shape
carat
color
clarity

Gia report pic

Hi, I have been interested in the round purple for over a year. I always wanted a vivid purple, I see this oval stone on africagems and it even looks vivid on the Gia. Would the round be considered atleast rich, does the Gia give a accurate reflection, thoughts on the two stones??thank you in advance

Attachments

• 5FFBCDB8-6505-4012-A985-A34D29C4EE43.jpeg
    5FFBCDB8-6505-4012-A985-A34D29C4EE43.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 69

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I have been interested in the round purple for over a year. I always wanted a vivid purple, I see this oval stone on africagems and it even looks vivid on the Gia. Would the round be considered atleast rich, does the Gia give a accurate reflection, thoughts on the two stones??thank you in advance
Is that picture taken on a white, backlit surface? That will make anything look brighter, I imagine!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both snips of the Gia report, I thought it would be the same then?
I am no expert! but that would seem to make sense - GIA would want consistent imaging so stones graded by them can be compared.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
Comparing two photos from the same lab may make sense, but I feel the labs don't make pics to present them as IRL but rather for ID purposes so their reports can't be faked too easily.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe that most labs (including GIA) has a disclaimer printed on the lab memo stating that the pictures are there for ID purposes only, and isn't accurate for colour.

Comparing two photos from the same lab may make sense, but I feel the labs don't make pics to present them as IRL but rather for ID purposes so their reports can't be faked too easily.
Thank you, I didn't know this. It was just interesting it said vivid and the pic showed a much more vivid (shiny) sapphire. I appreciate your response

I believe that most labs (including GIA) has a disclaimer printed on the lab memo stating that the pictures are there for ID purposes only, and isn't accurate for colour.
Thank you for your response!

Would this stone be considered rich or vivid? problems as the color doesn't stretch to the corners (sorry if I didn't say that right). I was told some sellers use a torch light, is there a way to know if they did?

Attachments

• Indoor Light.jpg
    Indoor Light.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Outdoor Light.jpg
    Outdoor Light.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 46
  • pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 47
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 44
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 46

voce

Ideal_Rock
Would this stone be considered rich or vivid? problems as the color doesn't stretch to the corners (sorry if I didn't say that right). I was told some sellers use a torch light, is there a way to know if they did?
I don't think they used a torchlight here. With a torchlight, it would be super bright where the light hits. Here I see plenty of shadows, so no torchlight was used. I would consider this color saturation vivid, though it seems you are taking issue with the cut, which has its pros and cons.

I don't think they used a torchlight here. With a torchlight, it would be super bright where the light hits. Here I see plenty of shadows, so no torchlight was used. I would consider this color saturation vivid, though it seems you are taking issue with the cut, which has its pros and cons.
Thank you so much for responding! I think the cut is beautiful, but please no I am not an expert and really don't know how a perfect cut should look. Do you see issues with the stone? cut, is anything off from your experience?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for responding! I think the cut is beautiful, but please no I am not an expert and really don't know how a perfect cut should look. Do you see issues with the stone? cut, is anything off from your experience?
I think cut is an issue of personal taste. There are gem cutters who cut windows quite intentionally. You already mentioned the color not stretching to the corners (I would say the outer edge), which I believe has to do with the cut the cutter chose. I love the color of this gem, but being able to see the extinction in the center (the black behind those pinpricks of color in the center) would be what looks off to me. This may also have to do with personal taste, because I prefer round cuts where I can see the chunky facets, such as http://www.precisiongem.com/gemstackpage/gems.php?product/page/2112/Gem+2170+Pink+Sapphire.

I think cut is an issue of personal taste. There are gem cutters who cut windows quite intentionally. You already mentioned the color not stretching to the corners (I would say the outer edge), which I believe has to do with the cut the cutter chose. I love the color of this gem, but being able to see the extinction in the center (the black behind those pinpricks of color in the center) would be what looks off to me. This may also have to do with personal taste, because I prefer round cuts where I can see the chunky facets, such as http://www.precisiongem.com/gemstackpage/gems.php?product/page/2112/Gem+2170+Pink+Sapphire.
Thank you for the response! This is very helpful and appreciated.

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock

They use LED lights. I discovered this when one seller mentioned he was using LED lights. And I absolutely could not tell from the picture. It looked like normal daylight. I don't know how they do this.

They use LED lights. I discovered this when one seller mentioned he was using LED lights. And I absolutely could not tell from the picture. It looked like normal daylight. I don't know how they do this.
Are you saying that this will look better in the pics b/c of the LED lights?

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Are you saying that this will look better in the pics b/c of the LED lights?

I don't know. I know that somehow, LED lights can be used.

I am not in the trade so I would not know how the pictures are taken.

I recall being surprised that LED lights were mentioned by the seller, yet the picture did not seem to show it.

I don't know. I know that somehow, LED lights can be used.

I am not in the trade so I would not know how the pictures are taken.

