shape
carat
color
clarity

got cheated in South Africa?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

paperclip

Rough_Rock
thks Yssie!

how does a recut work? Can most jewellers do it? do they charge an exorbitant price for a recut? and how much of the diamond do you lose in a recut? Lol didn''t know there are sooo many facets to diamond buying
9.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an expert, but an opinion:

You'll lose some diamond weight. You'd gain performance, though, with optimal angles, and you wouldn't lose any face-up size (diametre will stay the same), so it'll look the same when set as it does now.

Very crude picture: your diamond's deep, like the one on the R. The recut might take it from black (now) to red (ideal) (actually they might not adjust the crown at all, which is fine, and just shave the pavilion). If you had a very shallow diamond you would have a problem with losing face-up size to get better performance - a much harder decision
2.gif

I'll wait for someone who has done it to chime in on how exactly one goes about a recut project...

RECUT89079879.jpg

paperclip

Rough_Rock
Posting up some pics. hopefully the photos are descriptive.

L9opt.jpg

paperclip

Rough_Rock
one more. The band is only a placeholder btw given by the diamond seller.

L10opt.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think you really need to get the diamond appraised before you decide what to do with it. Confirm what the clarity and color is.

paperclip

Rough_Rock
Alas, just found out that there is no diamond cutting facilities in my country. The nearest one would be in China so I guess recutting the diamond would be out of the question. Anyway, since my parents actually bought the diamond with the intention of me using it for the engagement ring, I think it would break their heart if I don''t use it. I doubt I''ll get it re-evaluated as it won''t make any difference anyway. I''ll treat it as an expensive lesson. I"ll do my best to find a nice setting to show the diamond off.
1.gif
My gf already owns a much smaller diamond ring(0.30crt if im not mistaken) of pretty decent quality so I hope this one will better that at least by a little bit. I know she''ll be perfectly happy with whatever I give her but I''ll still want to give her the best that I can afford.

This is an amazing forum and if only I found it sooner. Great community too! Didn''t know searching for the right diamond can be so interesting.
3.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get something that allows light to come in from the pavilion or put it in a bezel with a reflecting bottom. :p

paperclip

Rough_Rock
ahh interesting! i''ll keep that in mind stone-cold thks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results