shape
carat
color
clarity

Good stone, price?

rickmac81

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I have a question about a stone, wondering about the difference between ratings.

The stone is a 1.27, round, G color, Si1, excellent cut. The price offered to me was $6,600. I thought it was a good deal until I started looking at the different ratings. This diamond is EGL rated. Should I stay away from anything that isn't GIA? I'm confused as to the difference and the implications of the quality.

For instance, through Solomon Brothers (yay or nay?) I can get a larger stone, same quality, also EGL rated, for much less. Changing the search to a GIA rating drastically increases the price.

Please advise, and thank you!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
rickmac81|1310570996|2968053 said:
Hi all,

I have a question about a stone, wondering about the difference between ratings.

The stone is a 1.27, round, G color, Si1, excellent cut. The price offered to me was $6,600. I thought it was a good deal until I started looking at the different ratings. This diamond is EGL rated. Should I stay away from anything that isn't GIA? I'm confused as to the difference and the implications of the quality.

For instance, through Solomon Brothers (yay or nay?) I can get a larger stone, same quality, also EGL rated, for much less. Changing the search to a GIA rating drastically increases the price.

Please advise, and thank you!

EGL is 'softer' on grading than GIA or AGS, so a EGL G/SI1 could be an I or J SI2/I1 from GIA or AGS. The issue is that you do not know what you are getting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results