shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA vs. IGI Knowledge Base

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Eye_of_Bravais

Rough_Rock
Hi Gang,

I was wondering, from the group''s expertise, what the general opinions were regarding IGI vs GIA when it came to:

1) Level of knowledge obtained/ exposed to after acquiring either an IGI or GIA diploma/certificate of completion, etc. in their respective diamond programs, graduate gemologist programs, etc.

2) Having obtained a "credential" form either IGI or GIA, which ones are more widely respected domestically in the US as well as internationally. Do they have different degrees of reputation depending on what country you''re in? Is one universally more accepted than the other?

3) Do the GIA and IGI collaborate to any extent regarding decisions on classifications of color, definitions of "ideal" and the like? I know currently their official standards are slightly different, but do they "play" well with one another?

Thanks!

robbe

Shiny_Rock
hi, as far as i know,

"Level of knowledge obtained/ exposed to after acquiring either an IGI or GIA diploma"

content of course is the same. gia's courses are longer and more theoretical, igi's are shorter and more practical.

"which ones are more widely respected domestically in the US as well as internationally".

gia's courses are very good. always good to have "gg" on namecard.

igi's courses are also very good and again, much more practical.

also igi has rough diamond courses which i have followed myself; must say that one was excellent.

"GIA and IGI collaborate"

you should ask gia or igi.

i would guess they don't, but they must watch eachother very closely, their standards are the same or extremely close on color & clartity.

robbe

Isaac Zak

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I work for a company called Signed Pieces for 2.5 years.

G.I.A is the most widely respected domestically in the US as well as internationally.

Signed Pieces exclusively sells jewelry from well-known makers such as
Tiffany, Cartier, Bulgari and Van Cleef & Arpels as well as diamonds that are certified by the Gemological Institute of America at prices substantially below retail.

Our website is WWW.SignedPieces.com

and our user name on ebay is signedpiecesinc.

This is what you need to request from a seller when you are making a purchase:

1. Unconditional Refund (no restocking fee, or any other fees).

2. if you are buying a diamond, it must be G.I.A certified.

3. Must be Ideal or Premium Cut only

I.Z

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results