shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA XXX to WF ACA: Upgrading to diamond with almost the exact same specs!

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bet you could still get an ACA just under 2 carats OR an expert selection in a slightly larger size than your current stone for way less than $6k and still be eligible for future upgrades. You already have the Emilya setting, or you’re getting that on top of this stone upgrade? I think that setting is several $K as well. Maybe combine all of your $Ks and go for the biggest solitaire you can afford.

Second this. You are paying a premium for over 2 carats. I’d wait for a 1.9X and save 4 of those 6K

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I bet you could still get an ACA just under 2 carats OR an expert selection in a slightly larger size than your current stone for way less than $6k and still be eligible for future upgrades.

While I love the spirit of this advice, it is much harder to do than it sounds. There is an excellent article by John Pollard about why there are so few diamonds just below major price increase weights. Primarily it is because those who are only interested in weight will cut a diamond with lots of extra "hidden" weight to cross that price increase weight and charge much more than a great cutter can charge for the same diamond if cut to just below the 2 ct. being talked about here.

If you should see an ACA of just below 2 cts., grab it quickly, it will not last long...

Wink

carolinenc

Rough_Rock
I’m curious. Why is this diamond going to cost you 6k if you didn’t buy the current stone from WF? Is WF taking outside trades again? I thought someone had posted a few months ago that they weren’t.

WF will still consider it on a selective basis, but they declined buying my stone. They said back in 2015 that they would buy it from me for about $9k, but they are no longer able to do it for my stone. I have another buyer through someone my husband knows for the same price.

While I love the spirit of this advice, it is much harder to do than it sounds. There is an excellent article by John Pollard about why there are so few diamonds just below major price increase weights. Primarily it is because those who are only interested in weight will cut a diamond with lots of extra "hidden" weight to cross that price increase weight and charge much more than a great cutter can charge for the same diamond if cut to just below the 2 ct. being talked about here.

If you should see an ACA of just below 2 cts., grab it quickly, it will not last long...

Wink

I considered 1.9 ct and looked a few options. The price different really wasn't that much cheaper (about $1k), and at that point looking at the dimensions of the diamond, I think I may have been able to tell it was smaller. I decided it was worth it to stick with the slightly larger stone that was closer to my current diamond vs getting one that might be noticeably smaller. They do currently have a 1.9 J SI ACA if anyone is interested!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To answer your original question. I was recently in your shoes wanting to trade up my triple excellent 2.20 I SI2 for an ACA but it was cost prohibitive for me. Hca score was a 5.6. And I did t know what bothered me about it. I thought it just wasn’t mind clean Bc of ps. Lol. Boy was I wrong. I didn’t do aca But I traded up with my jeweler for close to ideal. It now scores under 2. I forgot. But I love it. Love love love that I traded up. Also got a 2.52 I. So went a little bigger. And I paid 5k more so I think paying 6k to get your foot in the upgrade wf program is well worth it. Just don’t set your stone in your ideal setting just yet. Appreciate your stone and its ideal cut in solitaire. Trust me. Wow. You will see the difference. And you might want to upgrade for color and size bc it will be so easy! What does your stone score on the hca now?

carolinenc

Rough_Rock
To answer your original question. I was recently in your shoes wanting to trade up my triple excellent 2.20 I SI2 for an ACA but it was cost prohibitive for me. Hca score was a 5.6. And I did t know what bothered me about it. I thought it just wasn’t mind clean Bc of ps. Lol. Boy was I wrong. I didn’t do aca But I traded up with my jeweler for close to ideal. It now scores under 2. I forgot. But I love it. Love love love that I traded up. Also got a 2.52 I. So went a little bigger. And I paid 5k more so I think paying 6k to get your foot in the upgrade wf program is well worth it. Just don’t set your stone in your ideal setting just yet. Appreciate your stone and its ideal cut in solitaire. Trust me. Wow. You will see the difference. And you might want to upgrade for color and size bc it will be so easy! What does your stone score on the hca now?

Thanks for your input! My current stone is a 3.8 on the HCA. I ordered the new stone today from WF and it will be here next week so we will see! I haven't been able to decide if I should set it in my current setting or just ship it to Victor for the new setting - good advice to wait and see how I feel about it.

I'm so glad you love your new diamond even more!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your input! My current stone is a 3.8 on the HCA. I ordered the new stone today from WF and it will be here next week so we will see! I haven't been able to decide if I should set it in my current setting or just ship it to Victor for the new setting - good advice to wait and see how I feel about it.

I'm so glad you love your new diamond even more!
Can’t wait to hear what you think. Please keep us posted!

carolinenc

Rough_Rock
I got the new diamond yesterday! I’ve been testing it out in different lighting and I can definitely see a difference. It’s not always that apparent but the weird dark area in my current diamond at certain angles is not present, I can see more fire, and it just feels sharper and more symmetrical as well as more brilliant. I tried to take some pics but they didn’t come out very well on my phone.

I can't really tell that it's smaller than my current diamond, which is nice.

And I'm very glad that now I can upgrade again in the future if I chose to do so via WF! =)2

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg pics o_O!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad that you are loving your new stone but we definitely need some pictures! They don't have to be perfect - just keep trying!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next to my current diamond which is also SI1 J 2 ct EA551B73-47EB-493F-A66B-54EBE16CCC1C.jpeg 256C413B-7981-40CD-ABC1-78C5832C48B1.jpeg E032CCBD-975F-4A8A-8E10-97F621B518F0.jpeg

You did a great job with pics! It does look like cut quality improvement when side by side with your ring. What are your thoughts regarding a setting for it?

carolinenc

Rough_Rock
You did a great job with pics! It does look like cut quality improvement when side by side with your ring. What are your thoughts regarding a setting for it?

My plan is to send it to Victor and set it in the Emilya. I'm a little nervous though! I'm trying to get over the nerves and may mail it to him tomorrow.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next to my current diamond which is also SI1 J 2 ct EA551B73-47EB-493F-A66B-54EBE16CCC1C.jpeg 256C413B-7981-40CD-ABC1-78C5832C48B1.jpeg E032CCBD-975F-4A8A-8E10-97F621B518F0.jpeg

The new stone looks beautiful and brighter compared to your current stone, which is definitely a result of the amazing cut! I'm sure you'll be thrilled once you set it in the Emilya. Can't wait to see it once it's done!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also see a difference. Your new stone is bright and gorgeous!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks beautiful!!! And it will be even more fabulous in the Emilya!

carolinenc

Rough_Rock
I finally received the new rings last night! I'll post on SMTB soon, but I wanted to report back here as well. I can see a huge difference between the upgrade and my previous ring. Not only in the diamond but also the setting. It seems huge (so much finger coverage!) and so blingy, I'm a little self conscious today. (On the other hand, my husband said it looks exactly the same, so I'm hoping most people don't notice). I went to the dentist this morning and the lady at the front desk immediately commented on it and asked if it was new. How could she possibly realize this? I only go there every 6 months... haha

I'll post a picture from my phone in a second.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! What an amazing difference. :love: Definitely open a SMTB thread and post more photos!

AV_

Ideal_Rock

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice - well done!

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Stunning! :love:

Krisking

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful... enjoy!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@carolinenc your new set looks absolutely gorgeous! :love:

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks great, well worth it!:appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely beautiful set of rings! And don't worry - your eyes will quickly adjust to the size and you'll swear they shrunk overnight - ha! Then just put them away for a day and put them back on and voila - the size will have returned!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!!:love: Such a good decision to go with an ACA for the Emilya! I'll look forward to seeing more pictures on your Show Me the Bling thread!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning!!!!! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results