shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA examines 2 LightBox De Beers diamonds

Discussion in 'Laboratory-Grown Diamonds /Man-Made Diamonds (MMD)' started by Garry H (Cut Nut), Feb 11, 2019 at 6:32 PM.

1. Garry H (Cut Nut)
    Super_Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by Garry H (Cut Nut) » Feb 11, 2019 at 6:32 PM
    Interesting short article.
    https://www.diamonds.net/news/NewsItem.aspx?tc_dailyemail=1&ArticleID=63345

One reason De beers are leaders and lowest cost in the market is they have been developing this tech for decades.
    They have by far the most patents and high security.
    e.g.
    The stones showed no sign of color treatment, unlike many other chemical vapor deposition (CVD) diamonds, the GIA reported. Most producers grow CVD layers quickly, leaving a brown color, knowing they can improve them later with High Pressure-High Temperature (HPHT), Eaton-Magaña explained. For that reason, about 75% of the CVD material in this color range that the GIA has examined to date had been through HPHT treatment following growth, she noted.

2. VDK1
    Rough_Rock

by VDK1 » Feb 11, 2019 at 7:57 PM
    G colour, VG/EX cut, VVS clarity and ...cheap :mrgreen2:

Misscaliente08 likes this.
  3. OoohShiny
    Ideal_Rock

by OoohShiny » Feb 12, 2019 at 2:44 AM
    Interesting!

Looks like they will make changes to accord with the FTC ruling, even if they don't actually start grading colour and clarity 'properly'.

4. Garry H (Cut Nut)
    Super_Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by Garry H (Cut Nut) » Feb 12, 2019 at 6:27 PM
    I like the fact that there is no per carat price difference since they grow a bigger stone and it costs proportionally more to grow and polish. 2 x Ct wt - 2x$'s

2 x carat weight in natural diamonds = roughly 4 x the $$$$'s because big natural diamonds that make it to the earths surface are rare.
    Other manufacturers are trying to trade off natural diamonds and to me that is opportunistic.

If this market takes off then De beers could rightly become the monopolist until their patents expire in 15 to 20 years by fairly and reasonably taking advantage of that R&D.
    Patents give companies monopolist rights.

VDK1 likes this.
  5. BlingADing
    Shiny_Rock

by BlingADing » Feb 13, 2019 at 2:47 AM
    Thanks for sharing. Interesting.

6. VDK1
    Rough_Rock

by VDK1 » Feb 15, 2019 at 2:19 AM
    Yes, other manufacturers are trying to trade off natural diamonds and that is opportunistic and cheating!

7. vintageloves
    Shiny_Rock

by vintageloves » Feb 15, 2019 at 11:48 AM
    I wonder if the pinks and blues have been treated in some way.

In any case, De Beers has exceeded many of the expectations. When lightbox was announced, many people thought the stones would be purposely poorly-cut or low quality just to sully the name of lab diamonds. Instead, the products are a great value. Why would I buy any other lab diamond at this point? I do wish they had released rings for v-day instead of pink hearts (talk about something no one was asking them for) and I wish they would crack on with making bracelets, but overall I'm impressed.

rockhoundofficiando likes this.