shape
carat
color
clarity

GOG vs BGD on DIAMOND OVERALL QUALITY?

scottylmt

Rough_Rock
Ok, so it looks like I am probably having a ring designed by BGD. Even if that doesn't work out for some reason, I WILL need a center stone. Obviously, BGD wants me to get the stone through them...

After much research on the net, it seems like GOG is the place to get center stones; at least that's what I was planning on in my head.

My questions is obvious.. Does anybody have experience with BOTH vendors relating to loose stone purchase?

Should I keep it easy and get everything in ONE location? (BGD)

Should I just go with whichever I think I will get the best stone for the money?

I have heard GOG cust service is above excellent, how is BGD when it comes to STONE PURCHASE?

Thank you all so much!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both will carry outstanding stones (assuming you are talking about rounds). The key is to find what you want at the best price. BG may or may not have what you want and same with GOG. Decide what your stone parameters are and then see who has the closest to it at the best price. BG's diamond prices have been running on the high side for several months, I have noticed.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
if you are getting a ring designed by BGD I would absolutely get a center stone from them. Are you looking at a round stone?

scottylmt

Rough_Rock
Yes a round stone. I am currently deciding between a .6-.75, G-H, VS2-SI-1 at the moment. The most important to me is the cut and what will perform the best in a halo setting.

So far, I have been impressed by both sites... with GOG showing the microscope pics I rate them ahead a little. I've also heard GOG will send you a video of several diamonds to meet your specs, and am wondering if BGD will do the same. I"m going to ask Jamie who has been prompt and great so far to work with.

It is absolutely unbelievable that I can get a custom piece for around 3K! I still can't believe it and am so excited I can't even explain.

But back to cut quality... is there a difference between BGD signature and GOG H and A? I would like to just get the stone and the ring together, but its gonna come down to cost, quality, and customer service, not necessarily in that order lol.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, if you are getting the setting from BGD buy the diamond from them. They specialize in round H&A stones, and their signature cuts are all spectacularly cut. You do not really need video and extra information about the diamonds when you are choosing a boutique brand like BGD. GOG carries great cuts too, but it is much easier to get the setting and stone from one place. I have also found BGD's prices on RBs to be a little lower. Win win.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Did you try GOG for a custom quote to compare? Just asking since you did ask about their stones, so it makes sense.

sstephensid

Shiny_Rock
I agree maybe buy from BGD. I want a Brian Gavin Blue!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
BGD's signature cuts are awesome and they provide ASET/IS images. No, there is no video, but you really do not need video for H&A rounds. I would absolutely go with them to avoid mounting/shipping fees and to make everything easier.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Havent' had a comparison experience w GOG, but I did purchase (only once) with BGD and love my diamonds. IMO, it is easier to keep all under the same roof - purchase from BGD for ease. Yes, a BLUE would be gorgeous! Are you dealing with Denise, Lesley or Brian? You will not be disappointed!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
For what you are looking for I think BGD would be a better choice. GOG is good for fancy cuts, which BGD doesn't seem to carry in house. The GOG videos are really valuable when you are comparing several stones. But BGD usually has an excellent selection in the size you are looking for and videos wouldn't be necessary, the images are enough.

If you are getting a setting from a vendor it makes sense to get the stone there, too, as long as they have what you want. You avoid insurance issues.

scottylmt

Rough_Rock
Very good info ladies. I appreciate it.

No I haven't gotten a quote from GOG. I did however get one from Leon Megé and it was considerably higher...

Bgd-$3290
Megé -$5500!

For the same job. Im sure there are differences in the work, but please don't tell me lol. All I know is BGD comes highly recommended from reviews off several sites, and also the forums here and wedding bee.

Im just scared im gonna design and wait for this awesome ring, then get it and see a big old whisp or even worse a black spot she'll have to look at every day when she thinks of me lmao

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pretty confident you won't be viewing a wisp or carbon spot, if you purchase from either GOG or BGD! You have learned enough on the boards to know what to look for - plus post the narrowed down selections here and the experts will advise you further. VS2/SI1 will be safe if you specify eye clean at "X" inches from top down view. Most seem to want eye clean at approx 9" - 12".