I recall being surprised that LED lights were mentioned by the seller, yet the picture did not seem to show it.
That is interesting. Thank you for your response

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think with the vivid deeper purple you really need to see them in person. So I’d buy from a vendor who is happy to accept returns. B7F8CCBB-82B6-41B0-8F1E-26D4A808A2D4.jpeg BACC18A8-24F4-4A7E-9C1D-74A78C4FB2BF.jpeg Trying to photograph mine it quickly became apparent that the photos (just an iPhone) dont equal the colour my eyes are actually seeing.

I think with the vivid deeper purple you really need to see them in person. So I’d buy from a vendor who is happy to accept returns. B7F8CCBB-82B6-41B0-8F1E-26D4A808A2D4.jpeg BACC18A8-24F4-4A7E-9C1D-74A78C4FB2BF.jpeg Trying to photograph mine it quickly became apparent that the photos (just an iPhone) dont equal the colour my eyes are actually seeing.
Thank you for the pics. Are these purple blue color change? Do you have the vendor pics? Upon initial look I would not say these are vivid from a pic, thank you for sharing as its clear pics can be different than our eyes.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the pics. Are these purple blue color change? Do you have the vendor pics? Upon initial look I would not say these are vivid from a pic, thank you for sharing as its clear pics can be different than our eyes.
They are mine. But yes I would say they are colour change, varying between a magenta purple to blue purple. But they definitely look more like Cadbury purple in real life than by photo. It’s weird how the colour doesn’t want to photograph.
And these two sapphires look like completely different gems under an LED light (microscope) versus natural daylight. 363545B1-54DB-4A84-B57B-B7D21025E4BF.jpeg 2019FA2D-9FCF-4240-8967-EE980F55ACEF.jpeg

They are mine. But yes I would say they are colour change, varying between a magenta purple to blue purple. But they definitely look more like Cadbury purple in real life than by photo. It’s weird how the colour doesn’t want to photograph.
And these two sapphires look like completely different gems under an LED light (microscope) versus natural daylight. 363545B1-54DB-4A84-B57B-B7D21025E4BF.jpeg 2019FA2D-9FCF-4240-8967-EE980F55ACEF.jpeg

I decided to purchase and received the stone. As we all know these are hard to photograph but it is almost there with pics, thoughts?

Attachments

• F35B3916-048B-4F90-9A49-4DE8D42F67FE.jpeg
    F35B3916-048B-4F90-9A49-4DE8D42F67FE.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 40
  • C68F3976-0A13-4C84-98B2-374D60BA1FA6.jpeg
    C68F3976-0A13-4C84-98B2-374D60BA1FA6.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 89C9B17C-4A64-47E1-AD24-EAA6BAD55AF4.jpeg
    89C9B17C-4A64-47E1-AD24-EAA6BAD55AF4.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 40

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say that is pretty true to photo for me! There is always a margin of what the camera does and doesn't capture but that is beautiful and close enough to the original photos given that screens display pictures differently too.

Also agree cut is very personal. I recently bought a crooked as hell pink stone. The colour is amazing and so was the price. Can't have everything in life so I just hid the wonky windowed cut with a suitable setting.

I would say that is pretty true to photo for me! There is always a margin of what the camera does and doesn't capture but that is beautiful and close enough to the original photos given that screens display pictures differently too.

Also agree cut is very personal. I recently bought a crooked as hell pink stone. The colour is amazing and so was the price. Can't have everything in life so I just hid the wonky windowed cut with a suitable setting.

Thank you for your response. I feel like it definitely is too, I just was concerned that the pricing of $5600 for 9mm may be too much. In addition do all or most all tend to be somewhat dark in certain lights.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to see more pictures of it anytime you want to post! How many carats is it?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you “love” it?
if it isn’t “loved” for $5,600 I’d return it and keep looking.
While I think the cut is fabulous, the tone is flat to me. I prefer a bit more vividness. And $5,600 is a hunk of money to spend before setting if it isn’t ticked all YOUR boxes.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is pricey but it doesn't look dark to me and I'm normally someone who hates dark things that look like bullet holes.

That said at that price you definitely should love it to keep it!

Do you “love” it?
if it isn’t “loved” for $5,600 I’d return it and keep looking.
While I think the cut is fabulous, the tone is flat to me. I prefer a bit more vividness. And $5,600 is a hunk of money to spend before setting if it isn’t ticked all YOUR boxes.

I like it, I don't think love it. I'm starting to think will I love any sapphire, I think its not as vivid as I thought it would be but the lighting here is not the best, no sunlight as its rainy/snowy so its hard for me to see this in all its beauty. I need to see a vivid sapphire in person and maybe that would help but unfortunately I don't have that luxury. I Don't want to send it back before being 100% certain.

It is pricey but it doesn't look dark to me and I'm normally someone who hates dark things that look like bullet holes.

That said at that price you definitely should love it to keep it!

It's not really dark, I think I imagined shining and flashes, but it may be my lighting issues

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results