color
clarity

GIA examines 2 LightBox De Beers diamonds

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting short article.
https://www.diamonds.net/news/NewsItem.aspx?tc_dailyemail=1&ArticleID=63345

One reason De beers are leaders and lowest cost in the market is they have been developing this tech for decades.
They have by far the most patents and high security.
e.g.
The stones showed no sign of color treatment, unlike many other chemical vapor deposition (CVD) diamonds, the GIA reported. Most producers grow CVD layers quickly, leaving a brown color, knowing they can improve them later with High Pressure-High Temperature (HPHT), Eaton-Magaña explained. For that reason, about 75% of the CVD material in this color range that the GIA has examined to date had been through HPHT treatment following growth, she noted.

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
G colour, VG/EX cut, VVS clarity and ...cheap :mrgreen2:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA rethinks its reports

The GIA’s findings raise an issue about how it grades synthetics, with the institute revealing it’s considering changes to its system. Though Eaton-Magaña said the Lightbox stones were equivalent to G color, the GIA doesn’t currently offer such detail in its grading reports for white lab-grown diamonds, providing only loose terms ranging from colorless (the top grade) to light (the lowest). Additionally, its clarity descriptions for synthetics don’t break down VVS, VS, SI or I into any subcategories.

Plus, the name of the GIA document, “Synthetic Diamond Grading Report,” hasn’t always gone down well. Diamond Foundry, a large lab-grown producer, called on the institute to rethink its reports last year after the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) removed “synthetic” from its list of recommended descriptors for lab-grown diamonds, and edited “natural” out of its definition of diamonds.

“In the very near future, GIA will finalize and announce changes to our reports for laboratory-grown diamonds to align with the FTC guides and changes in the market,” Stephen Morisseau, the GIA’s director of corporate communications, said in a statement to Rapaport News Wednesday.

Interesting!

Looks like they will make changes to accord with the FTC ruling, even if they don't actually start grading colour and clarity 'properly'.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like the fact that there is no per carat price difference since they grow a bigger stone and it costs proportionally more to grow and polish. 2 x Ct wt - 2x$'s

2 x carat weight in natural diamonds = roughly 4 x the $$$$'s because big natural diamonds that make it to the earths surface are rare.
Other manufacturers are trying to trade off natural diamonds and to me that is opportunistic.

If this market takes off then De beers could rightly become the monopolist until their patents expire in 15 to 20 years by fairly and reasonably taking advantage of that R&D.
Patents give companies monopolist rights.

BlingADing

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for sharing. Interesting.

VDK1

Shiny_Rock
I like the fact that there is no per carat price difference since they grow a bigger stone and it costs proportionally more to grow and polish. 2 x Ct wt - 2x$'s

2 x carat weight in natural diamonds = roughly 4 x the $$$$'s because big natural diamonds that make it to the earths surface are rare.
Other manufacturers are trying to trade off natural diamonds and to me that is opportunistic.
Yes, other manufacturers are trying to trade off natural diamonds and that is opportunistic and cheating!

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
Interesting short article.
https://www.diamonds.net/news/NewsItem.aspx?tc_dailyemail=1&ArticleID=63345

One reason De beers are leaders and lowest cost in the market is they have been developing this tech for decades.
They have by far the most patents and high security.
e.g.
The stones showed no sign of color treatment, unlike many other chemical vapor deposition (CVD) diamonds, the GIA reported. Most producers grow CVD layers quickly, leaving a brown color, knowing they can improve them later with High Pressure-High Temperature (HPHT), Eaton-Magaña explained. For that reason, about 75% of the CVD material in this color range that the GIA has examined to date had been through HPHT treatment following growth, she noted.

I wonder if the pinks and blues have been treated in some way.

In any case, De Beers has exceeded many of the expectations. When lightbox was announced, many people thought the stones would be purposely poorly-cut or low quality just to sully the name of lab diamonds. Instead, the products are a great value. Why would I buy any other lab diamond at this point? I do wish they had released rings for v-day instead of pink hearts (talk about something no one was asking them for) and I wish they would crack on with making bracelets, but overall I'm impressed.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
"The smaller stone had Excellent cut, while the larger one was considered Very Good."

This seems consistent to what we have noticed. I just wish Lightbox ran a home-run with the cut, but it seems like they're deliberately sabotaging the cut to stay just off ideal to not outshine/compete with mined diamond market.

I've been on their email notification list from the launch announcement for the 1ct round stones, but I have yet to receive a single email for availability. The larger stones are perpetually "sold out."

M

Marriedbuteloped

Why would I buy any other lab diamond at this point?

