shape
carat
color
clarity

Good Old Gold - another happy customer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

murphslaw1978

Rough_Rock
Well, I think it''s only fair to share my experiences from the Chicago perspective. After looking everywhere in downtown Chicago and also the suburbs, I still couldn''t find what I was looking for. The B&Ms I looked at were: C.D. Peacock, Tiffany, Jared, James & Sons, Rogers & Holland, New York Jewelers, DimendScassi, Zales, and countless other public and private jewelers. The online stores I looked at were: Whiteflash, BlueNile, NiceIce, Faycullen, Pricescope, Goodoldgold.

When you go to 5 S. Wabash in downtown Chicago, you''d better watch out. Everyone is hawking you, asking you to sit down, trying to push a product. Once girl actually grabbed me like I was a celebrity! Anyway, most of the stones they bring out are average-cut diamonds, but what really bothered me was the misrepresentation. There are some decent jewelers, but even those will still try to force a particular product on you; usually not ideal-cut stones.

Rogers & Holland was decent. But they were still pushing a particular product with a higher than acceptable price.

Tiffany was great. So was Hearts on Fire. Many nice stones, but boy do you pay for it. Additionally, they still didn''t have technology, knowledge, and selection of the stones.

GOG was neutral. They don''t force anything on you. They don''t bad-mouth anyone. They quite simply have the best diamonds I''ve seen. It was really the technology and selection that sealed the deal for me in the end. Service proved very good, since I needed the stone in Chicago from NY within 12 hours of my purchase. They overnighted it to me very quickly, with full appraisal, extra loupe, H&A viewer, etc.

Here''s my advice to anyone who wants online prices and Tiffany or Heart on Fire quality. Get an airline ticket for $120 and see what GOG has. Even if you don''t buy from them, that $120 is worth the day trip. Besides, these guys are just plain fun and their stones are exciting to look at :)

Mike Murphy - Downtown Chicago

Mochaboy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences :) I''m working with Tim at GoG at the moment but the only problem is that I''m about 3-4 months out... So I''ll be using that time to educate myself even more...

My experience with them has been phenomenal so far.

Best of luck to you and your wife to be :)

murphslaw1978

Rough_Rock
I''ll tell you, I was a little overwhelmed with all the information at first, but I feel so much better after learning about diamonds. I had the same problem when learning about getting a classic Porsche, but after you soak it all up, you''ll end up making a good buy no matter where you go.

In the end, I have a appreciation for stones that I previously saw no real value in.

Good luck to you and yours :)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m glad you had a great experience! I can''t wait to see your stone.
36.gif

murphslaw1978

Rough_Rock
I''ll have to get some close-up pictures once we finalize the setting.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 3:57:19 PM
Author: murphslaw1978
I''ll have to get some close-up pictures once we finalize the setting.
Wonderful, it''s always nice to hear a happy ending here!! I can''t wait to see your pictures, GOG''s stones are amazing I''m sure it will beautiful.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m glad you had a great experience with GOG!! Can''t wait to see pics once the ring is finished!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

So far so good--all we need now are PICS!
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, Mike, what did you get?! We got my anniversary stone from GOG, and it is beautiful! GOG is terrific to work with!

(On another note, my husband has played around with old Porsches for years. He first had a 1960 356B and now he has a 1966 912. His dad has a Speedster. He even has a hobby of buying old parts and rebuilding them. He has a couple of engines now.)

g00mba

Rough_Rock
I''m very interested in what you got. I live in the NW burbs of Chicago and I''m trying to get a handle on everything you just posted about.

What was the time period from when you began looking for a stone to when you actually bought one?

hmmm

Rough_Rock
I didn''t do all the B&M you did, but concur with 5 S. Wabash. It''s like walking into a fifteen story circus with everyone trying to steer you one way or the other. I got anxious just being in the building... and won''t go back. congrats.

murphslaw1978

Rough_Rock
My avitar is an actual picture of the stone, but I want to take more pictures. Anyone have a recommendation as to how to take close-ups? A regular old 4mp digital camera doesn''t always focus properly on the close-ups, IMO.

murphslaw1978

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 8:31:53 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Hey, Mike, what did you get?! We got my anniversary stone from GOG, and it is beautiful! GOG is terrific to work with!

