shape
carat
color
clarity

gidle - slightly thick(looks dull from side)???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bobby

Rough_Rock
Hi. I just purchased a Diamond. It was just recently set. When I look at the girdle of the diamond(side view) it looks dull.(white) Is this possible? What would this mean? The diamond has a slightly thick girdle. I noticed this after the diamond was set.

Thanks

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Bobby, what you've got there is a frosted girdle. Perfectly normal. Girdles usually are either frosted or faceted, or sometimes polished. All have a beauty of their own, and the choice of which is a matter of preference.

Slightly thick is not bad either. Medium is considered ideal, but slightly thick is fine.

Congratulations on your new diamond!

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

bobby

Rough_Rock
Thanks Richard!

bobby

Rough_Rock
Actually, do you know if the girdle can be polished, or does this process take place early in the cutting process.

Thanks

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Girdle

The girdle is a very important part of the cutting process.

If you can see the thickness and it is obvious, it is considered a minus,in diamond grading.

The girdle can be polished again, but you would also potentially flatten out the "points" and make the symmetry grade less, requiring recutting and RECERTIFICATION of the diamond.

Another point to consider is the carat weight of the stone. If the stone is near 1.00 ( or another weight such as 1.50, 2.00 etc.) recutting might result in it weighing under 1.00, which of course would decrease its value.

This is a consideration that is COMMONLY ignored by consumers..... i.e. consideration of whether you're getting a well cut 1.00 or a stone that would finish and cost less if properly cut.

I am not writing this to frighten you, as your diamond may be just fine.... but properly analyzing the situation is important to evaluating it.

Rockdoc

bobby

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info Rock Doc. I've extremely picky and have a very good eye. The rock was detailed by a very reputable agency. The appraisal was also much much higher vs. the Jeweler but I should mention that no one brought up the frosted sides. The rock falls under "ideal cut" and has great fire. Overall I'm very happy with the price paid. Even if I purchased a ring that was perfect I'm sure I would find something.

Heh, once again, thanyou for the info.

PS. The diamond is exactly 1.003 qt.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results