shape
carat
color
clarity

Going off the pill - Acne help!

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
In our last thread about going off the pill, I noticed that acne was a huge complaint. Currently my skin is beautiful and soft and acne free. Every time I try to stop the pill the acne is what gets to me and I go right back on it. I really would like to stop for good this time! I don't need it and there's a lot of side effects that I'm noticing and don't like. I never had my acne as a teenager under control so I'm not sure what to do to keep my face from becoming an oil slick and disgusting. What are the suggestions of the great PSers here?

Thank you!

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
I hope someone has some advice on this, b/c I've got post-HBC acne! WOOF! My face is manageable, but my back is a landmine. It's icky and I want it to go away! ;( :angryfire: :knockout:

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
No advice but comisseration from me. I had a baby in January and ever since then my face has looked horrible. I have not looked this bad since high school. To top it off I cannot take HBC due to a clotting disorder so I'm stuck looking like a 13 year old at 28 ;(

amc80

Ideal_Rock
The only thing that keeps my skin clear off of BC is proactiv. The commercials are annoying but their stuff really works. They will try to sell you a three step system, but I just use the cleanser. I also use Neutrogena's acne free body wash (the orange stuff).

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pro Activ didn't work very well for me years ago, but I just ordered it again, b/c it's "new and improved" so will give it a shot. Otherwise, I use Skin Medica, the acne system, and it works really well..once my period is looming tho, my skin gets pretty icky. My skin was also beautiful when I was on the pill..so frustrating, isn't it??? I'm 36, and held onto the "you'll grow out of it" hope for years and am still waiting.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1303150587|2899215 said:
Pro Activ didn't work very well for me years ago, but I just ordered it again, b/c it's "new and improved" so will give it a shot.

The new and improved stuff isn't just hype. I'm not sure if it works any better but it's a bit creamier, which makes it easier to use.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1303155716|2899313 said:
packrat|1303150587|2899215 said:
Pro Activ didn't work very well for me years ago, but I just ordered it again, b/c it's "new and improved" so will give it a shot.

The new and improved stuff isn't just hype. I'm not sure if it works any better but it's a bit creamier, which makes it easier to use.

Oh cool..maybe it really will be just the ticket then. Fingers crossed anyway!

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have no idea why this worked, or if it was coincidental, but this is how my skin got clear after BC:

I was on Ortho TriCyclen for about 5 years. I decided I had enough of the hormones and went off. About two months later my skin became AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. Like, sit in my room and refuse to leave the house and cry awful. I got immediately back on, but tried a new pill. Ocella. I was on that for a while, and it helped my skin, but not like OTC did. I finally started noticing that my skin was clearer on sugar pill weeks than pill weeks. I ended up stopping the pill, and my skin has been completely clear.

I don't know what happened. No Idea, but it got me off of the pill with clear skin. If anyone can draw a scientific reason for that, maybe it can help others.

Other than that, I know that balancing your hormones naturally is supposed to help. Also, possibly look into/talk to your doctor about spironolactone, which helps with hormonal acne. Maybe you could take a stronger dose of spiro, and wean off of it slowly.

Supposedly your skin should get back to normal after about a year off of HBC, but I never got that far since the acne was so bad.

Sorry for everyone who is "stuck" on HBC! Its terrible! I wish they'd warn you about this when you take it in the first place!

ETA: Here are some reviews on people who have tried spiro, if anyone is interested: http://www.acne.org/spironolactone-reviews/305/page1.html

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I was really struggling with acne very recently. I've always dealt with it to some degree, but I could keep it under control with over-the-counter products. All of the sudden though, it seemed like a lot of my makeup items were causing me to break out, even though I'd never had that problem before. Then, I switched to a different birth control pill (Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo), and it immediately became even worse.

I tried all different types of makeup, but that didn't help. I considered switching to another pill, but the Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo is probably my favorite so far, since it causes the fewest side effects for me (except for the acne).