(On another note, my husband has played around with old Porsches for years. He first had a 1960 356B and now he has a 1966 912. His dad has a Speedster. He even has a hobby of buying old parts and rebuilding them. He has a couple of engines now.)

Hey, diamondseeker2006, I got a 1.21 F VS1 Square hearts & arrows. I found that these square stones had about the same light return as the ideal rounds, but of course, it''s in the square shape.

As far as the Porsches you mentioned, yeah, those old ones are the real essence of Porsche and are the most fun to drive, IMO. There is something special about them. Mine is newer, but definitely not new: a 1988 Carrera, nothing special, but it''s very reliable, not very expensive and quite fun to drive.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
No surprises here. I got my ring from GOG, great stones, great to work with.

Congrats on your ring, I can''t wait to see it! (I love squares)

Try doing a search on here for taking pics, it''s been discussed much.
28.gif

murphslaw1978

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 9:19:38 PM
Author: g00mba
I''m very interested in what you got. I live in the NW burbs of Chicago and I''m trying to get a handle on everything you just posted about.

What was the time period from when you began looking for a stone to when you actually bought one?

I looked and researched for about 2-3 months. I started off slowly, just going into nearby stones for fun and listening to what they had to say. I never argued my point or tried to become biased, I just soaked it all in. In the last month of looking, I spent about 3-4 nights a week online researching. It was at this time that I felt comfortable going in and looking at stones again, but this time with a little critical viewing. I actually didn''t see GOG''s videos until almost halfway through my research. If there are other diamond videos out there, I would have a look at them, because they are actually a good tool, believe it or not, for comparing stones.

The problem I was having is that I didn''t know what constituted "a beautiful stone." Some poorly cut stones look "whiter" than an ideal cut stone in certain lighting conditions. As Jonathan at GOG said to me, "there are a lot of beautiful stones, but tastes differ, and sometimes two opposing points of view are both right."

So to find the best stone possible, I looked at as many different lighting conditions as possible. If stone A looks the best 4 out of 6 times on average, but stone B only looks good 3 out of 6 times, then I would choose stone A over B. Some stones I saw has amazing brightness, but another stone had tremendous fire. I went for a stone that seemed to perform well in as many lighting conditions as possible.

g00mba

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/9/2007 10:42:46 AM

I looked and researched for about 2-3 months. I started off slowly, just going into nearby stones for fun and listening to what they had to say. I never argued my point or tried to become biased, I just soaked it all in. In the last month of looking, I spent about 3-4 nights a week online researching. It was at this time that I felt comfortable going in and looking at stones again, but this time with a little critical viewing. I actually didn''t see GOG''s videos until almost halfway through my research. If there are other diamond videos out there, I would have a look at them, because they are actually a good tool, believe it or not, for comparing stones.

The problem I was having is that I didn''t know what constituted ''a beautiful stone.'' Some poorly cut stones look ''whiter'' than an ideal cut stone in certain lighting conditions. As Jonathan at GOG said to me, ''there are a lot of beautiful stones, but tastes differ, and sometimes two opposing points of view are both right.''

So to find the best stone possible, I looked at as many different lighting conditions as possible. If stone A looks the best 4 out of 6 times on average, but stone B only looks good 3 out of 6 times, then I would choose stone A over B. Some stones I saw has amazing brightness, but another stone had tremendous fire. I went for a stone that seemed to perform well in as many lighting conditions as possible.

Thanks for the reply. I have recently started looking for stones and am feeling some anxiety over the situation. Then I found this website and GOG online and started reading, reading, and reading, while breathing a sigh of relief. Other tutorials I have found up until now just don''t compare and the videos are very great. I started watching them last night and agree with you on being a great tool. Understanding becomes solidified after watching them.

I live in the NW burbs and I''m going to hit a whole bunch of jewelry stores this weekend. So that should be fun.

The stone you got is exactly what I''m looking for, a square H&A. They are very amazing.

What type of environments did you view in? I take it the jeweler was with you?

Oh, and what airline did you fly with to NY for $120? The more I think about it, the more this seems like the best option for me right now.

When you went to GOG did you buy the stone that day? Or just look to get a better understanding and finally purchase online?

Did you get the stone set at GOG or go somewhere else?

Thanks for your help,
~Jon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2007 11:08:07 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have recently started looking for stones and am feeling some anxiety over the situation. Then I found this website and GOG online and started reading, reading, and reading, while breathing a sigh of relief. Other tutorials I have found up until now just don't compare and the videos are very great. I started watching them last night and agree with you on being a great tool. Understanding becomes solidified after watching them.

