shape
carat
color
clarity

Gold chains?

gongli

Rough_Rock
Hi

My wife has a number of pendants but she can't wear them because her gold chains have broken over the years.. would like to ask for some recommendations for good quality and price plain gold chains? How many carats is good?

Thanks
Neal

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
You’ll want to try and match the pendant to the right color gold. Look closely on the pendant for marking for 10, 14, 18k or often expressed as a number like 416, 583, 750 etc. (others are possible). 925 means base is sterling silver but it could be plated in something else. You may need a magnifying glass. If it looks pink-ish, it could be rose gold and white could be white gold.

If you can figure out the markings, post that here and a photo of the pendants and I bet somebody can help you figure out the rest.

gongli

Rough_Rock
She has several pendants. The pendants are 14.18 and 21k (namchai pendant!)

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
If you are looking for just 1 chain for all of them, I would go 18k But ideally they would match the karat weight of the pendant. Some golds look different from one karat to the next.

If she is petite, 16” is about right. I am larger all around and go 20”

gongli

Rough_Rock
That makes sense.. I should get 3 of them. can you recommend some good vendors?

Thanks a lot!

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
I like the one I got from blue Nile. Lots of lengths colors. Would work with most pendants.

https://www.bluenile.com/cable-chain-14k-yellow-gold_20796

I also have one from Tiffany but it is about twice the price and not much different... maybe a little thinner strand so a bit more delicate but perhaps a little nicer looking too. Still, my blue Nile chain I move from pendant to pendant no problem. Give me a minute and I post of photos of it with various pendants.

Another idea, especially if you think a 16 or 18” would be fine, is to buy a new pendant that comes with a chain. Most of the, do and some pendants are not much more than a chain anyway. Not high end but by any means but I just got a tanzanite and diamond pendant with an 18” gold chain in 10k for $110 (clearance) from Jared.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
D64838C5-4771-4D85-B6B0-D3FB993EF1FE.jpeg
5E3B8216-7D81-4B69-8E6F-93654CB99651.jpeg

8FD5E3BA-9AB3-4F23-A08D-5036038F3B4C.jpeg

First two are of the blue Nile chain I linked (mine is 14k rose gold).

Last photo shows a comparison of strand thickness. Top is from Jared, next is Tiffany and last is blue Nile.

gongli

Rough_Rock
Thanks. Beautiful pieces!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO I would get a chain for each pendant so you don't have to change them out to wear them. I worry about dropping them and losing them that way. I recently have switched to wheat style chains; they don't knot up as easily as some chains and based on my google research are considered sturdy chains. Make sure the clasp is secure.

They have adjustable chains now too which are nice so you can adjust them based on the style of blouse or top you have on.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love wheat chains! Also box chains. Both are great for pendants they are strong and have a nice appearance. My only word of caution is that you need to be sure the chain will fit through the bail of the pendant. Some pendants have small or narrow bails.

I agree with having a chain for each pendant if you can afford it. I've dropped more pendants in the course of changing chains....:eek2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results