shape
carat
color
clarity

Girdle Reflection Questions - Please help = )

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

east

Rough_Rock
I look at the girdle reflection pictures in this forum, compare to the engagement ring that I got for my fiance, the pictures show a much more defined and transparent reflection.

Actually, I am not even sure if it is truly girdle reflection in my fiance''s ring, or if it is inclusion of some sort. I saw a cloudy , bubble like like below the girdle, when I try to look through the "bubbles" from the side, it appears like a whitish cloud, do you know if it is a girdle reflection or not?

For your information, below is the diamond info from my AGS report:

Measurements: 6.78-6.80x4.18mm
Cut Grade: AGS Ideal (Triple 0)
Color: H
Clarity: SI 1
Crown Angle: 34.9 degree
Pavilion Angle: 40.7 degree
Table: 56.5%
Depth: 61.6%
Crown: 15.2%
Girdle: 1.5% to 4%
Pavilion: 42.9%

Please advise!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whitish cloud? Sounds like an inclusion. If it does not go all the way around, it is not the reflection.

east

Rough_Rock
Julie, thanks for your reply. I probably didn''t discribe it well, it does go all around. It is a "ring" like "cloud" below the girdle. It looks like that the "cloud" occuplied the entire cross section if I look from the side. The "cloud" is slightly thicker than the girdle.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds like the girdle reflection. You should have a good idea where the inclusions are from the cert.

east

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Do you know why the girdle reflection is not as transparent and thin compare to other diamond?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/8/2006 9:51:28 PM
Author:east
I look at the girdle reflection pictures in this forum, compare to the engagement ring that I got for my fiance, the pictures show a much more defined and transparent reflection.

Actually, I am not even sure if it is truly girdle reflection in my fiance''s ring, or if it is inclusion of some sort. I saw a cloudy , bubble like like below the girdle, when I try to look through the ''bubbles'' from the side, it appears like a whitish cloud, do you know if it is a girdle reflection or not?

For your information, below is the diamond info from my AGS report:

Measurements: 6.78-6.80x4.18mm
Cut Grade: AGS Ideal (Triple 0)
Color: H
Clarity: SI 1
Crown Angle: 34.9 degree
Pavilion Angle: 40.7 degree
Table: 56.5%
Depth: 61.6%
Crown: 15.2%
Girdle: 1.5% to 4%
Pavilion: 42.9%

Please advise!

Depending on light direction you might see something like this - if the girdle is bruted (not faceted) there would be more prominant markings.

gird refl.jpg

east

Rough_Rock
Thanks Garry! My diamond does look like that, a "cloud" like reflection under the girdle.

I suppose the thicker the girdle, the bigger the girdle reflection, am I right? My diamond has "medium - slightly thick" girdle. Also, how do I know if the girdle is bruted?

Lastly and most importantly, is it easy to chip the girdle? Would that make the girdle reflection bigger? I didn''t notice the big girdle reflection when I purchased it, not sure if it is the light setting different or something happens to the girdle afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results