shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA grading a non certified diamond?

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

i was looking at a diamond n is very interested in purchasing it but it is not gia certified. My jeweler says that he can sent it to gia n get it certified.

my question is, is this possible and does gia laser inscribe the diamond to match the cert? Thanks a lot, yr information on this matter can help me in deciding to purchase the diamond or not.

Cabochon1

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

GIA will graduate the diamond and inscribe a number in the girdle. Their evaluation will not necessarily be identical to any existing documentation that comes with the diamond. Is that what you mean?

Do not commit to buy until you know how GIA grades the diamond or there is a generous return policy....

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
GIA will grade any stone sent to them as long as it is not fake or clarity enhanced. Depending on the grading report, a diamond dossier type report will automatically have the GIA report number inscribed as it does not have an inclusion map. If the report is a diamond grading report, it will have an inclusion map, inscription will be optional as an extra fee service.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I think the lasering of the report number is an optional service but nominal...like $30ish

sounds like a good plan to me but you should not be committed to buy the stone if GIA comes up with worse specs than he was trying to sell you as.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kelpie|1312036870|2980496 said:
sounds like a good plan to me but you should not be committed to buy the stone if GIA comes up with worse specs than he was trying to sell you as.
I agree. The buyer should also not be obligated to pay the GIA fee if it comes out significantly below what's expected. A bad grading means the deal is off, the dealer keeps the stone, the dealer keeps the GIA report, the buyer keeps his/her money, and the dealer gets the bills. On the other hand, if it grades out ok, it's entirely reasonable for you to have to pay both the lab fees and the shipping to get it papered as well as the originally agreed asking price. Work out in advance the various 'what if' scenarios about what attributes you count as important and which you're willing to flex on.

Depending on where you are, be prepared for this process to take several weeks to over a month. Both GIA and shipping can be a little slow from time to time.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depending on what grade GIA grades the stone you may have negotiating power re: price. If you are serious snout this stone, have it sent out, price compare the stats of the stone using the search tool on this website and see what comparable stones are selling for.

MoonRiver

Shiny_Rock
The diamond Is a loose stone and has been graded as the following by a local lab

carat: 4.02
color: n
clarity: vs1
cut: ex
polish: vg
sym : ex
total depth: 62.5%
Table: 58%

there is a diamond plot and the comment is surface training not shown. I was really keen to get e diamond but it is not a Gia certified diamond. The dealer did say he will get it gia certified it and I said i wanted a full report plus l want a laser inscription to match.

I understand tt I will need to bargain and fix the price based on exisiting specs, but I may push e price lower if the grading is lower.

However my question is Gia grades any diamond sent to them as long as they real right?

by the way e i tried e search engine n cant find a gauge for price. Can someone advice me on the price of this diamond? Thanks a lot.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, GIA will examine pretty much any stone that someone is willing to pay them to examine. Certain kinds of reports are only available on certain kinds of stones but they're pretty good at telling you the what's up on stones they look at.

Again, make sure you decide what's important to you and what's not. In this case, changing the N color by a grade or 2 won't affect the pricing the way it would at, say, the F level but the cut grading (something your local lab didn't do at all) can be a substantial issue. It sounds like the dealer is being cooperative and it's all going well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results