shape
carat
color
clarity

Gold ring with blue stone and enamel

Davidson2

Rough_Rock
Here is a freinds wonderful jewel.
Not the best photos but I was hoping someone could confirm that the main stone is a sapphire?
If not any clues as to what it could be many thanks in advance.

26943187_1818613511503845_38716981_n.jpg 26995333_1818613371503859_1697656420_n.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a unique and lovely ring!

Unfortunately, there is simply no way to make an accurate assessment of a blue stone from a photograph.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am NO expert, so take anything I say with a HUGE grain of salt, but the color looks more tanzanite than sapphire to me. The photo looks a little blurry--is the stone included? Or a little dirty? Or is it just a less than ideal photo? Post a picture over in Colored Gems thread to hear from more experienced PSers. I'm pretty sure they will say to have it appraised/tested to get the information you want. It is a really pretty ring.

Davidson2

Rough_Rock
What a unique and lovely ring!

Unfortunately, there is simply no way to make an accurate assessment of a blue stone from a photograph.

Ok thank you for your response. My freinds local jeweller said the ring has possible Arabic origin??
Can anyone confirm the style and period of the ring?

thanks

Davidson2

Rough_Rock
I am NO expert, so take anything I say with a HUGE grain of salt, but the color looks more tanzanite than sapphire to me. The photo looks a little blurry--is the stone included? Or a little dirty? Or is it just a less than ideal photo? Post a picture over in Colored Gems thread to hear from more experienced PSers. I'm pretty sure they will say to have it appraised/tested to get the information you want. It is a really pretty ring.

Thanks for your response. I will ask for some more pictures of better quality.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it’s an antique ring it can’t be Tanzanite as Tanzanite was only discovered in 1967.
I would say it’s sapphire. Sapphire comes in all shades of blue and also more opaque gems are common.
Does it have any gold assay marks? The Arab countries use a symbol based gold assay mark, rather than a number like most Western countries use.
Yes, it could be of Ottoman Empire origin They were very fond of enamel work.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357 is right. No older ring will contain tanzanite as the original stone.
It looks like heavily included sapphire to me.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I did not know that about tanzanite. I should probably keep my mouth shut, since I know so little!:oops2:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did not know that about tanzanite. I should probably keep my mouth shut, since I know so little!:oops2:
Oh gosh! Don't feel that way! We are all still learning.....I know I am!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's okay, now I can impress people at cocktail parties--"Hey, did you know that tanzanite was only discovered in 1967?" Then I can have one of those embarrassing moments when I realize I'm at a regular party and not a PS Get Together. :lol-2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I wasn’t being a smarty pants, it’s just I’ve been recently learning more about Tanzanite because apparently I have some.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apart from the age of the ring, it just doesn’t look like tanzanite to me. This is my tanzanite.

C0D69042-3842-427D-8A61-185BBE99BF91.jpeg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My innital reaction was that it looks kinda like a dark Lapis Lazuli to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results