shape
carat
color
clarity

Given up

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

acbutk

Rough_Rock
I''ve given up on buying a diamond online. There are just too many variables, stipulations, and risks. I will go to my local store and buy a diamond that I can see.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
good luck, i hope you find a diamond that you love!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 9:29:58 AM
Author: belle
good luck, i hope you find a diamond that you love!
Ditto!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry you feel that way. It can be very overwhelming. I find the technical stuff very confusing. It sort of takes away from the joy of buying your diamond. BUT I also know that once its here and on my finger I will be really pleased that I made an informed choice.

I hope that if you don''t find what you want in a store that you will come back here and let the very experienced PS members help you to buy your perfect diamond. I know they love to help people!
1.gif

Good luck.

Maisie

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are suffering from information overload.

People vary.
Some people have the stomach for learning all this stuff and some just find it to be too much hassle.
I completely understand.

Personally I hate to say this because things I write here get me in trouble so often.
But here I go.

I'd just call up Whiteflash tell them to pick out an ACA in your budget with mid clarity and mid color.
Tell them you don't really want to learn a whole lot.
Just be frank.
I really believe you can trust them to not take advantage of you.

If the one they pick is too small start tell them to go down clarity or color but keep it eye clean.
Make them do the work.
That's it.
Done.

I have used their refund policy too; it works.
One phone call, no risk.

You will end up with something that has a 99% chance of being much better for much less money than you are about to spend at a B&M.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny, they''re looking for a good I1, that''s making it tough.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2007 9:24:36 AM
Author:acbutk
I've given up on buying a diamond online. There are just too many variables, stipulations, and risks. I will go to my local store and buy a diamond that I can see.

Ellen pointed out you are looking for I1 clarity.
I think availability of that clarity from a PS vendor is more of the problem than the things you mentioned.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Wink sometimes has some good looking I1's on his website. I haven't checked there much recently, but someone posted some I1's from his site a while ago that looked like nice diamonds. Ac, check www.winkjones.com.

ETA: Here is the link to his lower priced diamonds which include some I1's.

http://www.winkjones.com/specials/sa_diamonds.php

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 10:05:57 AM
Author: coda72
Wink sometimes has some good looking I1''s on his website. I haven''t checked there much recently, but someone posted some I1''s from his site a while ago that looked like nice diamonds. Ac, check www.winkjones.com.
oh yes, if you are looking for an I1, go to wink! for sure.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 10:05:57 AM
Wink sometimes has some good looking I1's on his website. I haven't checked there much recently, but someone posted some I1's from his site a while ago that looked like nice diamonds. Ac, check www.winkjones.com.

ETA: Here is the link to his lower priced diamonds which include some I1's.

http://www.winkjones.com/specials/sa_diamonds.php
don't quote me but I'd swear wink just had an included ininity that was like 1.5 carat if I'm recalling correctly for like 5k??

ETA: I just went to the link and it has already sold - I am not surprised, that's an amazing deal. But where there is one deal there is another!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, they were originally looking for a I1, but a later post shows a question about an SI2, they may have upped the clarity.

acbutk, as other have brought to attention, try Wink Jones, he's a great guy and won't steer you wrong. If he doesn't have anything larger, take a look at this. It's going to give you the "look" of a 1 ct., and you can always upgade later. This is a gorgeous stone!!
30.gif

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-136245.htm#

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice find Ellen.
I agree that is a great stone for your requirements.
It has a lot going for it.

0.9 carat is hard to find since it looks like a 1 carat but has a lower price.
It has a good HCA score, 2.4
It falls on the edge of the AGS0 box of the HCA graphic chart, but on the side of the outline that is towards the center of the GIA Excellent box.

The 40x photo looks amazingly clean, much cleaner than many other SI2s on the same site.

The IS and ASET look great and all it's specs are from AGS, a highly respected lab.
It's offered as an in-house stone by a fine vendor with great service and policies.
Plus if you ask for the Pricescope discount it is only $3371 if you wire the funds.

I'd call to verify it's eye clean and the medium blue fluorescence isn't an issue.

