shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Fluorescence: None... Can someone explain

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Binister

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

Can someone please explain to me how GIA looks at fluorescence? I have a GIA cert for my stone that lists the fluoresence as NONE. However, I took the stone to a gemologist/appraiser and she said that the stone is exhibits slight fluorescence and that she must note this on the GemPrint. She said that the GIA lists it as NONE because it does not affect the value/clarity of the stone. Is this true? Can a stone exhibit fluorescence but be listed as having NONE because the GIA folks think it has no effect on the stone?

Thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Binister. Did you use Nancy Stacy in WC? We used her too, and our GIA cert said our stone had no fluor, and she also said it had a faint fluor like yours. No big deal, faint fluor makes NO difference at all on the stone's visual effects. Med or Strong would be another thing..possibly depending on the stone. But faint is not a big deal. I wouldn't worry. Also if is Nancy, maybe she just is more sensitive to Fluor than other graders!
1.gif
Fluor is most likely graded under a light or lamp but then again, all of this grading stuff is subjective. If someone is more color conscious, they may grade the stone a slight fluor, or a H instead of a G, etc. It's all about opinions.

1.gif
Hope everything else checked out!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In GIA talk, NONE means less than their "Faint". Many labs, including mine, now use "Negligible" instread of "None" or "Inert". When the GIA says " there is little or none. There is no consequence to value. It just was a poorly chosen word that has nothing to do with dollars. It sure can confuse people and worry them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results