Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Girdle: Extremely Thin to Slightly Thick

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

schwimbo

Rough_Rock
I am looking at buying a Princess Cut diamond with the following characteristics: clarity: vvs2, color: D, Table:68.5, Depth: 77 and Girdle Extremly Thin to Slightly Thick. I am comfortable with all the dimensions but the girdle. Everything I read says to avoid the extremes, but I am unsure if it is in a range if it is ok. Please help.

larry

Rough_Rock
You might want to stay away from an Extremely Thin girdle unless it is going to be put in a piece of jewelry that will protect it from chipping. An Extremely Thin girdle is subject to fracture at the gem/metal interface in jewelry setting and in active wear when the diamond is subjected to impact. Also with having such a wide variation on the girdle it is most likely you are going to lose some spread due to carat weight being carried in the girdle.

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the guy with the pink hair.

If you are looking for a diamond for a solitaire ring, I would stay away from diamonds with an extremely thin girdle (because it may chip) or extremely thick girdle (because you are wasting money).

If its for a pendant or an earring, it's not a problem.

If it's for a ring and you have your heart set on this diamond, find out where along the girdle it gets extremely thin and make sure you have it mounted in a way that you can minimize the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2
    Diamonds and Jewelry - Recommended Reads, Part 2

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.