shape
carat
color
clarity

Good price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JRK

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am about to purchase an engagement ring for my girlfriend and I am trying to figure out if I''m getting a good deal.
The diamond is a 1.81 ct, Princess cut, I color and VS1 clarity which is EGL certified. I am having the ring made from a picture I found on the internet. It will be made of white gold and should have a little more than 3/4 ct of diamonds in it. The guy told me I was getting "the deal of a lifetime." He told everything would be $8,200. Out the door price was $8,692.00. He said he got an excellent deal on the diamond and he was passing it on to me. The price listed on the diamond alone said $14,699. Now am I getting a good deal or is he paying me.

engagementring3245.jpg

wen104

Shiny_Rock
That sounds way to good to be true! Second there are alot of post on here about being cautious when purchasing an EGL graded diamond. EGL is very loose in grading and you are often getting a much lower quality diamond but then again they are usually not as expensive. That being said I would be very very cautious. Also did he give you any stats on that rock other then the color and clarity. You could be getting a very poor cut stone!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I tried to get a price comparison using the carat weight and other stats you posted; but very few hits came up for EGL stones with these parameters: only one VS1 I color, 1.75 and it was around $5500. Would you care to share the numbers off the EGL cert with us or provide the cert # and we can check? BTW, which EGL lab issued the cert?

cheers--Sharon

JRK

Rough_Rock
I was going to stop be the jewelers again after work to see it. I will get the detailed info then. Is there any other info I should ask him for?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/27/2007 4:20:38 PM
Author: JRK
I was going to stop be the jewelers again after work to see it. I will get the detailed info then. Is there any other info I should ask him for?
HI:

A copy of the cert would be helpful, as that would save you writing down all the details (dimensions, etc). Are you having the stone independently appraised before it is set?

cheers--Sharon

JRK

Rough_Rock
Couldn''t get a copy of the cert but I did get the numbers off the page the diamond was wrapped in.
EGL Cert number is AX1001977

Princess Weight 1.81
Width 6.68mm length 6.88 L/W 1.03 EX
depth 4.93mm 73.8% P
crown 42.8 6.3% VG
pavil 59.8 63.3% P
table 5.12mm 76.6% VG
culet 0.6% off 0.6% EX
girdle 4.3% (4.6 - 4.0) % VG

I looked at the finish cut which was "Good".

JRK

Rough_Rock
Forgot to say my gf and I both think that this diamond looks more like a J color diamond than an I. You can see that slightest tint of yellow.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/28/2007 9:23:57 AM
Author: JRK
Forgot to say my gf and I both think that this diamond looks more like a J color diamond than an I. You can see that slightest tint of yellow.
HI:

You mention "seeing the slightest hint of yellow", but didn't say whether this bothered you or your girlfriend. So I guess that begs the question "what are you looking for in a diamond"?

If you have time, use the search function on the middle toolbar here and search "EGL". You will find a plethora of posts on this subject, and the information may be enlightening to you. The long and the short of it is: that EGL lab grading tends to be "soft"--color and clarity grades can be "out" as judged by an independent appraiser and/or stricter lab such as GIA or AGS--and that not all EGL labs are "created equal"--US and Canada labs tend to be stricter than Isreal and other European sites. Here is a most recent post in the SMTR ring forum that provides an example:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tiffany-knife-edge-solitaire-thanks-to-martin-fuller-pricescope-quest-jewelers-and-sara.73224/

Are you and your GF happy with the appearance of "your" diamond? Have you shopped around for stones?

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results