shape
carat
color
clarity

Good to be here

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

destarr

Rough_Rock
I''m glad I found this site when I did, I was going bezerk looking on my own and I could use a bit of help finding a stone. I''m a college student and I''m looking to propose in january. Unfortunately I have two forces going against me on this ring purchase-first I should restate that I''m a POOR college student, and second I''m the last of my group of friends to "drop my knee." So my GF wants a single diamond that is bigger than all her friends rings, which really sucks for me. So I''m looking for diamonds that fall in the range of .75 carats to 1.0 carat. I can afford 2300, but then I have to start drinking the cheap beer, if you get my drift. I''m really picky when it comes to things that are supposed to last a lifetime, so I look for diamonds that I cannot see imperfections, or as they say so colorfully at the retail stores "character", so easily within a minute. This does not mean that if I hold the diamond at 72% and if I relax my eyes I can see the crack, this means I can look right at the diamond and as I move it left to right I notice one spot that does not shine like the rest of the diamond, or I see a big piee of carbon. I.E> I need a diamond that she wil love, and will not find flaws in till she looks reeeaaallly close at it. I found some that I liked at the jewlers, but I always feel that you get a better buy online. So let me start by telling you what I have found and liked, then you can help me realize what I should look for online-
Kay''s Jewlers-5/8 carat, H-I color, I2 clarity, $1299, nice stone but not certified
Zales-3/4 carat, certified-IGI, I color, I1 clarity, $2499, good but was''t really shiny
Local place-.51 carat, F/G color, VS2, Fine cut, $2395, very beautiful stone russian cut-but was smaller than I wanted and no certification and appraisal done by store owner (which I personally do not like or trust)
Roger and Hollands-.70 carat, J color, SI1, $2699, I thought the price was a bit too high on this stone and I cannot remember if it came with a cert. or not
Local place-.63 carat, F color, SI1 clarity, EGL cert, $2180, This place is new (under 8yrs) and offers no warrantee but the jewlers are the salesmen and they really know there diamonds-he said that AGS and GIA are better certs. than IGI or EGL don''t know if it''s true but he seemed pretty confident in his words-this place caters mostly to the rich elderly.

I want a stone that won''t break the bank and still will make her finger look small. I think a .75 will be fine, but I wonder if the table makes a differce on how big it looks on her finger. I would love to spend around $1500 but I don''t know what I should be geting for that price as opposed to $2000 spent. As you can tell I really need some help here, I already have been getting e-mail offers from tons of vendors but since thier prices vary so much I don''t know who is good and who is trying to rip me off. I get one quote for $2000 while another vendor says there is no way they can do it for less than $3000 and anyone who can is selling you junk (this was on a search for a .9-1.15 carat, I color and S.I. clarity)

Also Is clarity enhancing bad or good, I don''t really like the sound of it, but I see that it really brings down the price on the gems. Oh yeah here''s your smile
confused.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it have to be round? Would you consider buying online?

An oversized table does not make stones look bigger, just dull. However, extra depth does determine a smaller diameter (i.e. visible size).

I believe a I-J, SI2 (eye clean), just below 60% depth and table would be the answer to your quest. Of course, a clarity enhanced stone will fit the bill to (given the comments already in place above)...and you could also "upgrade" from all these constraints especially if your girl likes these so much.

Take a look at https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/idealscope-image-my-ering-stone.10743/

to see what a shallower stone can do !

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
just a quick search turned up this one as a very good possibility.
If your interested contact them and get the crown and pavilion angles.
It is listed in their very best cut section.

click here

Be sure and mention pricescope if you contact them I understand some dealers give a discount. I dont know if they do.

destarr

Rough_Rock
I'm going to zales to look a bit more, I have a good friend that works there and she said she could help me, my question is how ridiculous are the prices they quote compared to the prices that you can actualy get te stones for at the stores. And also, with her help should I be able to get close to internet prices, or am I just dreaming? On a sidebar- what is typically covered boy jewelry insurance that is specifically taken out for the ring? what I want o find out is if the guarantee the stores offer is a good dea, or would I normally recieve similar benefits from my insurance.
6.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 12/3/2003 7:04:30 PM destarr wrote:

I'm going to zales to look a bit more, I have a good friend that works there and she said she could help me, my question is how ridiculous are the prices they quote compared to the prices that you can actualy get te stones for at the stores. And also, with her help should I be able to get close to internet prices, or am I just dreaming?

----------------

You're dreaming. Most of what they have at Zales is overpriced and poor quality. They won't come close to internet vendors for comparable quality because it's just not how they do business.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Hi Destar,

I haven't shopped at Zales, but the other B&M stores I've checked in are significantly more expensive than the online vendors, and usually have inferior quality stones. Especially when is comes to cut. (They have more overhead that they have to cover, thus the higher markup.) A quick search on pricescope brings up lots of stones in the price range and size you are looking for. If you look at H sI1's you can probably squeak maximize size or save a few $$. If you call some of the vendors, they might even be able to help you find an eye clean SI2, or a nice I color stone. I bought through USA Certed, who had a lot of stone come up with the search. I thought their pricing was very competitive. (They will price match and offer Pricescope discounts.) They don't typically have the stones in house, so one of the vendors who does bring the stones in might be better if you get into the ranges with more variability. The others listed all have good testomonials from customers -- you can search here to see what experiences people have had.

I'm not sure what kind of warranty you are talking about, but if it is for free cleanings and checks, forget it. Any store will do that for you, so there is no value add. Insurance will typically replace or refund if the ring is lost, stolen, or destroyed somehow. (Policies vary).

Since you are on a tight budget and want as big of a stone as you can get, I'd look online. The people here would be happy to review the stones you decide look interesting and give you their opinions. Also, the online vendors will help be your virtual eyes if you give them a call.

good luck!

destarr

Rough_Rock
I think you are right, I'm going to go there tommorow anyway, since I prommised the girl, but I'm bringing along some quites I found on the internet, just to keep me in check so as I don't get all wrapped up. Right now they are giving $500 off, so maybe if I get a rock bottom price with the $500 I'll consider it. otherwise I will go online.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I would get an SI 3 or I 1 stone with at least an EGL or even better a GIA report. A properly graded I 1 is not that ugly. As a matter of fact, I was looking on the net and found several very well cut I 1 stones accompanied by GIA reports that were in the price range you specified.
1.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Some ideas:

0.80ct H SI3 EGL $1468 (PriceScope price)
http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1012/v.cgi?stock=1808140&_s=1012&_p=sdf348gd743&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=&_ln=ps

0.75 H&A G I1 GIA $1454 (PriceScope price)
http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1012/v.cgi?stock=1463427&_s=1012&_p=sdf348gd743&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=&_ln=ps

0.75 I SI1 EGL $1707
http://www.jewelryzone.com/details.php3?item=970868

Whoever told you that AGS and GIA certs are the best was correct. With an AGS or GIA cert, you can go down to an I1, as long as you can tell from the cert (or have the seller look at it and describe it) that the inclusions are not front and center. EGL gives an "in between" clarity grading of SI3, which really means pretty good I1. I wouldn't go below SI3 in an EGL cert. IGI is used by most mall stores but is not considered all that reputable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results