shape
carat
color
clarity

Good setter recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ginaworld

Rough_Rock
Hi again everyone,

I''ve been busy working on wedding plans, so I have been away from the forum for a while, but coming back for more advice now & I''m just as addicted as the day I left.

Anyway, I received my radiant cut diamond E-ring a couple months ago & have had it re-set three times by the jeweler where I bought it from, however, his setter just can''t seem to get it right. The prongs are crooked and the diamond also appears crooked in the setting (sits on an angle). I can''t help but be annoyed by it each time I stare at it, and of course, I can''t stop staring at it. My jeweler tells me that since the dimensions of radiant diamonds are not always exact, you can''t always have the prongs set perfectly exact either. Is this true? This sounds like it might have some merit, but I''m still annoyed w/the setting. It''s a Tiffany style four prong solitaire platinum setting.

I''m considering having it re-set by a different jeweler, but before I spend the extra money, would like to know if it''s just not going to make a difference because of the "imperfect" dimensions on the diamond or if a more skilled setter could make it work. In which case, I also need to know if anyone out there has any recommendations on a good setter somewhere in Michigan; the Metro Detroit area (Troy, Birmingham, Rochester, Sterling Heights, Warren, anyone???).

Any feedback & opinions/advice are so appreciated. Thanks!

BTO

Rough_Rock
Hi Gina,

First off, I don’t really have a setter recommendation. I’m originally from Detroit (well, Livonia actually), and have only lived in Memphis less than a year. I went with an untraditional engagement ring, so I don’t have much experience with stone setting. However, I’ll put out some emails to my recently engaged friends (all in the Detroit area) and see if they have any advice for you!

Brandy

P.S. If you haven't been there already, check out the Detroit message board at www.theknot.com. Last year when I was planning my wedding I found the ladies on there to be very helpful--a ton of recent brides just looking to help out the engaged and stressed! Someone just might know a good setter.
2.gif

Ginaworld

Rough_Rock
Hi Brandy,

Thanks so much for your response and efforts; I'll keep checking for your responses as I'm anxious to hear if your friends may know of a good setter/jeweler here. Thanks for the tip on The Knot site, too, I'll check there as well.

Hope you like Memphis; it's gotta be better weather than Mich right now!
1.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
So the question that we have is... When you look at the ring from a side profile and you see that the stone is tilted at a slant, is the diamond tilted the opposite direction when you turn the ring around? This might be a difficult concept to grasp because we're probably going to have difficulty expressing this concept in writing, but try to bear with us... It is not uncommon for a diamond to appear to be tilted in a setting when the ring is viewed from one side profile and then appear straight when viewed from the opposite side profile... But if the diamond appears tilted from both side profiles, then it actually is tilted in the setting... Don't ask us why it works this way, it just does... Thank God we're not bench jewelers, we just employ them and they hate the fact that we're always louping their work! But we're kind of anal that way... Wish we knew of a good setter in Michigan to refer you to, but we don't... Try contacting one of the appraisers listed in the appraisers section here on PS, there is a link to the appraisers page located at the top of all the PS pages including this one, usually the appraisers in an area know who the good setters are, if nothing else, you'll have access to another set of eyes to help determine if you're bugging out or not
2.gif

Ginaworld

Rough_Rock
Hi Robin & Todd,

Thanks for the info; yes, the diamond appears tilted from both side profiles. It seems more obvious from one side profile than the other, but nonetheless, tilted from both profiles. So based on what you've written, I can conclude that this could be fixed & will continue my quest for a good setter. What about the crooked prongs, too? The second time the setting was "fixed", the top two prongs were much closer together than the bottom two (picturing the rectangular shaped setting & looking at it from a top view of the diamond), so I requested them to be more even. When the ring came back, the prongs were more equally spaced apart, however, the prongs themselves then became more crooked. Could this be hasty, poor workmanship, or is this considered acceptable & not uncommon, either?

Thank you for replying earlier, and I look forward to any new opinions you might have.

Gina

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results