shape
carat
color
clarity

Good Cutting gems are readily available

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gemexplorer

Rough_Rock
It is in my opinion that no one today will tolerate any poor cut gems from any vendors. The new style of cuttings are in and they are utterly available for the users and for jewelers.

Just take a look of these common "Citrines" with the added tools from Germany now cutting in Asia and namely China - the quality of the cutting will continue to improve with designs and more available for the market.

thanks for sharing. No one has to tolerate any bad cut stones anymore !!!!

Paul Yih

MVC-028F.JPG

Gemstudded

Rough_Rock
I agree with you there. I have been surprised by how good some of the SE Asia cutting is now. I have noticed the Millenium cut on some of my cheaper stones and is of excellent quality. I just hope more care in selecting cuttable material goes the same way. Too many stones are ruined by neglegence from not observing the right part of the rough for cutting.

gemexplorer

Rough_Rock
Precisely, as I have been following the gem trade in these past 27 years from Brazil to Asia and had use cutters from Brazil to Sri Lanka, before that, Korea and even Taiwan, then switching into (back and forth) Thailand and Hong Kong (China actually) and now predominantly in China.

But what is most astonishing and amazing are the accelerate improvement of cutting in China and the speed of gem cutting and turn around time. That is something that almost every one can try and should have access. Just like all sectors and many industries, the technology today and the trasference of such technology in tools and in equipment - plus the logistics in and around Guandong, Shenzhen, HK, Macao hub - or in that region so called the Pearl River Delta - there are now over 60,0000 cutters or more in the region -- and there are daily improvement on the gem cutting which is a real plus.

But along the way, the Millenium cut and other cuts where used to be exclusive of the boys from Idar Oberstein are now also amply cut and well expressed in Brazil and this trend will continue to force the "poorly" cut gems out of the market - by me, that is a force of positive evolution in the industry.

Thank you for sharing .
wavey.gif

bluegrass

Rough_Rock
Hi, could name some of the good cutters for smaller quantities of stones at this point? Do you think it would be a good idea to buy a few rough stones and get it cut in China and put them into rings to save some money on my diamond endeavor? Thanks.

mogok

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 8/26/2003 4:40:05 AM Gemstudded wrote:

I agree with you there. I have been surprised by how good some of the SE Asia cutting is now.----------------

Well Asians were among the first to cut gemstones: Mining and cutting centers in Burma and Sri Lanka are probably among the oldest cutting centers in the world.
Burmese gem people have created the industry that you have now in Thailand and this industry is now spreading to other countries due to cheaper labor.
The point is that the Burmese cutters aware of the rarity of the material they cut favor in the 4C the weight. In several "engeneer type" western markets due to the influence of diamonds and in order to valorise the work done in the west an premium is given to cut and brilliance.
Some people say that a fine stone "native cut" is a piece of junk... They will prefer to call as gem a nicely cut piece of junk...
Now anyway in Asia due to this new evolution of the markets, due to the new machines availables and also due to the fact that some gemstones are just plentiful the cutting is "improving" to sell better...

When I see for exemple all these Russian and Israeli cutters in Bangkok for example I'm not that surprised to witness that evolution.

But top color and clarity unheated rubies and sapphires are still mostly "native" cut... Hopefully somewhere as to me it add some more genuine taste to the stone!

All the best,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results