shape
carat
color
clarity

gia being wrong

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

l0mp012

Rough_Rock
is the GIA ever off?i recently bought a stone that was represented as a vs1, I color brilliant cut stone with faint flouresence (1.79 carats if that matters?) when i got the ring appraised by a very distinguished and reputible appraiser (to remain nameless, but he has every designation one could want, etc...) the ring appraised as a G color, no flouresence, and vvs1. now i can understand the clarity rating, but the color and flouresence confuse me...can the gia be that off? the ring was compared to master stones and put into a machine for both color and flouresence. if the ring did have faint flouresence i could understand it grading as an I, but looking like a G...just a little confused? i had a long talk with the appraiser and asked him not to "jack up" the appraisal rating, etc. but he swore that that is what the stone really was.i paid a great price for an I, vs1 stone, but a ridiculous price for a g,vvs1 -so i am pleasantly suprised. it does not mattter all that much, just wondering why maybe the discrepency.j

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, that's a surprise indeed! GIA is considered as the most strict in grading...Has your appraiser checked the mounted or loose diamond?

l0mp012

Rough_Rock
unfortunately the stone was mounted. however it is in a platinum tiffany setting. should not skew the color that much. it would really suprise me if the appraiser was that off. i am somewhat knowledgable about diamonds and the reason i bought the stone was that it did not look anywehere near an I. however, i just chalked that up to being a good cut.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have seen GIA miss by a small amount, but not in several areas on the same diamond. I would think that the diamond being set is moving the grade around a bit. Never know whats under a prong, and color simply can't be accurate on a set diamond. You may get close, but exact would be good luck.------------------
StevL
www.demsjewelers.com
www.eightstar.com

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One must keep in mind that the system of grading we use belongs to the GIA. Since it is their system, they can defend themselves as never being wrong. They can say that outsiders have made a mistake in judgement.Truthfully, the GIA does reconsider the grading of diamonds on a regular basis and does sometimes change the grade. Rarely would any dealer request a revision to a lower grade, so the certs in circulation always represent correct or slightly high grading. If a dealer gets a "too low" grade from GIA, the cert is tossed aside in favor of some other lab's more liberal report. This is a rather common practice if the grading cannot be resolved with the GIA graders.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results