shape
carat
color
clarity

GOG Prices vs. Alternatives

edwinbill64

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Started my research a couple of weeks ago and came across this forum which has been very, very helpful. I have read many positive reviews about Jonathan at Good Old Gold on Long Island. I live in Eastern Pennsylvania and could drive out to NY. From what I have read many people suggest purchasing your stone online as the prices are much better than visiting a local jeweler. I dont love the idea of purchasing blindly from a BN or the like but I also dont want to feel like I overpaid. I guess my question would be how much more would I expect to pay for a 2ct from GOG as opposed to purchasing the stone on my own? I would be willing to pay a little bit more to have Jonathan or his staff's trained eye pick me a great stone but I dont want to pay a ton more. Can anyone shed some light on this topic, I searched the forum and read nothing but good reviews but nothing about exactly the price differences. Any response is appreciated, thanks in advance!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pricepoint varies based on specs. You can easily log on to GOG's site and poke around as well as a few others to compare. I am a repeat buyer from GOG and I didn't find them significantly higher than anyone else, really, what I felt I paid "more" for was the amount of testing done on the stones and the time invested in testing them, to show me the differences. No one else does quite as much testing as they do, photos and whatnot are great, but they have quite a lot of instrumentation as well.

I am in the midwest so for me to go there required flights and hotels and train tickets. We did eventually make a trip out and viewed more in person and it was worth the trip as well, because I'd seen everything online, all the tests, videos and images for the stones, and then got to compare them for myself in person after wearing one for a while that I purchased. Just to make sure I was happy, knowing what else was out there. I almost changed shape/cut styles altogether but realized I was in love with the cut I picked afterall. If (ok probably more like WHEN) I upgrade down the line, Ill go through them again without even a second thought.

CopperTop

Rough_Rock
It really depends on the shape clarity and stock. Another big factor is how much information a vendor is able to provide to you about your stone. Many people choose Good Old Gold because they provide so much education and evaluations of the stone. James Allen is also known for providing excellent information on their stones. This is important if you are picking a fancy shape I.e. not a round. Rounds can be evaluated on by their angle numbers so they require fewer reports. If you want a round you will have more options as far as vendors with good info and return policies.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to say that no vendor provides more information than GOG does on their stones, and they have a wide variety of types of stones as well. Jonathan will also call in a stone for you if he doesn't have exactly what you want in stock and run his tests and it will just cost a couple hundred or so more than if you ordered from one of the drop shippers. I won't order a diamond blind because I want to be certain it is a great performing stone. But things like true hearts and arrows stones cost more because he has to pay more for them than a non-H&A GIA excellent cut, for example. I will tell you that I absolutely have the utmost respect for Jonathan and totally trust his advice in selecting a stone. I have bought two rounds and an asscher from him, and will continue to do so. He also has a great trade-in policy which is good for some people like me who occasionally changes her mind on what I want!

Since you live in that area, I can't think of a better place to visit! But you need to make an appointment and tell them what you want to see. If you are ready to buy, they may call in a stone or two for you to see. So get that part clarified with them in advance.

All of my purchases have been via distance. I have never been to the store. They provide great videos to help you compare stones if you are interested in more than one.

edwinbill64

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the responses, I guess Jonathan's trained eye is what I am paying a little extra for and I am willing to do that. From what I have read he picks stones that perform way better than a Kay or Zales Jewelers would. I am looking for a quality stone that performs well to the eye and I guess Jonathan is the one who is able to find that for me. Is it fair to say for example I'd pay $16k for a stone i could get for $15k on James Allen or BN?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
edwinbill64|1361037489|3381734 said:
Thanks so much for the responses, I guess Jonathan's trained eye is what I am paying a little extra for and I am willing to do that. From what I have read he picks stones that perform way better than a Kay or Zales Jewelers would. I am looking for a quality stone that performs well to the eye and I guess Jonathan is the one who is able to find that for me. Is it fair to say for example I'd pay $16k for a stone i could get for $15k on James Allen or BN?

I'd say that is a fair guess. Plus, like I said, he offers lifetime trade-in with no minimum required and a 75% buy back on his best stones which is better than either of the others you mentioned. Overall, I feel that the extra services are worth it to me. We are still looking at prices way less for similar quality at other jewelry stores. Not that I was ever able to access stones of the quality he carries locally, though!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blue Nile doesn't usually have the stones in house, so you're paying Jon to have that in house and check it out for you, vs Blue Nile to just facilitate shipping from another location.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
edwinbill64|1361028452|3381674 said:
Hello,

Started my research a couple of weeks ago and came across this forum which has been very, very helpful. I have read many positive reviews about Jonathan at Good Old Gold on Long Island. I live in Eastern Pennsylvania and could drive out to NY. From what I have read many people suggest purchasing your stone online as the prices are much better than visiting a local jeweler. I dont love the idea of purchasing blindly from a BN or the like but I also dont want to feel like I overpaid. I guess my question would be how much more would I expect to pay for a 2ct from GOG as opposed to purchasing the stone on my own? I would be willing to pay a little bit more to have Jonathan or his staff's trained eye pick me a great stone but I dont want to pay a ton more. Can anyone shed some light on this topic, I searched the forum and read nothing but good reviews but nothing about exactly the price differences. Any response is appreciated, thanks in advance!
well worth the drive...wish i was that close to GOG... :wink2:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
On top of the above, GOG used to (and may still do) have a virtual stone match policy so if you are set on buying a stone online - they will call in the stone and price match it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1361199861|3383081 said:
On top of the above, GOG used to (and may still do) have a virtual stone match policy so if you are set on buying a stone online - they will call in the stone and price match it.

That is correct. He wrote that on another thread the other day. And if you want them to run all the tests, it just costs a couple hundred or so more.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results