shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA XXX to WF ACA: Upgrading to diamond with almost the exact same specs!

carolinenc

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I posted a few years ago about considering upgrading my current GIA XXX diamond to a diamond with an even better cut. I didn't pull the trigger but am ready to do it now. I just wanted to get input from you guys to see if you think this is worthwhile. This is going to cost me about $6,000 out of pocket, so I'm hoping I am able to see a difference and it's "worth it" (which I realize can only be determined by me). There has also been something about my current diamond that bothers me - at some angles it appears to have a small dark area towards the middle. It's not as bad as the pics I've seen of a nail head but reminds me of that somewhat. I truly don't see much color in my J, and I'm hoping this one will be even whiter given the ideal cut. Also, S1 clarity is fine to me as long as it's eye clean. The new diamond is a little bit smaller, but I am not that worried about the difference. I want to get it set in the Emilya halo :dance:, so I don't think it will matter. (I've been wanting to get that setting but was scared to do so until I felt 100% happy with my diamond). Let me know what you think! If I asked anyone I know in real life about this they would think I'm absolutely crazy. ;-)

P.S. I also have a .9 J SiI ACA that I wear in a pendant every day

My current diamond is:
Measurements: 8.26 - 8.29 x 4.94 mm

Carat Weight: 2.02 carat
Color Grade: J
Clarity Grade: SI1
Cut Grade : Excellent

Depth: 59.7 %
Table: 59 %
Crown Angle: 32.0°
Crown Height: 12.5%
Pavilion Angle: 41.6°
Pavilion Depth: 44.5%
Star Length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted, 3.0%
Culet: None

The diamond I have on hold at WF is:

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4024622.htm

8.10x8.12x4.96 mm

2.014 ct J SI1 A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Diamond

Depth % 61.1
Table % 57.4
Crown Angle 34.1
Star 55.0
Pavilion Angle 40.7
Crown % 14.4
Lower Girdle % 76.0

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's your budget for the upgrade? There may be other options out there from other vendors that could be worth a look :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ACA would be gorgeous, of course... but $6K out of pocket for a smaller stone?? I don't know if I could justify it, personally. Why not upgrade to a non-branded stone with a much better cut and save some cash? You could try searching for one that barely misses the ACA criteria, and maybe even go up in size or color.

If you need to upgrade via WF, just get a super nice expert selection stone.

carolinenc

Rough_Rock
What's your budget for the upgrade? There may be other options out there from other vendors that could be worth a look :)

I didn't have an exact budget...but I could have paid more if I found something I really got excited about. I'm pretty set on WF though so upgrade in case I ever decide to do this again.

carolinenc

Rough_Rock
The ACA would be gorgeous, of course... but $6K out of pocket for a smaller stone?? I don't know if I could justify it, personally. Why not upgrade to a non-branded stone with a much better cut and save some cash? You could try searching for one that barely misses the ACA criteria, and maybe even go up in size or color.

If you need to upgrade via WF, just get a super nice expert selection stone.

Yes...good point. But since I am getting a halo and I was already a little bit self conscious about adding a halo to a 2 ct stone, I've decided it doesn't really bother me. My goal was not to get a bigger stone.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes...good point. But since I am getting a halo and I was already a little bit self conscious about adding a halo to a 2 ct stone, I've decided it doesn't really bother me. My goal was not to get a bigger stone.

I totally get that... the halo will give a lot more finger coverage, for sure! I still wouldn't be out of pocket that much unless I could upgrade something more obvious -- like color! Get a GIA XXX I color that is eye clean with a beautiful cut and save cash. You will notice the better cut and color, but I'm not sure if I'd pay for the ACA in this case. Just my $0.02. ;-)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just noticed where you mentioned the J bothered you sometimes... so go for I! I had a GIA J in a halo, and I was happy with it. However, once I upgraded in size and got an I color, I can tell a really big difference.