You can't go wrong from here on in!!!

scottylmt

Rough_Rock
Btw im working with jamie. Her name I recognized from a review dated july 11, 2011; so she's been there at least that long. She's been great and very reassuring but that's her job lol.

She also is really eager for me to meet and speak with BG on the phone so he can work with me himself.

This seems almost too good to be true, like at kay jewelers they have that tolkowsky guy, you would never expect to speak with him personally. But yesterday I spoke with Leon Megé and soon with Brian Gavin. Are there just TONS of jewelers around the country that jabs their own signature cut, or are these guys really the best? How the heck would they have the time to talk to somebody about a <$10k job!???

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
...and that's what makes them right up there in the 'best' category!!! It's all about customer service!

That's wonderful you get to speak directly to the 'big guns' - they can answer questions and assure you of what the plans are. I'm very excited for you- enjoy this experience, your FFI will be thrilled to learn about the process after the engagement!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BGD signature H & A diamonds are top notch--I've bought several diamonds from them myself. They have a great upgrade policy and a great selection of settings (there is no setting fee if you buy both from them). They also have a PS discount so make sure you ask for it.

scottylmt

Rough_Rock
Enerchi, I AM starting to enjoy this... finally lol. I pride myself with being an excellent internet researcher. I love getting the top value out of things, so im used to joining forums, watching youtube reviews and searching google for info. THIS has been a whole new level of stress; right up there with designing and doing the drafting for my massage clinic actually!

But now that I've learned her tastes, found a competent craftsman, and a wonderful group of women to help guide me... im starting to have a little more fun. Im off three hours of sleep, but energized like crazy!

Mom2sons, thank you for that. I wonder when is a good time to mention the discount?

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask for the discount now and they'll take it off of your invoice.

Brian is also known as "Brian the Cutter" so he is the guy to speak to about ideal cut RB's.

FYI, if you ever have any problems at BGD, ask to deal w/ Lesley (co-founder and Brian's wife) directly to expedite things.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
scottylmt|1332959752|3158330 said:
But back to cut quality... is there a difference between BGD signature and GOG H and A? I would like to just get the stone and the ring together, but its gonna come down to cost, quality, and customer service, not necessarily in that order lol.
i've purchased top ideal H&A cuts from both vendors ... :love: it all comes down to which vendor have your 4Cs inhouse.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
scottylmt|1332969274|3158483 said:
Enerchi, I AM starting to enjoy this... finally lol. I pride myself with being an excellent internet researcher. I love getting the top value out of things, so im used to joining forums, watching youtube reviews and searching google for info. THIS has been a whole new level of stress; right up there with designing and doing the drafting for my massage clinic actually!

But now that I've learned her tastes, found a competent craftsman, and a wonderful group of women to help guide me... im starting to have a little more fun. Im off three hours of sleep, but energized like crazy!

Mom2sons, thank you for that. I wonder when is a good time to mention the discount?

My daughter is taking massage therapy - she's in her first of 3 years and very stressed about midterms coming up next week. Hopefully, it gets better??? She will survive anatomy and physiology??? :-o

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
LM and BGD and GOG are very small operations (relatively speaking), boutique/family jewelers if you will. That is how you talk directly to the owners.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BG's diamonds are running higher than WhiteFlash right now, and I would work on a discount on the stone to match WF ACA prices. I just don't want to see you overpay, because WF could make your custom setting, too. Someone on another thread was just looking at .80 stones from BG and I found 3 stones at WF that beat them on price. I like BG, WF, and GOG and have bought from all three of them. But I see BG and WF offering basically the same thing and their prices ought to match. You get a little more in terms of info on the stones at GOG, and for that you sometimes (not always) pay a little more, plus they are a regular brick and mortar store.

scottylmt

Rough_Rock
On many occasions, I have come across people in the industry saying that GIA is the cert to go by, that even AGS is a point or so looser regarding clarity and color.