I totally agree. The Lightbox price is reasonable. I would not be willing to pay more for a lab grown or even natural diamond. I had ordered the 1ct. princess cut necklace and had it reset in a ring. The jeweler that reset it said that it was a very nice MM diamond. We don't know the development in the future market and it could be that my ring will not be worth anything. But that is fine with me. At least I did not start out with $3000-4000 like other MMDs. The article confirmed my decision. Here some quick cell phone photos. Angela
IMG_6732.JPG IMG_8338.JPG IMG_8459.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8459.JPG
    IMG_8459.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_6732.JPG
    IMG_6732.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_8338.JPG
    IMG_8338.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 61
  • image.png
    image.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8338.JPG
    IMG_8338.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 73

cocotate

Rough_Rock
I totally agree. The Lightbox price is reasonable. I would not be willing to pay more for a lab grown or even natural diamond. I had ordered the 1ct. princess cut necklace and had it reset in a ring. The jeweler that reset it said that it was a very nice MM diamond. We don't know the development in the future market and it could be that my ring will not be worth anything. But that is fine with me. At least I did not start out with $3000-4000 like other MMDs. The article confirmed my decision. Here some quick cell phone photos. Angela
IMG_6732.JPG IMG_8338.JPG IMG_8459.JPG
How did you get yours? I agree it seems always sold out?

M

Marriedbuteloped

How did you get yours? I agree it seems always sold out?

I ordered mine at the beginning of December. I got an email and then immediately was able to order it. And it arrived faster than scheduled.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I had my engagement ring made with the half carat white round solitaire pendant. I ordered it on launch day planning to get the halo pendant which had a bigger center stone but it was "sold out" 20 min after launch when I got on.

I've been engaged now almost 2 months and although my ring looks beautiful close up, I think I'm wishing it were bigger. In pictures from farther away, it sometimes doesn't even look like there's a diamond, just a band. I find myself comparing it to other women with big blingy stones.

I might go to a jewelry store and try on some blingy 5 stone wedding bands before I really decide, but right now if Lightbox made a 1 carat white round stone available, I think I would buy it. Not sure what I would do with the half carat stone, maybe get another one and turn them into earrings. I thought I would feel really sentimental about the stone used in the proposal, but I don't. Probably because I picked it, not him!

I love my Lightbox diamond but it's really frustrating how withholding they've been with larger stones.

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I had my engagement ring made with the half carat white round solitaire pendant. I ordered it on launch day planning to get the halo pendant which had a bigger center stone but it was "sold out" 20 min after launch when I got on.

I've been engaged now almost 2 months and although my ring looks beautiful close up, I think I'm wishing it were bigger. In pictures from farther away, it sometimes doesn't even look like there's a diamond, just a band. I find myself comparing it to other women with big blingy stones.

I might go to a jewelry store and try on some blingy 5 stone wedding bands before I really decide, but right now if Lightbox made a 1 carat white round stone available, I think I would buy it. Not sure what I would do with the half carat stone, maybe get another one and turn them into earrings. I thought I would feel really sentimental about the stone used in the proposal, but I don't. Probably because I picked it, not him!

I love my Lightbox diamond but it's really frustrating how withholding they've been with larger stones.
I have been following your journey !! Please , don’t be hard on yourself.!! All of us have the same felling about being bigger if not doing earrings, you can also do a three stone ! It’s just a jewelry ! The more important part is to keep the same husband

M

Marriedbuteloped

All of us have the same felling about being bigger if not doing earrings, you can also do a three stone ! It’s just a jewelry ! The more important part is to keep the same husband
:)
I so agree. When I moved to the US from Europe I did not understand the obsession with diamond rings or even the practicality. All I could think of was how impractical these things are in the kitchen. But after living here for years I somehow felt I needed one too. The herd thinking and marketing got me as well. Now I have one and I don't wear it all the time. It means nothing. It was more the quest that kept me going. :) With that being said I do think that the 1ct. size is maybe the best one from lightbox to turn in a ring.
And about size, I know a woman from South Africa, she has a huge 3 ct. engagement ring and it looks like window or bottle glass....

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LOL

The classic PS-affliction of DSS didn't take long... ;)) :lol:

Perhaps you should ask your other half to design something up using only some suggested styles from you, so it can be a gift entirely from his heart to yours, and therefore more sentimental :)

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
LOL

The classic PS-affliction of DSS didn't take long... ;)) :lol:

Perhaps you should ask your other half to design something up using only some suggested styles from you, so it can be a gift entirely from his heart to yours, and therefore more sentimental :)

Lol yep, I knew it would happen. I really need to go to the jewelry store first and try on bands. It might be the perfect size to pair with a chunky 5 stone ring. I plan to wear them as a set every day after we get married so as long as it looks blingy enough together, I can deal with my solo dainty ring until wedding day.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I have been following your journey !! Please , don’t be hard on yourself.!! All of us have the same felling about being bigger if not doing earrings, you can also do a three stone ! It’s just a jewelry ! The more important part is to keep the same husband
+1 on a three stone ring.
Wait for a 1 carat stone, get another .50, and make it into a three stone sparkler ring.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
+1 on a three stone ring.
Wait for a 1 carat stone, get another .50, and make it into a three stone sparkler ring.