Katya DXB

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am quite positive you will be able to see a difference between the two diamonds. The specs may seem close on paper but the look won't be the same: the GIA XXX is close to what they call a 60/60 diamond (table and depth % close to 60%, shallow crown) - that type of make gives more white light return (brilliance) but lower dispersion (fire). The ACA is cut to maximize fire, so you will see lots of colored flashes. They (the flashes) will also look more prominent than on the GIA XXX. It's two very different looks. Have you had a chance to check any stones with specs similar to ACA in person? Might be a good idea to compare them side by side with your diamond and decide whether - and to which extent - you like the other look better.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am quite positive you will be able to see a difference between the two diamonds. The specs may seem close on paper but the look won't be the same: the GIA XXX is close to what they call a 60/60 diamond (table and depth % close to 60%, shallow crown) - that type of make gives more white light return (brilliance) but lower dispersion (fire). The ACA is cut to maximize fire, so you will see lots of colored flashes. They (the flashes) will also look more prominent than on the GIA XXX. It's two very different looks. Have you had a chance to check any stones with specs similar to ACA in person? Might be a good idea to compare them side by side with your diamond and decide whether - and to which extent - you like the other look better.

There have been many here (including those in the superideal trade) who have said that most people cannot tell the difference... so it's not quite fair to say if the OP would know the difference or not. Also, there is a big premium on superideals, so I'd hate for her to waste money on something she has no idea if she would appreciate for that premium.

I have no doubt OP would see the difference in her original stone and an ACA... however, she may not be able to appreciate (and justify the cost) of a branded superideal vs a great . My argument was to find an amazingly cut NON-branded diamond... get the same look and save a bunch of money. :)

Katya DXB

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm totally with you @msop04 - that's why I'm suggesting that OP tries to compare two different looks side by side (I was mostly responding to this thread's title) :) I think that could be a good starting point. Then OP can decide if she needs a super ideal or perhaps another GIA XXX or an AGS Ideal cut to different specs could be an option. Personally, I am very happy with my GIA XXX but I get the super ideal itch, too lol

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are there any non super ideal vendors with the same upgrade policy as WF and HPD? OP stated she wanted to have the option to upgrade.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm totally with you @msop04 - that's why I'm suggesting that OP tries to compare two different looks side by side (I was mostly responding to this thread's title) :) I think that could be a good starting point. Then OP can decide if she needs a super ideal or perhaps another GIA XXX or an AGS Ideal cut to different specs could be an option. Personally, I am very happy with my GIA XXX but I get the super ideal itch, too lol

I get you... I'm in the same position. Too bad I can't just win the lottery. ;-)

carolinenc

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input. Also I think in the same way that a lot of people want a "mind clean" stone from a clarify standpoint (inclusions that I can't see don't bother me!), I think having a ACA is helpful for me just to feel like I have the best cut. But I have considered the option of getting a non branded stone, which I'm not completely opposed to, but the idea of having an ACA is appealing to me.

I still have my current diamond though so I am going to compare them side by side to see if I can tell the difference! If I can't...then it will definitely go back.

Katya DXB

Shiny_Rock
Premium
There have been many here (including those in the superideal trade) who have said that most people cannot tell the difference... so it's not quite fair to say if the OP would know the difference or not. Also, there is a big premium on superideals, so I'd hate for her to waste money on something she has no idea if she would appreciate for that premium.

I am not saying that OP will be able to tell the difference between a super ideal and a GIA XXX cut to the same - or similar - specs. I am saying that there is a difference in looks between a diamond that is cut close to 60/60 (OP's GIA XXX) and a TIC diamond (the ACA in this case, but can also be a non-superideal). :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are there any non super ideal vendors with the same upgrade policy as WF and HPD? OP stated she wanted to have the option to upgrade.

Diamonds Direct has a 110% upgrade policy with no restrictions other than that you spend $1 more with each upgrade. I've done it twice. They aren't online, but they do have several showrooms and lots of inventory that they will call in from another location. One caveat is that you must know what you're looking for and be adamant. PS members will know more than the floor sales associates when it comes to cut. They just push GIA XXX and say "it's the best, you can't get any better than that..."