On diamond talk, a poster who seemed very informed, raised the issue that "why do you think all of these brand-name cuts are ALWAYS AGS, when most of the other stones on their site are GIA?" That really raises a good point. Is there really a distinct difference when purchasing a BGD, GOG H and A, Hearts on Fire, A Cut Above and the others? Why are they certifying them all through AGS and not GIA, even though it seems pretty clear (even to ME, a non-expert) that GIA is the stricter grading lab?

Diamondseeker, I really appreciate that last post. Now I wonder if I need to get a quote from Whiteflash as well...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
scottylmt|1332981005|3158694 said:
On many occasions, I have come across people in the industry saying that GIA is the cert to go by, that even AGS is a point or so looser regarding clarity and color.

On diamond talk, a poster who seemed very informed, raised the issue that "why do you think all of these brand-name cuts are ALWAYS AGS, when most of the other stones on their site are GIA?" That really raises a good point. Is there really a distinct difference when purchasing a BGD, GOG H and A, Hearts on Fire, A Cut Above and the others? Why are they certifying them all through AGS and not GIA, even though it seems pretty clear (even to ME, a non-expert) that GIA is the stricter grading lab?

Diamondseeker, I really appreciate that last post. Now I wonder if I need to get a quote from Whiteflash as well...
IMO... they are both equal as long as they are well cut stones.however,i'd think that an AGS stone will cost a little bit more compared to a GIA stone with the same 4Cs.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
The branded cuts tend to stick with AGS as it offers a somewhat more informative and restrictive cut grade. In terms of color and clarity grading, the cutters who frequent PS suggest that GIA is marginally stricter with color and AGS is marginally stricter with clarity.

scottylmt

Rough_Rock
Very interesting info.

So, bottom line: .63, G, VS1...

SIGNATURE CUT: $3400
GIA 3 EXCELLENT CUT: $2400

Will the signature out-perform the GIA enough to justify the price increase, on a diamond that size???

slg47

Ideal_Rock
scottylmt|1332984888|3158747 said:
Very interesting info.

Will the signature out-perform the GIA enough to justify the price increase, on a diamond that size???

what are the specs on the GIA 3Ex?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
scottylmt|1332984888|3158747 said:
Very interesting info.

please post more informaton on these 2 stones.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
scotty...we would need to see all the info from both grading reports. One might be superideal hearts and arrows and we don't know what the other one is like.

I am comfortable with both GIA and AGS and have both at this time. If you stick around here long enough you can sort through the GIA excellent stones and get one that is equivalent to an AGS ideal or even H&A. I have done that and saved some money. Sometimes it makes more sense to go with the best because there isn't a close runner up. But we can help you find a great stone!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more thing, Scotty. Can you show us what this setting looks like? Because $3200 is a LOT to spend on a setting when you are going to spend around $3000 on the diamond. Maybe we can give you some alternatives which would leave you more for your center stone?

scottylmt

Rough_Rock
It was more of a general question, but now I see that depth and percentages matter. So here is a real life example...

SIGNATURE: .628, G, VS1
5.49 x 5.52 x 3.39
Table %: 56.0
Depth %: 62.0
Crown %: 15.0
Crown Angle: 34.9
Star %: 51.0
Pav Angle: 40.8
Pavillion %: 43.0
Lower Girdle %: 78.0
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible

Price: $3,440
------------------------------------------------
GIA: .63, G, VS1
5.46 x 5.49 x 3.40
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Sorry I can't quite make out the %'s on my phone, but here is URL
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2762817.htm

Price: $2,744 (I was off in my estimation.. the 2400 was a VS2 with Very Good Polish)

So, the difference is $700. Would the signature out-perform the GIA in this case?

Thanks to any who offer their opinion!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results