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
www.jamesallen.com has some very nice looking I1s. I came across them last night as I was browsing.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a thread from a few days ago where kcoursolle posted links for four promising I1s. link

acbutk

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I''m not looking for an I1 anymore. I want something eyeclean. About the SI2 on WF- it looks like a great stone to me, but then I started hearing all of this stuff about feathers on the girdle. That stone seems to qualify as one that has feathers in bad places. I guess the universal truth is that you get what you pay for. Thanks to all. Let me know what you think about the SI2 as far as the feathers are concerned.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 10:59:45 AM
Author: acbutk
Yeah, I''m not looking for an I1 anymore. I want something eyeclean. About the SI2 on WF- it looks like a great stone to me, but then I started hearing all of this stuff about feathers on the girdle. That stone seems to qualify as one that has feathers in bad places. I guess the universal truth is that you get what you pay for. Thanks to all. Let me know what you think about the SI2 as far as the feathers are concerned.
Tell you what, WF is the one to ask, you just can''t totally go by pics. Call them up, and ask them to have Brian look at it and let you know how it rates. He will be absolutely honest with you on how it looks.
2.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2007 10:59:45 AM
Yeah, I'm not looking for an I1 anymore. I want something eyeclean. About the SI2 on WF- it looks like a great stone to me, but then I started hearing all of this stuff about feathers on the girdle. That stone seems to qualify as one that has feathers in bad places. I guess the universal truth is that you get what you pay for. Thanks to all. Let me know what you think about the SI2 as far as the feathers are concerned.

I don't really like feathers at the girdle either, but then I don't have my heart set on a great 1 carat stone for $3500.
Something's got to give.

gail013

Shiny_Rock
I found that thanks to all the knowledge you learn on this site, it can be more fun and easier to buy something from a local store, provided their prices are competitive with the internet. In my case, I searched for a month to find the stone I wanted online, and it was fairly consuming. In the end, I purchased a stone locally, from a jeweler who was very competitive price wise, and it was so much easier. I told them exactly what I wanted and they brought in a few stones for me to look at-no charges for flying them in, and they found a better stone than what I could have found (I believe anyway). I know many of the people on this board enjoy looking for their stones, but I found it discouraging and alot of work. I do believe though the vendors are top notch and honest, you just have to find what works for you. It''s interesting if you talk to jewelers out there today, they admit the internet has brought down the markup significantly on diamonds. Many of them also swear that the B and M jewelers that can afford to, buy up the best quality, and the rest goes to internet vendors. Not sure that I agree with that.......

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t like to repeat myself, but I would really check out Wink Jones. I don''t think you can get an 1 carat SI2 of any color for $3500, but I would definitely consider one of his I1''s. He has one listed on his specials page that looks very promising. It''s the H I-1 that is an AGS0. It doesn''t mention anything about feathers on the girdle, and it looks to be a beautiful stone. It''s also very near your budget of $3500 (at $3667).

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 11:33:28 AM
Author: gail013
Many of them also swear that the B and M jewelers that can afford to, buy up the best quality, and the rest goes to internet vendors. Not sure that I agree with that.......
No way.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2007 11:37:49 AM
I don't like to repeat myself, but I would really check out Wink Jones. I don't think you can get an 1 carat SI2 of any color for $3500, but I would definitely consider one of his I1's. He has one listed on his specials page that looks very promising. It's the H I-1 that is an AGS0. It doesn't mention anything about feathers on the girdle, and it looks to be a beautiful stone. It's also very near your budget of $3500 (at $3667).
HI:

That stone was purchased by me and set into one of my earring/pair. And yes, it is a beautiful stone. When I last spoke to Wink, the F I1, was still available. But that was a week ago. Good luck on your search.

cheers--Sharon

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Buying from a local jeweler has a lot to be said for it. The process is actually remarkably similar to buying online.

1) Choose a dealer that you are inclined to trust. Test 'em to be sure.
2) Tell them your parameters and ask for what they have to offer that may be suitable.
3) Look at it. Show it to your friends, appraiser or astrologer or whoever elses' opinion you value and decide that this is the right stone for you.
4) Check out the ‘value added’ features from the dealer and see if they are of interest to you. This includes trade ins, warranties, access to their designers, speed of service, helpful sales people or whatever else may make the deal special.
5) Use the information you’ve learned here to decide if the price is acceptable for what you’re getting.
6) Buy it or move on depending on the results from teh above above.