I just say, "Great. Now this is what I want..." and indicate that I won't consider anything outside said specs/range, so don't bother. *nicely, of course* ;-)

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 That's right, I completely forgot about Diamond Direct (I shouldn't have because when I first found out they had a 110% upgrade policy I googled to see if we had one in the area).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the input. Also I think in the same way that a lot of people want a "mind clean" stone from a clarify standpoint (inclusions that I can't see don't bother me!), I think having a ACA is helpful for me just to feel like I have the best cut. But I have considered the option of getting a non branded stone, which I'm not completely opposed to, but the idea of having an ACA is appealing to me.

I still have my current diamond though so I am going to compare them side by side to see if I can tell the difference! If I can't...then it will definitely go back.

Forget your current diamond... the new one will be better cut regardless of ideal or superideal. You need to try to compare "ideal specs", "almost superideal", and superideal -- then see if the difference is worth it to you or not. :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 That's right, I completely forgot about Diamond Direct (I shouldn't have because when I first found out they had a 110% upgrade policy I googled to see if we had one in the area).

What part of the country are you in, @Wewechew?? :)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s going to be amazing and I understand why you want the ACA.

carolinenc

Rough_Rock
I bought my original from Diamond Direct (as you may know from my old thread). They are over an hour away though and I don't have time to go check stuff out. I tried to ask for their help a few years ago and got frustrated. I don't have the time to deal with it and I guess I do like the idea of having a "ACA." I guess I'm willing to pay a little more for the name brand to have a better upgrade experience in the future should I ever decide to do that.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought my original from Diamond Direct (as you may know from my old thread). They are over an hour away though and I don't have time to go check stuff out. I tried to ask for their help a few years ago and got frustrated. I don't have the time to deal with it and I guess I do like the idea of having a "ACA." I guess I'm willing to pay a little more for the name brand to have a better upgrade experience in the future should I ever decide to do that.

Then there's your answer! :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto :))

With an ACA you are guaranteed cream of the crop performance. If "quick", "low-stress", and "future-proof" are top priority characteristics for you, and you're willing to pay for that buying experience, WF is one of the best vendors out there - I've been working with them for a decade and wholeheartedly recommend them ::)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You know PS is a sounding board. And as such, you know what you want.:))

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I upgraded an AGS0 stone a couple of years ago to an ACA. It was actually a couple of points smaller but there was definitely enough of a cut difference to make it very worthwhile to me. My decision - as I'm sure yours is - was the culmination of a hard thought process. I too wanted the ACA - didn't want any more doubts about cut quality and I wasn't disappointed! I wanted no more second guessing in terms of cut quality and really wanted the assurance that an ACA brought with it. After a year or so, I decided I wanted a bit more of that goodness and upgraded from a 2.19 to a 2.53. You are also paying for the privilege of being able to upgrade anytime you want with no hassle or haggling. I paid for that privilege but have never regretted the decision. There is a visual balance to these stones that is just beautiful and if you are really interested in having the best of the best, a super ideal cut stone is the way to go!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet you could still get an ACA just under 2 carats OR an expert selection in a slightly larger size than your current stone for way less than $6k and still be eligible for future upgrades. You already have the Emilya setting, or you’re getting that on top of this stone upgrade? I think that setting is several $K as well. Maybe combine all of your $Ks and go for the biggest solitaire you can afford.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
honestly, if the ring of your dreams is an ACA in an emilya, I'd go for it. I've had a GIA 60/60 diamond (<2HCA, good idealscope/ASET) XXX and now this ACA, and they don't even compare. The fire is unreal, something I did not have in my GIA. You will be floored going from a 60/60 to a superideal!

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm in the DFW area. We have a DD in Dallas :)

I’m in DFW, too. If you get the itch to go look at DD, I’ve never been and I’d love to go with you. :kiss2:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m curious. Why is this diamond going to cost you 6k if you didn’t buy the current stone from WF? Is WF taking outside trades again? I thought someone had posted a few months ago that they weren’t.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results