I was getting really frustrated and upset, so I went to a dermatologist. She prescribed Aczone Gel for me. It is pricey, especially if you don't have insurance - but it has really made a difference for me. It's been about six weeks since I first started using it, and it took a few weeks to really work. Now though, I don't get nearly as many pimples. When I do get one, it's usually gone within a day or two. I also like that it doesn't dry my skin out the way that other acne products often do.

I now wear makeup without having to worry, and I have been able to stay on the Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo. My fingers are crossed that this continues to work for me!

I definitely think that trying ProActiv sounds like a great plan. If that doesn't work though, a trip to the dermatologist might really be beneficial. I was honestly pretty skeptical at first, but so far, I'm pleased with the results. :)

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I don't have a really good answer for you, but I just wanted to commiserate and vent about acne. It's ridiculous...I actually had gorgeous skin as a teenager, but it popped up in college (10 years ago) and won't go away. Over-the-counter stuff like Proactiv never makes a dent in it. Over time I realized neither did prescriptions, including birth control. At one time I was on 3-4 prescriptions between topicals and pills, but nothing really worked. Eventually I went on Accutane, and it was miraculous. It completely cleared up my acne during treatment and for about 6 months afterward. Sadly, my acne has gone back to its regular baseline since then, and Accutane is notoriously difficult to get. You have to be in a national registry, get monthly blood draws, and use 2 forms of birth control. I also had some pretty severe side effects, so a second course of treatment is probably out of the question for me. I'm sick of getting, refilling, and paying for prescriptions that don't seem to work, so I'm just using the rest of my leftover Proactiv in hopes that it might start working.

So anyway, this probably wasn't that helpful to you, since the only thing that worked for me was Accutane, but you can't be on that and off birth control. But good luck!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Totally forgot about this- I went on a low dose of minocycline, which is an antibiotic similar to tetracycline, in my early 20s. I was on it for a long time and it definitely helped. Eventually I was able to wean myself off of it. I don't know if it was age or what, but my skin was much better. Proactiv is enough now to keep my face clear.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
elledizzy5|1303268819|2900686 said:
I was on Ortho TriCyclen for about 5 years. I decided I had enough of the hormones and went off. About two months later my skin became AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. Like, sit in my room and refuse to leave the house and cry awful. I got immediately back on, but tried a new pill. Ocella. I was on that for a while, and it helped my skin, but not like OTC did. I finally started noticing that my skin was clearer on sugar pill weeks than pill weeks. I ended up stopping the pill, and my skin has been completely clear.

I don't know what happened. No Idea, but it got me off of the pill with clear skin. If anyone can draw a scientific reason for that, maybe it can help others.
Oh, man. I wish this were the case for me. I'm in month 2 of being off Ocella, and my skin is going crazy. I had amazing skin on it, and now I am so regretting stopping it. I totally want to run back to my doctor to get it prescribed again, but I feel like I'm going to have to bite the bullet at some point in the next several years so we can TTC, so why not just suffer through this now? (We are definitely not TTC now, though!)

I have been using Differin, and it has been kind of helping, but it dries out my skin so much. I have to peel off tons of dead skin in the shower every morning--yuck.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I'm on Ocella now and am planning on going off of it late this year in order to TTC early next year. I am DREADING it because I already deal with some bumps and clogged pores as it is. I got my father's lovely skin... :rolleyes:

Anyway, at the moment I manage anything on my body with oatmeal soap. I get it at Trader Joes but Aveeno products work really well too. I was having issues with zits on my chest and once I started religiously using oatmeal soap they all went away. I highly recommend it (and its fairly inexpensive if you can find a non-Aveeno product, not harsh on your skin at all like some anti-acne cleansers) for the body. Whenever I am away from home and use a regular soap for a few days I get to deal with a week of blemishes.

