shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA "excellent" -- why doesn''t it "add up?"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Rod, that is the funniest thing I''ve read in a while.
9.gif
It may be exactly the case and my fiance was nodding his head the entire time he read it. Everyone thinks my diamond is gorgeous, but then again, these are people who think Zales is the best jewelery store ever and wouldn''t know an ideal cut if I threw one at them.
20.gif

I wish I had an idealscope or at least knew someone who did. That would either put my mind at ease or prove that this stone has a lot of leakage. I might have to invest in one soon.
5.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you both enjoyed it. For me, it was cathartic coming up with that bit of humor. The reason is simple. I bought my stone beleiveing I had learned a lot. Of course, I didn't know enough and I managed to buy a stone which does not have ideal proportions. It's table is 59%, it's depth is 59.8%, yet it received a 1.2 on the HCA. PS is the greatest site ever, but it is one in which the more you learn, the more you can question the "quality" of your pet rock.

There have been other posts on the commoditization of diamonds and these threads sort of lead there. Commodotization doesn't have to mean price. It can mean all sorts of things, including the commoditization of cut. If every stone had the same "ideal" proportion, shouldn't they all be stunning? My guess is no. My reason for saying that is I've now read enough and seen enough to recognize that not all "ideal" cut stones look exactly the same.

So, my belief is that as long as the stone is within tolerable parameters and you have seen the stone with your own eyes and it's got lot's of sparkle and fire (and I'm willing to wager that your stone does), then it's time to stop worrying about whether anyone else agrees our stones are great and it's time to enjoy our stones and recognize they're 99% more beautiful than just anything you're going to find in your average jewelry store.

So.........Enjoy that beautiful stone. Enjoy the knowledge your getting from this wonderful site. Enjoy the friendships your making here. And enjoy knowing that some day, you may updgrad that beautiful stone or pass it on to your son or daughter and enjoy the fact that you're passing along a spectacular piece of the earth that you had the fortunate opportunity to have temporary custonianship.

Your friend.........

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
xchick, regardless of whether the stone is an ags0 or whatever, the specs you posted are not by any means icky...if anything the pav is just a little steep but i would be really surprised if the stone is TOTALLY out of ideal. anyway i think we tend to critique our stones a little much, kind of like when people see pictures of themselves, you always think that you are not photogenic or its a bad picture etc...so i would just not worry about it and enjoy your stone!! you chose better than 95% of the buying public for sure.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, you''re all probably right. I''m just over analyzing it way too much. I think it''s just a case of buyer''s remorse combined with learning more and more everyday thanks to this site. So it might be a little steep and it may not sparkle as much as other stones, but its mine and I love it. At least now I know why it looks dark in the center at times and that its perfectly normal. Peter is still kind of concerned about it not being ideal, so he''s probably going to call our jeweler again, but I don''t really care if there''s nothing they can do. I think he''s more worried about the fact that we might''ve paid more because it was listed as ideal and we could find something better for that price, but I still think we got a really good deal and I''d be shocked if we found anything "better" at the same price. Besides, I''m happy with it.
1.gif

Thanks again everyone!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results