shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting two rose gold rings from different places?

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I'm working on my engagement ring upgrade and the plan is to get the same setting I had before but in rose gold. The setting is from Hayden Cudworth, and they don't do custom pieces so I will probably have to get my wedding ring somewhere else unless any of their wedding rings will work for me.

When I asked them about the makeup of their white gold before, all they could find out was ".585 gold and a mix of zinc, nickel, alloy, silver, and a small percentage of copper." I'm going to ask about the rose gold makeup before I order but assuming it will be a similar amount of info, basically just the percentage of gold and then the other mix but not exact percentages.

As long as I get the same karat rose gold, will the colors vary enough to notice if it's a different makeup, or is it not something I need to worry about?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tough one, but I've seen noticeable differences in same gold percentage bands. Can't attest to any specific vendors or if this will even bother you, but I wouldn't buy any bands without a solid and hassle free return policy

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color can look different depending on where the jeweler gets their metal. Maybe do your wedding band shopping in person after you have the new ER to make sure they match to your eye. Good luck!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Rose can be tricky if you want a perfect match. I would shop in person for bands or get it all from the same vendor.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Dang, not what I wanted to hear but what I suspected. Luckily Hayden Cudworth does have a couple options that might work for me so I'll do the try at home option when I get my new engagement ring assembled and see if I like them. Otherwise I'll either shop in person or if online, make sure there's a good return policy as suggested. I may also just go with a plat or wg wedding ring, mixed metals are in. Thanks everyone!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with PPs. I have to say it seems like all of my rose gold pieces have a slightly different hue. No one IRL would likely notice, but if it would bother you then I would purchase the two rings with the same vendor. Good luck!

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I purposefully went to the same person who made my engagement ring for my wedding band to get a perfect match the 18k rose gold. Well, imagine my surprise when my new wedding band arrived and it was ever so slightly a different shade than my engagement ring. Turns out that rose gold that's exposed to the air can change color over time - but it can be fixed with a good polish.

20181022_174837.jpg 20181022_174456.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose can be tricky if you want a perfect match. I would shop in person for bands or get it all from the same vendor.

+1

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
I have a lot of rose gold. Within the same karat range, most things are a decent match but I do have a few 14kt things that are more like an 18kt (ie. Yellower). 10 vs 14 vs 18kt are noticeably different. For rings that sit next to each other, I’d buy both from same vendor if possible

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a lot of 14k rose gold from different vendors (Benchmark, eWeddingbands, Stuller, etc). It all looks the same to me, or super close.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pure 24 K gold is always the exact same color.

What makes the color of gold alloys look different is the recipe and the exact percentage of metals in them other than the pure gold.

It seems reasonable to me that the best way to get two rings of rose gold alloy that are the same color is for what exact same alloy is for both alloys to be exactly identical in make up and process.

Seems reasonable the odds of getting that are highest when you order both pieces at the same time from the same maker.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I have some RG pieces and they look different from others I’ve seen. With that said, they all match each other (although they are not pieces that are meant to go together), and they are from different manufacturers. Unfortunately, I hate the color. I didn’t know that it can change... perhaps it explains why I despise the color they are now.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have some RG pieces and they look different from others I’ve seen. With that said, they all match each other (although they are not pieces that are meant to go together), and they are from different manufacturers. Unfortunately, I hate the color. I didn’t know that it can change... perhaps it explains why I despise the color they are now.

it's such a personal preference too...some is very pink (not my fave), some more coppery, some more peach. depends on the alloy as kenny says.

i learned the same lesson w yellow gold the hard way, my ER has a brownish yellow gold which i think is pretty but is hard to match.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! I just placed a try at home order from Hayden Cudworth so I can see a few wedding bands in person. Unfortunately of the 3 I liked, only 2 were available to try at home. I actually think one of them might work though, and then I'll know they are definitely the same alloy makeup which would be great.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results