carat
color
clarity

Got any clothing pet peeves?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate velcro on pockets.
When I want to put my wallet in my back pocket I'm in a rush; I'm on my way out the door, and probably LATE.

For 50 years putting my wallet in my back pocket has been a one-handed operation.
I HATE when I have to stop, put down what was in my other hand and unlatch the velcro to put my wallet away. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Do you have any clothing pet peeves?

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Lots.

Here are the two I rant about most frequently:

I hate labels on my clothes. If a brand wants me to do their advertising they should pay me for it.
Velcro. Anywhere. The stuff is disgusting and should never have ended up anywhere near clothes.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The corollary to yours: the complete and total lack of pockets on most women's clothing. I understand the concept of "form over function," but it's like the Golden Rule of most things targeted towards women, and it pisses me right off.

Inkblot

Rough_Rock
Pockets on tailored trousers where the pocket liner is too thick for the trouser material! Even when the slacks fit appropriately, too-thick pocket liners create lumps and unsightly bumps under the material and around the side seam. As someone who is very tall and has enough trouble finding pants that are long enough, I also have to wear business dress every day to work. I like flat-fronted trousers with pockets, because I tend to hook my thumbs in my pockets when I'm presenting projects or offering input to others while standing. I like pockets, but I hate when the pocket liner "curdles" up inside the pants or can be seen. I've had this happen with cheapie slacks as well as designer trousers.

Obviously this bothers me, as I just wrote an entire paragraph about my pocket woes. Ha.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure if this counts, but I hate tags on clothes - not price tags, actual tags like at the back of the shirt where you have the size. I find that they're always itchy and I tend to cut them off with scissors.

Inkblot

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Circe! Pockets are a big deal! I'm not alone in my pocket rage. I have tailored jackets with pockets that are sewn shut and don't even qualify as pockets. What are they, mystery pockets?

And why, oh WHY, do women not get a line of wrinkle free separates? My SO hardly ever has to iron. His collared shirts are "wrinkle-free" and so are his pants. Just pull straight from the dryer, stick in the closet, they're good to go. I glare at him in jealousy as I iron creases into my pockety pants.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1307976306|2944707 said:
The corollary to yours: the complete and total lack of pockets on most women's clothing. I understand the concept of "form over function," but it's like the Golden Rule of most things targeted towards women, and it pisses me right off.

Big fat ditto.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
Circe|1307976306|2944707 said:

THIS! I hate that most of my work pants don't have pockets. This is why I'm constantly misplacing my pager at work. If I don't have a pocket to clip my pager to, I end up carrying it with me and setting it on my car seat, etc.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I totally agree with the pocket angst. I get so annoyed having to rip the pocket open in a new pair of pants, or in a suit. I'm always so afraid that I'll get a little gung-ho and tear something, and then look so sloppy.

Further, I hate how short the pockets are in women's jeans. The front pockets are shorter than the length of my fingers, i can never put my phone in my pocket or even my debit card and cash. It always just squished out when I sit, and I end up losing things. I'm better off to just keep using a purse, even though I want to lighten my load. Going to school, I've been feeling really burdened carrying my back pack and tons of books, so it would be so nice to cut down on that. I don't like to put my phone in my back pocket, I'm always afraid I'll sit on something i shouldn't and break the poor thing.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Inkblot|1307976437|2944709 said:
Pockets on tailored trousers where the pocket liner is too thick for the trouser material! Even when the slacks fit appropriately, too-thick pocket liners create lumps and unsightly bumps under the material and around the side seam. As someone who is very tall and has enough trouble finding pants that are long enough, I also have to wear business dress every day to work. I like flat-fronted trousers with pockets, because I tend to hook my thumbs in my pockets when I'm presenting projects or offering input to others while standing. I like pockets, but I hate when the pocket liner "curdles" up inside the pants or can be seen. I've had this happen with cheapie slacks as well as designer trousers.

Obviously this bothers me, as I just wrote an entire paragraph about my pocket woes. Ha.

LOL, this is exactly why I cut the pockets out of almost all pants, including jeans! I never put anything in my pockets, so this isn't a problem.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1307981453|2944765 said:
Inkblot|1307976437|2944709 said:

LOL, this is exactly why I cut the pockets out of almost all pants, including jeans! I never put anything in my pockets, so this isn't a problem.

If a dude did that he'd be arrested for being a perv

I hate polyester thread in non polyester garments. Thread should match the fabric, not just in color but in material.
Also I hate T shirts that are cut poorly resulting in an uncomfortable distorted twist to the shirt. Same with sleeves on dress shirts that don't hang right and twist around the arm.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't really have any clothing pet peeves that I can think of, but my sister had the cutest clothing pet peeve as a child.

She hated the toe seams in socks, and from a very young age she used to rip her socks off, turn them inside-out, and then put them back on. She started doing this when she was so young that she couldn't properly explain why she was doing it, and it has been her style ever since.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I'm sure this will be just me, but I HATE cap sleeve t-shirts. I hate the feeling of the end of the sleeve rubbing inside my armpit, and I don't think it's the most flattering place for a sleeve to stop on an arm in general. But most casual women's tees are cap sleeve, which leads me to believe I'm one of the only to feel this way. :rodent:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh..hmm..maybe I'll try that w/my socks, Haven. I get freaked out when the seam bunches on my toes in my shoe, and I have to have the socks tight to my foot, not extra material past my toes..so I always end up w/my socks stretched out like mad so I have to look for the pink seam to make sure they aren't JD's socks. And then the heel of the sock sticks out the back of my shoe and looks dumb. Maybe I'll start buying little girl socks.

rubyprincess

Shiny_Rock
Excessive spandex in denim. Seems all ladies' jeans have a small bit of spandex in them, particularly the "premium denim". All well and good when you first put them on but after an hour, they sag, bag and droop. Guess it's okay if you have some butt to hold them up but alas, all I have is belly and the waistband rolls right down over the dunlap disease and the jeans bag.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
E B|1307985502|2944796 said:
I'm sure this will be just me, but I HATE cap sleeve t-shirts. I hate the feeling of the end of the sleeve rubbing inside my armpit, and I don't think it's the most flattering place for a sleeve to stop on an arm in general. But most casual women's tees are cap sleeve, which leads me to believe I'm one of the only to feel this way. :rodent:

I hate long sleeves. In fact, any sleeve below my elbow gets rolled up or hacked off.