I realized that I was using too-harsh cleaners on my face and that it wasn't helping my situation. I would get really overdried with high concentrations of acne medication and the dead skin cells were probably contributing to the pore clogging and zits. I started using Aveeno's foaming facial cleaner which has a super mild concentration of salicylic acid to help keep the inflammation down. I combine that with a washcloth scrub and it helps keep the dead skin cells off of my face. Lastly, I use a mild moisturizer (Neutragena daily with SPF 15) to keep hydrated, which keeps me from picking at my bumps and introducing nasty dirt into my pores.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
It took about three full cycles off HBC for my skin to really freak out, but it's now a hot mess. I just started using Trish McEvoy beta hydroxy pads again, they did awesome things for my skin before my wedding...but I was still on HBC then, so I don't know if they will work as well now. I'm giving it a couple weeks and will see how it goes. They're REALLY pricey, though, so they'd better do something good!!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
I've started breaking out in awful cystic acne all over my chin and jaw line... it hurts and looks TERRIBLE. My HS students have far better skin than I ;( and I definitely didn't suffer from acne in high school.

I was prescribed Spironolactone, which Elle mentioned earlier. It's actually for blood pressure or heart disease, and you should have your potassium levels checked before getting a script. DH was floored when I came home with the script (he is a PharmD), but I've learned it IS semi-common for hormonal acne. You also should NOT get preggo when on Spironolactone, as it can interfere with the formation of sex organs and cause feminization in male fetuses.

I haven't filled it yet- still waiting on my bloodwork. I HAVE been using a combo of Epiduo and Aczone... My skin is still awful, if not worse. Ugh. It's painful and embarrassing.

One OTC thing that has been a great temporary fix is the Burts Bees Blemish Stick. The problem is that after 2 weeks of use it gets nasty skin cells, oil and dirt stuck inside the vial :tongue:

Izzy03

Brilliant_Rock
I feel your pain! I had the occasional zip before starting the pill, gorgeous skin on the pill, and terrible breakout since quitting the pill almost 2 years ago. I am actually going to be seeing an endocrinologist soon because being on the pill for so long has completely wrecked my cycle, my period has become the most unpredictable mess! And the hormonal acne has become more than I can handle.

I decided after 2 years of dealing with annoying breakouts, I finally decided to take charge and began researching my options. Here are the things I decided to try.....

I have leftover Pro-Active products that I have been using inconsistently because I hate that Benzoyl peroxide bleaches everything, I didn't think it was very effective! Then I read a tip online saying that it works much better if put a lot of the "Step 3, Repairing Lotion" on. The directions on the bottle instruct to applying a thin layer, but I finally globbed a bunch on and worked it in. My face turned really red and it stung a bit, but the next day my skin looked a lot better!!! Also, it works better if you wait about 10 minutes after washing your face to put it on!!!!.

Currently I use a mild cleanser, not one that is aimed for acne, but just something oil free that is sure to get all my makeup off, wait 10 minutes, apply the "Step 3" Pro-active stuff", wait another 15-30 minutes, then put on my usual alpha-hydroxy Neutrogena moisturizer (gotta prevent those wrinkles!) I also make sure I sleep on an old pillow case and don't wear shirts I wouldn't want to ruin. If I allow the stuff to dry really well I don't seem to have a problem with it bleaching stuff, but better safe than sorry! Recently I have been sure to stick to this routine EVERY SINGLE NIGHT and my skin has improved a lot. Also, my skin did go through a period of mild dryness and some slight peeling, but if you start gradually with the benzoyl peroxide it should be too bad.

I had read reviews about a line of products called "Acne Free" which is pretty much just like ProActive (a three step, benzoyl peroxide system). The reviews on Acne Free are better than those for ProActive, plus it is a lot cheaper, can be purchased at Ulta, Walmart, Walgreens, etc, so you don't have to deal with ProActives stupid mailing system (they charge me for two shipments AFTER I canceled my order). I plan on purchasing Acne Free when I get my next good Ulta coupon.

I have also read great things about lemon juice! I have yet to try it, but a lot of reviews have claimed it worked great. The reviews I read had the users putting some lemon juice on a cotton ball and swabbing it of the face. I think I may also give this one a shot.

If you start a good skin care system at the first sign of breakouts, I think they will be manageable. I was pretty passive about the whole thing because I thought it would go away, I really regret that! Had I taken care of it early on, I'm sure it wouldn't have become such an issue.

