shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA certificate Fraud?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Solaryellow

Rough_Rock
Can anyone tell me if Bluenile or Mondessa?,,or any other Wholesale diamond dealer has been recently investigated for GIA certificate fraud?

There''s a reason why I am asking..
You''ll love it...

Solaryellow

Rough_Rock
Ok, i'll just tell you then.,
I went back into my unfriendly neighborhood jeweler for repair work on a NON diamonds ring, and had started to nicely argue how asking $23,000 for a SI1 1.54 RB (E) Ex cut... was outrageous, they asked where I was getting prices below what they paid, and I said Bluenile and Mondessa? <<SPelling, and they immediately said, oh yeah they are being charged with GIA cert fraud..
Which I wouldn't really beleive, considering the amount of bullshit they already fed me..
I said I was insulted by them, by their prices, by their attitude..
For kicks I throw in,,"DO you have any 8 star or true H&A diamonds so I can see what they look like in person"
Repsonse, "Don't know what that is"

Do you know who Tolkowsky is?
Repsonse "That's just a trademark name"
Half right, but who is he..No answer...

How about an Ideal cut RB,,
THey said GIA no longer calls it a Ideal cut but only an excellent cut, maybe this is true, I don't know.
But for the most part, I'm still disgusted with people like this, and when I get my other NON diamond ring back from being repaired, I am never looking back at this place again..
And buying diamonds is supposed to be fun!
Just not there.

Solaryellow

Rough_Rock
Somehow a line got cut out, but right after I mentioned Mondessa or Bluenile, this jeweler claimed they were being investigated or charged with GIA cert fraud,,,
I would like to know if this is true

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Very doubtful, very doubtful indeed... Both Blue Nile & Mondera are extremely reputable companies and neither company has any reason to participate in any kind of fraudlent activity... The same goes true for every one of the internet diamond dealers participating in the discussions here on PS, none of us would risk our reputation for something as simple as a lab report... The reality is that the jeweler is merely trying to scare you into paying his high mark-up, if he can cause you to doubt the integrity of the more prominent internet diamond dealers then you are more likely to get packed by his profit margins. But since you bring up the subject of fraudlent lab reports, we'd like to let you know that it is quite easy to verify that the lab report for the diamond you are considering the purchase of on-line or from a local retailer... All you have to do is telephone the laboratory that issued the report and provide them with the lab report number and details as stated on the lab report. The lab representative will not volunteer any information, but they will happily verify any information that you provide for them... Want to have some fun? Ask the jeweler for a copy of the lab report for whatever diamond he shows you and then ask to borrow his telephone to call the laboratory that issued the report... Why? He asks... Because he brought up a very valid point, there are a few jewelers that would do such a thing as provide their clients with lab reports that are fraudlent and you should be sure that the jeweler who tried to use such scare tactics on you isn't one of them
2.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Your jeweler may have been referring to this...http://www.diamonds.net/news/newsitem.asp?num=7983&type=all&topic=all

Sounds like you really pissed 'em off with your talk, and that they would throw anything negative at you to make you feel like you were making a mistake going with an internet dealer...

perhaps you should have waited until you got back all your jewelry before upsetting them...
eek.gif
...you have to realize that they have a lot of overhead, so their prices are bound to be higher. I guess from your comments that you feel they don't add enough value to their products or service to you to justify the markup.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 6/10/2003 11:31
6.gif
9 PM DiamondExpert wrote:
Your jeweler may have been referring to this...http://www.diamonds.net/news/newsitem.asp?num=7983&type=all&topic=all

----------------
Note that the article Diamond Expert is referring to concerned fraudulent diamond grading reports which were issued for diamonds that were clarity enhanced which the GIA does not grade because the treatment is not necessarily permanent. This is certainly not a practice that Blue Nile or Mondera would participate in...

It is true that retail jewelers have more overhead than many of the internet dealers who merely republish the diamonds listed on the dealer only multiple listing services at a variety of profit margins, but there are several of us who operate traditional brick and mortar jewelry stores or offices with an overhead that is probably similar to that of the jeweler this customer was talking to and many of us offer prices which are exceptional for both the internet and a traditional retail environment... We maintain the same price structure in our store as we do on the internet, it certainly costs more to do business face-to-face, but the reality is that we just wouldn't be able to face our local customers when we run into them in the grocery store or at the movie theater if we charged them more just because they were standing in front of us...

Solaryellow

Rough_Rock
Oh yeah, that very article you mentioned this jeweler referred me too.

This is where my argument started..
They claimed all these internet sites were selling fake GIA reports, and that the GIA was investigating this.

I read the article and saw it pertained to only Clarity enhanced and only small handful and if not mistaken smaller than 1 carat I think..
He didn't care to answer..

Funny too, he was pushing nothing but clarity enhanced on me, including some $12,000 1 carat SI RB..

Must be because of the 3 stone Non diamond ring I bought, that I am getting all this hostility.

I bought my first diamond from them, and was in the market for something else, just thought I would give them some business, imagine that, me patronizing them.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Isn't it amusing that so many traditional B&M stores feel the need to push CE on their clients in order to make diamonds affordable when so many of us selling diamonds on the internet can make real diamonds affordable from the start just by working on a reasonable mark-up? Look... We don't have anything against CE diamonds provided that the person buying them truly understands that they are buying a diamond which has been treated and is partially glass, we just think that it's funny to see a one carat CE SI-1 being sold for more than any one of us here on the net would sell a better quality real diamond for
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results