shape
carat
color
clarity

Glowing Spinel, Thoughts?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a longtime member, but have only lurked on CS for a while now. A search for a tourmaline as a present from DH this xmas led me to this spinel in a store near me. I saw it in person, and it lived up to the online photos. Even though it is small, it packed a punch because it really does glow neon red! However, it had a pretty big window and I found it bothered me.

The setting is so weird. I wonder, did they set it like that for color-enhancement purposes? Would a different setting help with the window? (They were willing to change the setting for me, but ultimately I decided to stay on the tourmaline path for now.) It's too small for a recut, right?

I"m curious what all of you think of this stone? Let me hear your thoughts! :) I keep thinking about it, and I wonder if I should put it on my short list.

Online photos from store (washed out hand suggests retouching, but my own iPhone photos to follow...)

il_246.jpg

il_247.jpg

il_248.jpg

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And now my photos, taken in the store with an iPhone....

img_10206.jpg

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Handshot...

img_10207.jpg

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is beautiful and I love the setting as well.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's lovely!!!
I like the setting as well

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, lambskin and Acinom that's funny - I had such a strong negative reaction to the setting but that goes to show you, people vary! :D

If I were to buy it, I would have to switch it out for a new setting. That one has the spinel set so high, I would hit it on everything.

So.... you can sort of make out the window in one of the pics, would that bother any of you or does the color make up for it?

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely color. Like Rainydaze I wonder if setting is trying tho compensate for window or its simply a moee modern take on a ring that would pair with a wedding band? Looks as if it would appear centered over an additional band. :idea:

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love this ring - the spinel and the setting. It's funny but the setting reminds of vintage engagement rings from the late 60's/early 70's. I think Orange Blossom made a ring very similar.

The colour is gorgeous, at least on my monitor. I personally hate windows but it depends on the individual gem whether I can overlook a window. I almost passed on a cuprian tourmaline because of a window. I just couldn't get this particular stone out of my head so the jeweller brought it back in for me and we sent it off for a re-cut. It still has a window but it's not as bad. It lost very little weight but is also a larger stone. Maybe this spinel could be tweaked every so slightly just to make it less apparent.

I'm no help - probably more of an enabler :naughty: . My only advice - if the spinel speaks to you and you would be devastated if someone else bought it, you have your answer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results