Elle~ I was not aware that Aldactone was used for hormonal acne, but it makes sense because I have seen patients on it to help control polycystic ovarian disease. Someone mentioned Aldactone is use is for blood pressure and heart disease, which is true, but the drug is really just a diuretic (there are precautions with it though!). I am interested in looking more into this!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
@izzy- I tried the generic proactiv and it didn't really work. But that could just be me. Also, I My mall has a proactiv kiosk and I know a lot of malls have them...much easier because you're right, the mail order thing is a pain.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
*%$#@#! I've been off for one week now and wow. So far no acne (knock on wood). I can actually eat a meal and feel full and I'm not thirsty all the time. After some research I found surprising side effects that I was not told about including causing glucose intolerance and loss of hair. Which brings me to something that I didn't expect. I'm loosing a lot of hair during my showers. Not a huge clump by any means and my hair doesn't look like it's thinning but it's enough to freak me out ;( My mood is much better. This past week I haven't been nearly as snide and rude as I was :)) I'm thinking of investing in one of those light therapy things for the acne in case it does come back at full force.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P216638&categoryId=S15135&shouldPaginate=true

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Well, my face is looking a little better now (in month 3), but my chest has started to break out in the most awful way. I've been wearing high-necked blouses and shirts for the last couple weeks, and nothing I"m doing seems to be helping.

Any suggestions for dealing with chest acne? I am using a salicylic acid wash and some glycolic acid gel on it at the moment. The prescription stuff I have for my face is only seeming to burn and further irritate the skin on my chest, so I haven't been using much of that.

Izzy03

Brilliant_Rock
Kittybean~ Give lemon juice a shot. After washing with your usual cleanser, place lemon juice on a cotton swab and brush over the affected areas. I have never tried it, but I have heard it works really well. Plus it's convenient and cheap, so the worst that can happen is it doesn't work.

I feel your pain! My face is starting to look a little better (2 years later) but now I'm dealing with some small breakouts on my back. It is so gross! I live in Florida and wear tank tops all the time, but now I have to make sure my hair is down to cover my zits. Such a bummer. I'm definitely trying the lemon juice soon!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I ran out of proactiv a few weeks ago and thought I'd see if I could survive without it. I could for about two weeks...going to the mall this weekend to get more.

Katharine700

Rough_Rock
I hope my experience helps some of you. I was on the pill for 12 years, originally on Dianette to help with acne (always had it badly and was on various antibiotics etc before Dianette), then onto Yasmin. Anyway a few years ago I came off it but within a few weeks my acne flared up and never seen my skin so bad, so I went straight back on the pill and vowed I would never come off it again!!!

However last year I split up with my boyfriend and decided that I wanted to come off the pill and allow my hormones to get back to normal (but avoiding the awful acne outbreak that I'd had before, especially reading so many other horror stories on the internet!). I went to see a Naturopath as I thought I want to treat this hormonal acne at the basic level, not just find treatments for when it erupts. I explained the situation to her and said I would like to prepare my body for coming off the pill and avoid the awful acne outbreak I'd had before. She gave me some agnus cactus to take every day (this regulates hormones) and said changes in diet are really important as you ingest so many extra hormones without realising, which contributes to the acne. One of the triggers to acne is dairy products as cow's milk contains lots of hormones from pregnant cows, so I more or less cut that out (although do have the odd sneaky pizza at weekends!), I cut out caffeine, all non-organic meat products (as again they have extra unwanted hormones in) and generally try to avoid process foods. I also started taking a high-dose Vitamin B supplement, zinc, and starflower oil every day.

I did this for about 5 months before coming off the pill, and have now been off it for nearly 6 months with no acne outbreak which has really amazed me.
I would really recommend if you have time to prepare your body and are willing to make a few changes in your diet this really works (believe me the dairy thing was HARD as I used to have milk, yoghurt and cheese every day - but having clear skin was a real goal to aim towards). And I discovered there are lots of alternatives like rice and oat milk which are even nicer! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results