I live in the NW burbs and I'm going to hit a whole bunch of jewelry stores this weekend. So that should be fun.

The stone you got is exactly what I'm looking for, a square H&A. They are very amazing.

Oh, and what airline did you fly with to NY for $120? The more I think about it, the more this seems like the best option for me right now.

When you went to GOG did you buy the stone that day? Or just look to get a better understanding and finally purchase online?

Thanks for your help,
~Jon
Jon, I will answer that we did not go to NY (to Good Old Gold). We narrowed down our selection to two diamonds and had them sent to us to look at. We chose one of those two and then sent them both back (with one to be set and the other returned). This was less expensive that flying to NY and spending the night, although that would have been really fun! WE probably could have narrowed it down to just one diamond before havign them sent, but I wasn't sure what size I wanted.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
GOG is a class act all the way. can''t wait to see pics of the stone/ring..

g00mba

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/9/2007 4:44:55 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have recently started looking for stones and am feeling some anxiety over the situation. Then I found this website and GOG online and started reading, reading, and reading, while breathing a sigh of relief. Other tutorials I have found up until now just don''t compare and the videos are very great. I started watching them last night and agree with you on being a great tool. Understanding becomes solidified after watching them.

I live in the NW burbs and I''m going to hit a whole bunch of jewelry stores this weekend. So that should be fun.

The stone you got is exactly what I''m looking for, a square H&A. They are very amazing.

Thanks for your help,

~Jon

Jon, I will answer that we did not go to NY (to Good Old Gold). We narrowed down our selection to two diamonds and had them sent to us to look at. We chose one of those two and then sent them both back (with one to be set and the other returned). This was less expensive that flying to NY and spending the night, although that would have been really fun! WE probably could have narrowed it down to just one diamond before havign them sent, but I wasn''t sure what size I wanted.

Diamondseeker,

They sent the 2 stones to you? That is really pretty cool, I didn''t know they did that.

I was looking at going as just a day trip. Fly in to NY in the morning and out at night. It would be tight, but I''ll still keep it as a backup option.

Did you end up going with a setting from GoG or somewhere else. I''m still looking at settings and such.

Thanks,
Jon

Arcam

Rough_Rock
"They sent the 2 stones to you? That is really pretty cool, I didn''t know they did that."

they will send you 100 stones if you pay for them. The person above most likely either paid for both of them (and got a refund on the one they returned minus shipping) or they had them sent to an appraiser and viewed the stones there.(and again paid for return shipping)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, we paid for two stones and they refunded the money for the stone we didn''t want. You could probably do this with a CC as well but you wouldn''t get the wire discount.

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Murphslaw, its funny that you had such a similar diamond buying experience to me... I also live in Chicago and just posted the results of my efforts.... I wonder if its the type-a legal personalities that draw them to Pricescope? Who knows :)

g00mba

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/10/2007 10:18:23 AM
Yes, we paid for two stones and they refunded the money for the stone we didn''t want. You could probably do this with a CC as well but you wouldn''t get the wire discount.

How much is the wire discount? I couldn''t find it on the site.

Arcam

Rough_Rock
"How much is the wire discount? I couldn''t find it on the site."

it varies, if the website lists the price of the stone, it will have both the "Price" and "Bank Wire Price". If the price of the stone is not on the site, ask GOG and they can tell you.

murphslaw1978

Rough_Rock

The problem I was having is that I didn''t know what constituted ''a beautiful stone.'' Some poorly cut stones look ''whiter'' than an ideal cut stone in certain lighting conditions. As Jonathan at GOG said to me, ''there are a lot of beautiful stones, but tastes differ, and sometimes two opposing points of view are both right.''

Thanks for your help,

~Jon

I viewed the stone under the GIA Diamond Doc, the store lighting itself, then we moved the stone under a high powered LED lighting source. We also covered the stone with our hands to view indirect, highly diffused light. I would also recommend taking the stone outside if possible, but I didn''t do that with GOG''s stone. I did do that with some other stones, however, but the jeweler was indeed with me.

