Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Girdle Reflection Questions - Please help = )

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

east

Rough_Rock
I look at the girdle reflection pictures in this forum, compare to the engagement ring that I got for my fiance, the pictures show a much more defined and transparent reflection.

Actually, I am not even sure if it is truly girdle reflection in my fiance''s ring, or if it is inclusion of some sort. I saw a cloudy , bubble like like below the girdle, when I try to look through the "bubbles" from the side, it appears like a whitish cloud, do you know if it is a girdle reflection or not?

For your information, below is the diamond info from my AGS report:

Measurements: 6.78-6.80x4.18mm
Cut Grade: AGS Ideal (Triple 0)
Color: H
Clarity: SI 1
Crown Angle: 34.9 degree
Pavilion Angle: 40.7 degree
Table: 56.5%
Depth: 61.6%
Crown: 15.2%
Girdle: 1.5% to 4%
Pavilion: 42.9%

Please advise!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whitish cloud? Sounds like an inclusion. If it does not go all the way around, it is not the reflection.

east

Rough_Rock
Julie, thanks for your reply. I probably didn''t discribe it well, it does go all around. It is a "ring" like "cloud" below the girdle. It looks like that the "cloud" occuplied the entire cross section if I look from the side. The "cloud" is slightly thicker than the girdle.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds like the girdle reflection. You should have a good idea where the inclusions are from the cert.

east

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Do you know why the girdle reflection is not as transparent and thin compare to other diamond?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/8/2006 9:51:28 PM
Author:east
I look at the girdle reflection pictures in this forum, compare to the engagement ring that I got for my fiance, the pictures show a much more defined and transparent reflection.

Actually, I am not even sure if it is truly girdle reflection in my fiance''s ring, or if it is inclusion of some sort. I saw a cloudy , bubble like like below the girdle, when I try to look through the ''bubbles'' from the side, it appears like a whitish cloud, do you know if it is a girdle reflection or not?

For your information, below is the diamond info from my AGS report:

Measurements: 6.78-6.80x4.18mm
Cut Grade: AGS Ideal (Triple 0)
Color: H
Clarity: SI 1
Crown Angle: 34.9 degree
Pavilion Angle: 40.7 degree
Table: 56.5%
Depth: 61.6%
Crown: 15.2%
Girdle: 1.5% to 4%
Pavilion: 42.9%

Please advise!
Depending on light direction you might see something like this - if the girdle is bruted (not faceted) there would be more prominant markings.

gird refl.jpg

east

Rough_Rock
Thanks Garry! My diamond does look like that, a "cloud" like reflection under the girdle.

I suppose the thicker the girdle, the bigger the girdle reflection, am I right? My diamond has "medium - slightly thick" girdle. Also, how do I know if the girdle is bruted?

Lastly and most importantly, is it easy to chip the girdle? Would that make the girdle reflection bigger? I didn''t notice the big girdle reflection when I purchased it, not sure if it is the light setting different or something happens to the girdle afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding
    August Birthstone 2020: Peridot
    August Birthstone 2020: Peridot

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.