shape
carat
color
clarity

girls,your opinions on .50ct per yr of dating ?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i heard a gal in a jewlery store saying to her friend...

i'm expecting a 2ct ring from him cuz we have been dating for 4 yrs now, .50 ct per yr sounds fair to me.

getting excited

Shiny_Rock
I don't agree with that at all. I don't know if people realize how expensive diamonds can get! If the person has the funds, then go for it! But not because they have been together for a certain amount of time, but because that is the type of ring they want. I have been with my bf for four years and probably won't get anything close to that. Maybe not even half. But as long as I get the ring, I don't care :)

A

Anonymous

vtigger86 said:
i heard a gal in a jewlery store saying to her friend...

i'm expecting a 2ct ring from him cuz we have been dating for 4 yrs now, .50 ct per yr sounds fair to me.

:shock:

The quote that comes to mind is "Expectations are Premeditated Resentments". Seriously, I would never *expect* any carat size. :nono:

Honestly though, as Getting Excited said - there are a lot of things that have to be taken into consideration. You can't just drop a formula into a calculator that doesn't take any of the real factors like finances, long term financial goals, etc. into consideration and say "this is what I expect to get". Bleh!

Mashira

Brilliant_Rock
I totally agree gettingexcited. She should get the ring that he can afford, and she loves. Using that logic, if she were to get a 10 yr upgrade it would be a 5ct diamond... I don't think so! At least for me, that's WAY too large, so it should be based on her taste, not how long they have been together.

Edit: Tammy, I LOVE that quote! :lol:

kagordo4

Shiny_Rock
I actually think that sounds.. crazy?

I agree, I don't think people understand how expensive diamonds are. A "good" cut, SI2 J stone, not even close to eye clean 2.01ct is over $10,000 online ( I just used the diamond search thingy) And in a B&M store? my gosh.

What if you were together for like 10 years before you got married? 5 cts :love: :love: :love:

Edit: Mashira, great minds, huh?

Mashira

Brilliant_Rock
;)) @ kagordo4, yup yup!

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
O man, thats insane, imagine the size diamonds people would be getting....some ladies would be getting 3 cts and above......

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Absurd.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I think it's cute. Not saying I agree with it to be a rule or anything, too many factors play in. But it is pretty funny. Remember the whole "how else can 3 months' salary last forever" thing?

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
I remeber the whole 3 motnhs salary thing. Thats insane too, because people have bills to pay. If thats the case, than i would be getting a 18K ring, and thats just insane. I think its more imporant the ide ana d the feelling behind it. I think people who put numbers and prices on them are a bit on the vain side.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
Has the DeBeers propaganda machine been churning again?
The only proper standard for the cost of an Ering is what
a couple can afford or cares to spend.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might be a LOT on the vain side...I think, after reading this thread, that I will make SO wait a few years before proposing. :bigsmile:

Jessie702

Ideal_Rock
Miss...i agree with you on that.....
Mon....lol.....thats just bad....

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
that sense of entitlement is just... yucky.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is very presumptive. If that what he wants to get her that is one thing - If she is expecting that - she may be very disappointed.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I do not agree with that AT ALL. It's all about what you're able to afford without incurring debt.

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
I should get a 3 ct then? :love:

I think it's crazy. It depends if the guy can afford it. Plus, it would be good to save some $$$ for the wedding, honeymoon, or a down payment for a house.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Then my ring should have been closer to 4 carats. That's just absurd.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If only my husband knew that rule! I am due a 15 ct for my anniversary this year! :bigsmile:

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
If this is the case, then I'm due another 0.19 carats!

In all seriousness, I think that "rule" is pretty nuts. Nothing like expectations like those to set you up for disappointment come proposal time.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
only 0.5?

I think a sliding scale is much more reasonable - a 10% increase per year of dating sounds good.

And then 15% increase per year of marriage, to be cashed in on our 20th anni.

PrincessNatalie

Shiny_Rock
Are we really dignifying this with answers?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby said:
If only my husband knew that rule! I am due a 15 ct for my anniversary this year! :bigsmile:
April...once you are married it goes by the .10ct per yr rule. ;))

RhubarbPie

Shiny_Rock
Haha my boyfriend was joking that he was going to start out with a ring that was 1 carat for each year we've been together (beginning even from when it was unofficial) so almost 4 carats. And then, every time I whined about the ring to him, he was going to deduct .25 carats. If he did that, I would be in the negative carats by now. teehee :tongue:

Mashira

Brilliant_Rock
yssie said:
only 0.5?

I think a sliding scale is much more reasonable - a 10% increase per year of dating sounds good.

And then 15% increase per year of marriage, to be cashed in on our 20th anni.

*falls off of the couch laughing* :lol:

Lets not forget the 30% increase per child.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Well, if that were the "rule" it would at least Zen ladies in waiting the world over a little bit - he may not be ready to propose just yet, but that's ok because you're earning cts as you wait! However, for some guys after they have racked up a couple of years on a GF, maybe it would just be more financially sensible to start over again with a new girl rather than propose to the one he's got and hand over $15k for a diamond.

That's BS, it sounds like what someone would say who has wanted to get married for a while, the BF is not up for it yet, and she’s pissed off and feels that BF owes her something for the time he is making her wait. I'm sorry, it doesn’t work like that.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
OR maybe she just want's a 2ct rock and is trying to justify why she deserves it ;))

Mashira

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's the latter. I've definitely heard women say as much in other forums (justifying carats to wait time). Does that actually justify it? Nope. :cheeky:

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Although I've never heard of anything that ridiculous...

I would definitely be ok with that.
.5 ct x 6 years = 3 carats
Yes, please! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results