Jet Blue just started flying out of O''hare recently, so I chose that airline. The ticket was $49/way, but with tax, it was $120 total. I did a day trip, so there was no hotel to pay for. Actually, GOG fed me dinner as well from the restaurant next-door. I had this pasta pizza that was really unique :)

I did not buy the stone that day, but after seeing what they had with my own eyes, I felt comfortable buying something online. All the square H&A stones looks good, so comparing them is difficult.

GOG set the stone in a $100 Tiffany-style 4-prong lightweight 14k white gold setting. The reason I chose this route was because I wanted to pick out the setting with my fiancee. I''m glad, too, since I could never have gotten what we just picked out.

You can have GOG or any trustworthy jeweler in Chicago set any stone into any setting you want. We found one finally that seem trustworthy/honest called Wabash Diamond Co.

After the ring is finished, we are thinking about taking it to Jewelry Judge in Glenview for a final appraisal and possible laser inscription.

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Hi Mike,

I have spoken with Richard Drucker on the phone before (your appraisor). He seemed like a really great guy and went out of his way to answer all of my questions. I will probably go back to him in the next month or two myself to have him appraise my fiance''s e-ring. Good luck.

g00mba

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/10/2007 4:57:50 PM

Thanks for your help,

~Jon

I viewed the stone under the GIA Diamond Doc, the store lighting itself, then we moved the stone under a high powered LED lighting source. We also covered the stone with our hands to view indirect, highly diffused light. I would also recommend taking the stone outside if possible, but I didn''t do that with GOG''s stone. I did do that with some other stones, however, but the jeweler was indeed with me.

Jet Blue just started flying out of O''hare recently, so I chose that airline. The ticket was $49/way, but with tax, it was $120 total. I did a day trip, so there was no hotel to pay for. Actually, GOG fed me dinner as well from the restaurant next-door. I had this pasta pizza that was really unique :)

I did not buy the stone that day, but after seeing what they had with my own eyes, I felt comfortable buying something online. All the square H&A stones looks good, so comparing them is difficult.

GOG set the stone in a $100 Tiffany-style 4-prong lightweight 14k white gold setting. The reason I chose this route was because I wanted to pick out the setting with my fiancee. I''m glad, too, since I could never have gotten what we just picked out.

You can have GOG or any trustworthy jeweler in Chicago set any stone into any setting you want. We found one finally that seem trustworthy/honest called Wabash Diamond Co.

After the ring is finished, we are thinking about taking it to Jewelry Judge in Glenview for a final appraisal and possible laser inscription.

I looked at flights from United and those seem pretty pricey. I think Jet Blue or Southwest would be good deals.

How did you find Wabash Diamond Co? Is this where you are planning on getting your setting from/custom made or just set?

Looking at Jewelry Judge''s website, seems pretty decent. I don''t know much yet and am still coming up to speed on everything. From what I''ve been reading here on PS, it is best to go with an appraisal where they don''t buy or sell jewelry. I''ll keep this place in mind for myself.

What is the laser inscription for (diamond or ring)? Sorry if this is a noob question, but I''m guessing tracking or sentimental.

Jon

murphslaw1978

Rough_Rock
I looked at flights from United and those seem pretty pricey. I think Jet Blue or Southwest would be good deals.

How did you find Wabash Diamond Co? Is this where you are planning on getting your setting from/custom made or just set?

Looking at Jewelry Judge''s website, seems pretty decent. I don''t know much yet and am still coming up to speed on everything. From what I''ve been reading here on PS, it is best to go with an appraisal where they don''t buy or sell jewelry. I''ll keep this place in mind for myself.

What is the laser inscription for (diamond or ring)? Sorry if this is a noob question, but I''m guessing tracking or sentimental.

Jon

I just stumbled onto Diamond Co. Actually, my fiancee found them and they quoted a great price. I wouldn''t mind buying the setting from GOG, but I live in Chicago and it''s just too much work - we have such a hard time deciding anyway, that Chicago is a must for this.

The laser inscription is just a $50 add-on. GIA, for example, laser-inscribed their stones than are under 1 carat, but not the stones larger than 1 carat. You can laser-inscribe your stone if you want to. For example, you could put your initials and her initials on it, but I''m only thinking about putting the GIA cert number on it. The only reason to do this, IMO, is to be absolutely certain that your stone is the same stone that you bought and the same stone that was appraised. I can''t imagine that a dishonest jeweler would swap your stone with someone else''s but the lasering would certainly make certain that you would always have the same stone for as long as you owned the diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results