I wouldn't want a 3 stone as my engagement ring though. I plan to wear it with a 5 or 7 stone wedding ring and I really like the look of a simple solitaire with a blingy wedding ring. I think a 3 stone with a 5 or 7 stone would be too much?

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't want a 3 stone as my engagement ring though. I plan to wear it with a 5 or 7 stone wedding ring and I really like the look of a simple solitaire with a blingy wedding ring. I think a 3 stone with a 5 or 7 stone would be too much?
It all depends your personal taste, but @Golden_bird owns a beautiful 3 stone e-ring she upgraded recently and my own e-ring is a three stone ring.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ne-has-obstruction.245420/page-5#post-4482880

I do understand your reluctance though. I also love the elegance and sophistication of a solitaire.

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Solitaire or halo or three stone is all personal choices !! When we got engaged ,young Hahahah with not that money ,my ring also was a three stone !center diamond was 0.30 with 0.10 sides . I loved it ! Then later in life I decided to try the solitaire look ,purchased bigger diamond around 1 carat . I didn’t like the look at all .i didn’t matter how many additional bands I added ,it always looked lonely to me . Then I tried halo ! I kind of liked the look ,but you need extra time to maintain it plus I gave birth to my first daughter,putting lotion on her ,changing diapers ,wasn’t that welcoming for that ring style . And then I decided to go back to the three stone ! Easy to clean ,great presence on fingers and the diamond is not lonely =)2

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Was feeling sad about talking bad about my ring. Snapped this on my walk home today. It's really not that small! I think it's smaller in my mind than it really is. Next week I'll go try on some blingy rings and see if I feel better. I'll post pictures, not here, I'll make a separate post, already side tracked this thread enough sorry!
Happy Friday!
IMG_20190222_170948.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks great :))

M

Marriedbuteloped

IMG_8459.JPG
I'll post pictures, not here, I'll make a separate post, already side tracked this thread enough sorry!
Happy Friday!
IMG_20190222_170948.jpg
There are so many eternity and diamond wedding bands out there...I agree that that would look nice. And you can build up and stack more bands. That is what I did. Oh and I switch hands all the time. :)
We'll meet you at your new thread!
Angela

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I was comparing my Lightbox to some cz rings I have last night and noticed a definite color difference. The top 2 are cz and the bottom is Lightbox. Is that what a G color looks like next to cz? I guess all cz are different but I kind of figured that a G color diamond would look almost perfectly white, and I was surprised to see that even my untrained eye could see a difference between the cheap cz and Lightbox. The cz rings are from Amazon and were each less than $10 so definitely not high quality cz.

IMG_20190227_213109.jpg
Side note for anyone finding this picture, the bottom is .5 carat and I believe the middle is about equivalent of .75 and top is about equivalent of 1 carat. My ring size is 4.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was comparing my Lightbox to some cz rings I have last night and noticed a definite color difference. The top 2 are cz and the bottom is Lightbox. Is that what a G color looks like next to cz? I guess all cz are different but I kind of figured that a G color diamond would look almost perfectly white, and I was surprised to see that even my untrained eye could see a difference between the cheap cz and Lightbox. The cz rings are from Amazon and were each less than $10 so definitely not high quality cz.

IMG_20190227_213109.jpg
Side note for anyone finding this picture, the bottom is .5 carat and I believe the middle is about equivalent of .75 and top is about equivalent of 1 carat. My ring size is 4.
Yes, it looks like a G as best we can tell.
Take a photo from side about 30 degrees up from the horizontal - that is the best way to compare colour in a set stone

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
It all depends your personal taste, but @Golden_bird owns a beautiful 3 stone e-ring she upgraded recently and my own e-ring is a three stone ring.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ne-has-obstruction.245420/page-5#post-4482880

I do understand your reluctance though. I also love the elegance and sophistication of a solitaire.

:geek2: That’s my design!!!! I saw it on DKs IG and was hoping it went to a PSer! I don’t frequent RT or SMTB so thanks for posting this or I probably would’ve never seen it! I finalized the design but haven’t had the funds to pull the trigger. So happy someone else loves it like I do :kiss2:

I’ve got a whole thread on FFJ of my crazy journey.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-with-three-stone-dk-cads-please.243847/

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results