Locally this process can go quite a bit faster and, in particular, the process of a personal inspection is logistically a lot easier. There’s a good reason that 95% of diamond shoppers end up buying at local stores. The internet shopping experience isn't for everybody.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA (AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just one quick thing...now that we have the interactive function on PS where you can actually have a virtual meeting with a vendor (including seeing the stones on your screen)...why not try that? Just a thought.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 3:13:48 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Just one quick thing...now that we have the interactive function on PS where you can actually have a virtual meeting with a vendor (including seeing the stones on your screen)...why not try that? Just a thought.
That''s a great idea!!
1.gif

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Pricescope offers a wealth of information and certainly can be overwhelming but just remember this isn''t neuro surgery. Most of the comments and concepts mentioned on the forums about ideal proportions and colors and sizes, etc etc etc are just there to introduce you to the concepts and the issues to be more informed. If you "make a mistake" so to speak and buy a diamond that is too deep or too big of a table or too yellow or whatever it''s most likely that your fiance will be thrilled and think it''s beautiful as well if you thought so upon seeing it. It''s not supposed to be an unenjoyable experience :)

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock

Many of them also swear that the B and M jewelers that can afford to, buy up the best quality, and the rest goes to internet vendors. Not sure that I agree with that.......
It may have once-been-sort-of-true, but nowadays the manufacturers are so squeezed and their margins are so tight, that they will pretty much sell to anyone in the trade who has the cash. There has been a movement in the B&M world to boycott manufacturers who allow their lists to be placed online, but it hasn''t gone anywhere as far as I know. The market pressures just won''t allow it.

There are internet vendors who act as bottom feeders for the worst stones--but there are also storefront vendors, including some very, very large ones, who do essentially the same thing (hint: what''s a seven letter word that starts with ''W'' and ends with ''t''?
12.gif
).

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 8:02:04 PM
Author: CaptAubrey

It may have once-been-sort-of-true, but nowadays the manufacturers are so squeezed and their margins are so tight, that they will pretty much sell to anyone in the trade who has the cash. There has been a movement in the B&M world to boycott manufacturers who allow their lists to be placed online, but it hasn''t gone anywhere as far as I know. The market pressures just won''t allow it.

There are internet vendors who act as bottom feeders for the worst stones--but there are also storefront vendors, including some very, very large ones, who do essentially the same thing (hint: what''s a seven letter word that starts with ''W'' and ends with ''t''?
12.gif
).
My impression locally where I am is that a few jewelers have advertised they carry AGS diamonds. They never seem to have any in stock. I asked about that and they indicated that most people won''t pay a premium for ideal cut, and they don''t press it. Around here the average at a good mom and pop B&M is in the G/H range with VS2 - SI2 clarity, and a 60/60 diamond is considered a really nice cut. No attention is paid to angles. And often the prices are pretty steep compared to what''s on line. Some of the best already set diamonds I''ve seen were at Sam''s Club, believe it or not. The above mentioned chain related to Sam''s carries absolute junk here.

I can only speak for my own town. We don''t have any big diamond markets and people here tend to be conservative with their jewelry, and one of the prominent jewelers in town doesn''t even worry about certificates or reports. Other towns and cities may differ in that, so success buying from a B&M is going to be relative to that.

Whatever you decide, good luck and please let us know how it''s going! There''s not just one right way to buy a diamond, that is for sure.

acbutk

Rough_Rock
I''m not done yet. I''ve given online shopping one last shot. I''m closer than I''ve ever been to finding the right diamond. Check it out and let me hear it. $3400

6.27x6.32x3.91
RB
.95ct.
SI2
Cut Grade: Excellent
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Color Grade: G
Faint Fluorescence
Table: 54%
Depth: 62.1%
medium to slightly thick girdle
crown angle: 34.5
Pavilion angle: 40.6

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 11:02:56 AM
I''m not done yet. I''ve given online shopping one last shot. I''m closer than I''ve ever been to finding the right diamond. Check it out and let me hear it. $3400

6.27x6.32x3.91
RB
.95ct.
SI2
Cut Grade: Excellent
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Color Grade: G
Faint Fluorescence
Table: 54%
Depth: 62.1%
medium to slightly thick girdle
crown angle: 34.5
Pavilion angle: 40.6
Good numbers, especially given the difficulty of finding a .90 - .99 ct. stone. Scores a 0.9 HCA. Looks like a winner...
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you get an IS image for it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results