To me the perfect sleeve ends 4 fingers above the crook of my arm.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate having to alter pants but I need to unless I want them dragging on the floor well past my feet. I should learn to sew so I can save money and hem them myself.

Another pet peeve I have is when side pockets are too wide (or something?) and they balloon out. It's not an attractive look.

Oooh, another thing I'm not a fan of is embroidery/applique on clothing. For kids' clothes, it's cute. For adult clothing though? No thanks.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I hate that shoe designers seem to think that women with feet larger than size 10 don't want cute shoes too, and also that the intersection of "cute shoes" and "comfortable shoes" is null.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate it when I buy a new pair of tennis shoes only to find on the first day I wear them that they pull the sock down into the shoe!
It so ticks me off. I just bought a new pair of reebok running shoes that do this. Grrrrr :angryfire:

I also hate the little strings that they sew into dresses and shirts that you are supposed to use to hold the dumb thing to a hanger.

And one more thing-bra straps that want to roll when you put them on your shoulder. I spend 10 minutes every morning trying to
get the straps right!

Not clothing, but I just went to Dress Barn the other day and stuff looks way different in the room mirrors than the mirrors in between.
How do they do that, and where can I get one of the dressing room mirrors for my home so I can deceive myself 24/7?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1307990428|2944861 said:
I hate it when I buy a new pair of tennis shoes only to find on the first day I wear them that they pull the sock down into the shoe!
It so ticks me off. I just bought a new pair of reebok running shoes that do this. Grrrrr :angryfire:

I also hate the little strings that they sew into dresses and shirts that you are supposed to use to hold the dumb thing to a hanger.

I cut those strings off.

My biggest peeve is when people wear blue shirts. Also, it bugs me when someone wears red.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I hate pockets on tee-shirts
I hate having to deal with ring-round-collar because it seems that no matter how you try the collar never is white again.
I hate the creases in leather shoes and even with shoe trees some shoes want to curl up on the end.
I hate dry clean only.
I hate when your favorite fitting jeans stretch out only after a few wearings and then you are continually hiking them up after sitting.
I hate silk ties that snag the first time you wear them.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
i also hate adult men wear tee-shirts and neck ties with comic characters or holiday themes on them. porky pig or Santa should be left at home and not in the work place.

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
I hate when people over the age of 15 wear shirts with words or witty little sayings on them! Around the house is one thing, but to go out in that...?

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
jewelerman|1307995588|2944932 said:
I hate when your favorite fitting jeans stretch out only after a few wearings and then you are continually hiking them up after sitting.

Yes! :errrr:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I find it really disturbing when a woman buys a top that has a seam that is supposed to go *under* the breast, and for some unknown reason, they buy it too small and wear it with the seam running accross the *middle* of the breast!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie|1307976253|2944706 said:
I hate labels on my clothes. If a brand wants me to do their advertising they should pay me for it.

This. Some people think labels = status. To me, it means you are being used for free advertising.

Also, I hate seeing people with jeans that are frayed on the bottom. It looks slovenly.

Remaining on the topic of jeans, I don't want to see butt crack or underwear creeping out of the top of them. Simple dressing room exercises of sitting and squatting in front of the mirror should reveal whether crack or underwear will show while engage in your daily life activities involving sitting and squatting.

Last but not least, there is no excuse for muffin tops.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1307992265|2944893 said:
luv2sparkle|1307990428|2944861 said:

I cut those strings off.

My biggest peeve is when people wear blue shirts. Also, it bugs me when someone wears red.

I do too as soon as I get them home, but I hate that I have to go through everything I bought and cut them off!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have a couple:

Button down blouses/shirts with buttons positioned in correctly, leading big gaping hole in the breast area. I'm not even big in the chest area, so I can't imagine how the chestier ladies deal with it.

Another is the skinny extra long tank tops. Who needs tank tops that reach their knees? Am I just short waisted?

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1307996709|2944946 said:
I find it really disturbing when a woman buys a top that has a seam that is supposed to go *under* the breast, and for some unknown reason, they buy it too small and wear it with the seam running accross the *middle* of the breast!

This is why I avoid certain styles of wrap shirts, because that seam NEVER EVER sits where it's supposed to, especially if you have a larger chest. It always ends up at nipple height. Awesome.

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
jaysonsmom|1308001105|2944997 said:
I have a couple:

Button down blouses/shirts with buttons positioned in correctly, leading big gaping hole in the breast area. I'm not even big in the chest area, so I can't imagine how the chestier ladies deal with it.

Another is the skinny extra long tank tops. Who needs tank tops that reach their knees? Am I just short waisted?

I forgot about the button down issue. But yes, that's another HUGE pet peeve of mine. I wear a D cup and I can only button around the chest area if I buy a shirt that's waaaaaay too big. I get around this by wearing camis underneath and then just not buttoning around that area if I have to wear one. But this problem is why I very rarely wear button down shirts.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results