my quarter carat pinks.

More pictures to come.

greengreypinks1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On my grey countertop (the stone has a grey mask to it, but it definitely has green in there).

greycountertop.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
surrounded by pinks and yellows. This isn''t the best pic (kind of blurry), but I cannot capture the sparkle with my camera unless I have a blurry pic. It does sparkle!!

surroundedbypinksandyellows.jpg

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/3/2008 5:56:39 PM
Author:tourmaline_lover
I will post more pictures later, but it's gorgeous and has nice sparkle and no eye visible inclusions. It is 1.05 carats, but it's cut such that it has a 1.25 carat spread look to it. It's a BIG stone. The weirdest thing is that when I took it out of the box, it looked yellow, and then I went in another room and it turned green???? My stupid camera always casts a shadow and makes everything look so dark, so I took this angle picture with my quarter carat pinks.

More pictures to come.
I think you have a chameleon... just keep it in the dark overnight (not too hard to do
2.gif
), then first thing in the morning check the colour. If it's gone yellow again, you definitely have a chameleon. It will revert to gray-green in a few minutes.

Oh - and of course, congratulations!!!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Man, I love your coloured diamond collection, TL! That green-grey is awesome!!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a penny (since I don''t have rose gold to compare it to).

It keeps coming out so dark in the photos.

onapenny.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On my hand showing a bit more yellow

greenonhand.jpg

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Silly question - but have you tried adjusting the exposure of the camera slightly and/or to adjust white balance in the lighting you are going to use for the photo? Most cameras have the option to overexpose/underexpose up to 1 aperture step; white balance may also help in getting better colour fidelity.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All lined up (in very very dim light) with the rest of my unset colored diamonds.

I tried giving more exposure, but my camera macro mode just stinks and washes out color and sparkle.

thelineupgang.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2008 6:21:06 PM
Author: oldmancoyote

Date: 11/3/2008 5:56:39 PM
Author:tourmaline_lover
I will post more pictures later, but it's gorgeous and has nice sparkle and no eye visible inclusions. It is 1.05 carats, but it's cut such that it has a 1.25 carat spread look to it. It's a BIG stone. The weirdest thing is that when I took it out of the box, it looked yellow, and then I went in another room and it turned green???? My stupid camera always casts a shadow and makes everything look so dark, so I took this angle picture with my quarter carat pinks.

More pictures to come.
I think you have a chameleon... just keep it in the dark overnight (not too hard to do
2.gif
), then first thing in the morning check the colour. If it's gone yellow again, you definitely have a chameleon. It will revert to gray-green in a few minutes.

Oh - and of course, congratulations!!!
Ditto. I have a chameleon, and to get the lightest yellow, it has to sit in the dark for a couple of days. But, it does do that color change thing in various lighting as well.

What fun!!!
36.gif

ETA: Do you have a UV light? If so, try looking for fluorescence and phosphorescense. Mine has strong green fluorescence in the UV light, but when the UV is turned off, it glows faint pink in the dark.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
That is way cool. I wonder what elements make for the grey and the green. Where did you find it? Good hunting. Does it do light and color well? Best wishes and enjoy it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What exactly is a chameleon diamond? Are they valuable? When I first took it out of the packaging, it was a yellowish color, and I was kind of bummed because I thought "where's the green" although it did look pretty. Then later on, the green showed up. It was weird. I took it back in those same lighting conditions because I thought it was just changing color based on the light, but it was still greenish grey.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Nice! How do you think you''ll set it? Again, does it do white light and fire well.

I think it''s a really interesting stone. Congrats.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/3/2008 8:21:01 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Nice! How do you think you''ll set it? Again, does it do white light and fire well.

It definitely sparkles, and has fire (my dang camera can''t show it well), but I got it more for the color than anything else.

Okay, what color gold??? I''m debating yellow, white or rose gold. I thought it would be pretty with my pink diamonds set around it on a three stone band in rose gold. . . or my two lemony yellow diamonds in yellow gold . . . or a white gold halo with green gold prongs. It''s 6.8mm across (it was advertised this size and I measured it with my gage).

Where do you get those UV lights anyways? I need to get one.

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/3/2008 8:28:41 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
It definitely sparkles, and has fire (my dang camera can''t show it well), but I got it more for the color than anything else.

Okay, what color gold??? I''m debating yellow, white or rose gold. I thought it would be pretty with my pink diamonds set around it on a three stone band in rose gold. . . or my two lemony yellow diamonds in yellow gold . . . or a white gold halo with green gold prongs. It''s 6.8mm across (it was advertised this size and I measured it with my gage).

Seeing the green diamond with your pinks, I really think that rose gold with the pink diamonds would look SO pretty! I don''t think that yellow gold would look right because it would bring out more of the yellow (unless that''s what you''re going for) and based on the pictures you posted earlier of another grey-green diamon in white gold, I think that''s going to grey it out too much.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2008 8:28:41 PM

Date: 11/3/2008 8:21:01 PM
Author: sonomacounty

I picked one up at my local Spencer Gifts at the maul.

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
I bet a rose gold setting with green gold accents and/or prongs would be stunning with that diamond!
36.gif
I have an antique ring that is rose gold with green gold accents and the green gold looks like it would match your stone very well. And the two colors of gold look so nice together
9.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Diamonds by Lauren set a chameleon just your size a while back. More photos here.

405_image.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
it will be stunning with 18k red gold......

movie zombie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/3/2008 9:21:10 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Diamonds by Lauren set a chameleon just your size a while back. More photos here.
Gulp, $9,000!!! That is a pretty stone though, and the side diamonds are pretty big, but that''s a lot of money!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
How cool! Love it!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here's another one that I managed to capture some sparkle on, but it does sparkle more than this.

Sorry for all the pics, I am just trying to get the best one here to show the true color of the stone. When I took it out of the box, it was a butterscotch color and looked nothing like this. BTW, that's not a chip in the stone on the upper left, but an illusion since the light hitting it at that facet blended in with the background.

moresparkleingg.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2008 10:12:02 PM

Here''s another one that I managed to capture some sparkle on, but it does sparkle more than this.

Sorry for all the pics, I am just trying to get the best one here to show the true color of the stone. When I took it out of the box, it was a butterscotch color and looked nothing like this.

Remember, that diamond had been in the dark for days when you first got it. When I first opened the box for my chameleon it was straw colored, then it turned dark green. So, put it in a drawer overnight, and see what color it is in the morning. Chameleons reverse colors over and over again. I''ll be interested to see if you notice a difference. Mine takes about two days to lose all the green color, and about 10 minutes in the light to turn green again. But, some of them change color faster than that.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think you have to give prongs much thought since I don''t think they can influence the stone''s color that much, as they cover only a small portion of it.

And if you have some copper (colored) ashtray or something, it would be interesting to view it completely surounded by "rose gold" - just to see how it looks.

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
love your coloured diamond collection!
36.gif
36.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
As I stated in your other thread, I think rose gold will be lovely with your new stone! Glad you are happy with it :) What nice color! As far as the pen black lights-look on ebay, they are fun to have and check all your stones :) My Chameleon diamond fluoresces orange and phosphoreses yellow to green.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just opened the box, and it was more butterscotch in the daylight, but it could just be how light affects it. The weird thing is that if I put it between my fingers, it turns more green, and if I put it on a dark surface, it turns more butterscotch (can still see a green grey tint in it though). In incandescents, it looks a lot more green olive.

Again, the camera does the stone no justice - it does sparkle!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s the contrast in different situations with natural dim morning light pouring through my window.

mrgreenandyellow.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results