shape
carat
color
clarity

girls,your opinions on .50ct per yr of dating ?

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Aww, DF, do you think she was honestly saying that? I think she was probably being a little tongue-in-cheek. It is not easy being a LIW!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I liked the other rule (I think DF posted this?) about 1 pt per lb...so a 100 lb woman gets a 1 ct...although I would get a bigger diamond with the 0.5 per year of dating rule...

but, in all seriousness, both of these 'rules' are RIDICULOUS...you should get what you can afford and what you are comfortable with.

Mashira

Brilliant_Rock
:lol: With the point per pound system I think the 'Bridal Bootcamp' thread would turn into a 'healthy ways of gaining muscle mass' thread :-o We would have some serious body building going on around here :cheeky:

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
haha. If that rule were in place, there would be very few of us on the LIW board. All the BF's would either propose right away or move us to the curb.

Let's see - so by her standards, if he figures out within three months that "I'm the one" and takes a month to buy a ring, then he owes me a 16 point diamond. Does this rule also allow you to refuse the proposal until a sufficient carat size has been reached?

crossmyfingers

Shiny_Rock
Gosh. At that rate, I'd be getting more than twice the carat size that we've planned on. We don't need to spend that much right now.

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
slg47 said:
I liked the other rule (I think DF posted this?) about 1 pt per lb...so a 100 lb woman gets a 1 ct...although I would get a bigger diamond with the 0.5 per year of dating rule...

but, in all seriousness, both of these 'rules' are RIDICULOUS...you should get what you can afford and what you are comfortable with.

I don't like this rule. lol

diamondbuggy

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that means mine should be over 4 carats! I need to show my boyfriend this! :lol:

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
I can only assume you're joking DF!

Don't tell my fiancé that anyway, as I have a 1 ct centre stone, and by your rules should only have 0.5 ct!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I like it!

I didn't like the two months salary rule one bit. This summer, my SO is working the box office for shows at a non-profit theatre, and gets paid in beer. So, his months two months salary=20 beers? Does GOG take trades?

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, and clearly if he does not get you the 0.50 ct per year, he just does not love you.

I think this "rule" is just as inane and stupid as the "3 months salary" rule. Way to put more pressure on and again, make it all about the "goods".

0.5ct is still above average in many areas of North America, and I highly doubt this was as they all got engaged at the year mark.

If a couple wants to get an engagement ring, they should go with what they can afford and what fits for them personally. I know people who could afford a huge rock but prefer a smaller one for example, or who choose other than diamonds, and so on.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, all the "rules" out there are just ridiculous. I'm sure that there are plenty of people who may really take that seriously, but I would marry my boyfriend with no rings at all. It's not actually about the rings, it's about what we share. The ring is just an added bonus, for a sparkle junky like myself :) It's all about finding a happy medium between what you can afford, and what you like. Plus, you can always upgrade later on, if you so choose.

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
I think that has got to be the most stupid (besides the 3 months wages thing) "rule" Ive ever heard. Most peole cannot afford to buy an ering outright , way to go start a marriage on the right track with a huge mound of debt, right? If you can afford (and want) a huge rock, great.I think most of the ladies here as well as the already married ladies would/wouldve marry (ied) there SO with a twist tie on their finger.

Im not talking sh*t on people with big stones, at all! I just believe that you should get engaged with what your SO can afford, not make yourselves be in debt over a luxury item. The fact of the matter is that one of the big arguments couples have in marriage is money. Why would you want to start off IN DEBT for a luxury item? If your going to be in debt over something, it should be a HOUSE which uh, you can live in, unlike a diamond. Again, not trash talking, I just think its crazy some of the "rules" put out (dbeers, yes?), and its sad to think that some girls buy into this crap.

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
quote="vtigger86"]i heard a gal in a jewlery store saying to her friend...

i'm expecting a 2ct ring from him cuz we have been dating for 4 yrs now, .50 ct per yr sounds fair to me.[/quote]

Ah, beware of age and treachery, Ladies. > ;-) I think this "new math" is a bad thing, hehe. On the plus side, it might cut down on all of this procrastinating to pop the question. The guy has potentially huge financial liabilities looming if he just strings you along forever, so he figures out it's in his best interest to pop the question early, while he's only obligated for .5ct. Now the loophole is he will do this, and become engaged, and then he will still stall and stall and put the marriage on hold and find reasons to procrastinate. Then, if the engagement is broken, she gives the ring back, he has that .5ct, and goes off and starts over with a recycled .5ct and FI #2 or #4 or whatever. It's a slippery slope. :bigsmile:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sctsbride09 said:
I think that has got to be the most stupid (besides the 3 months wages thing) "rule" Ive ever heard. Most peole cannot afford to buy an engagement ring outright , way to go start a marriage on the right track with a huge mound of debt, right? If you can afford (and want) a huge rock, great.I think most of the ladies here as well as the already married ladies would/wouldve marry (ied) there SO with a twist tie on their finger.

Im not talking sh*t on people with big stones, at all! I just believe that you should get engaged with what your SO can afford, not make yourselves be in debt over a luxury item. The fact of the matter is that one of the big arguments couples have in marriage is money. Why would you want to start off IN DEBT for a luxury item? If your going to be in debt over something, it should be a HOUSE which uh, you can live in, unlike a diamond. Again, not trash talking, I just think its crazy some of the "rules" put out (dbeers, yes?), and its sad to think that some girls buy into this crap.

why didn't you tell me this 24 yrs ago?? ::)

princesss

Ideal_Rock
szh07 said:
I like it!

I didn't like the two months salary rule one bit. This summer, my SO is working the box office for shows at a non-profit theatre, and gets paid in beer. So, his months two months salary=20 beers? Does GOG take trades?

ROFL! That would be fantastic. "Okay, so I'll give you 20 beers - good ones, mind you - and some awesome grass fed beef that I got from the butcher for that .8 ct AV Round. No? What if I throw in my neighbour's goat?"

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
princesss said:
szh07 said:
I like it!

ROFL! That would be fantastic. "Okay, so I'll give you 20 beers - good ones, mind you - and some awesome grass fed beef that I got from the butcher for that .8 ct AV Round. No? What if I throw in my neighbour's goat?"

Hehehe! If only you could barter for AVR's, oh what a world that would be! (sung to the tune of "if all the rain drops were lemon drops and gum drops..") :lol:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got ripped off then!! I only got a 0.47 carat and we dated longer than 11.5 months.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, silly girl. I wish I had been smart enough to think of this approach, but alas, a 2 ct. eye-clean asscher just wasn't in the budget. :devil:

That being said, this justification seems a bit misguided, but hey, since size matter so much to her, I'm sure she'll be thrilled with a 2 ct. hunk of frozen spit with some bits of masticated oreo cookies in it. :devil:

Just say what you mean - you want a 2 ct. diamond because you want it! Not because you "deserve" it.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
So if I got an upgrade this year it should be a 13 1/2 carat ring since I'm married 27 years? OKAY!!!! sign me up!!!

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Blech. I'm all for the girlfriends giving input as to the style they'd like, but this is kind of putting a price tag on the relationship, which is a tad petty.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results