shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting serious about Blue Nile stud upgrades

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

being in quarantine has made me stir crazy in more than one way. After thinking for a long time about upgrading my .5ct studs, I’ve decided I’m ready to do it. I only want to go up to .80 or .85 total and set in platinum martinis but I REALLY REALLY want a lot of sparkle. What do I look for? How do I do it with blue Nile?

thanks for your advice!!!!

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
What are the specs of your current studs?

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
What are the specs of your current studs?

Hi! I’m not sure exactly which specs to report back so I took pics of the reports. My problem with these earrings are that they only sparkle under direct light and they are very flat looking. It’s not even the size that really bothers me I’m not talking about huge leaps in total carat weight, though I guess being almost twice as big (.48 total to .85 total will feel much bigger)

Attachments

• 11E38E00-0F84-49FC-BB95-B99F99341366.jpeg
    11E38E00-0F84-49FC-BB95-B99F99341366.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 5FB6BFD7-D87E-4E2A-919B-75ACC4B83394.jpeg
    5FB6BFD7-D87E-4E2A-919B-75ACC4B83394.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 51116CA7-BB8A-4E70-9C1F-B99E62D43192.jpeg
    51116CA7-BB8A-4E70-9C1F-B99E62D43192.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 2DFF56FD-3295-4963-9108-D2AC990F3A2C.jpeg
    2DFF56FD-3295-4963-9108-D2AC990F3A2C.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: AV_

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Frumasring ,

How exciting to do an upgrade! I think you have to spend 2x your original stones? Correct me if it is something different. Your original
stones do not fall within the numbers we usually recommend so your upgrades should look a whole lot more sparkly. Do you want to
stay in the colorless range (DEF) and eye-clean SI1? Please let us know what 2x your original cost of stones is so we know what budget
we're working with.

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
Hi @Frumasring ,

How exciting to do an upgrade! I think you have to spend 2x your original stones? Correct me if it is something different. Your original
stones do not fall within the numbers we usually recommend so your upgrades should look a whole lot more sparkly. Do you want to
stay in the colorless range (DEF) and eye-clean SI1? Please let us know what 2x your original cost of stones is so we know what budget
we're working with.

Hi!!! Thank you so much for the help. This is where I’ve been getting very confused myself. Yes, it’s my understanding that I’ll need to spend 2x as much in order to upgrade. The originals without the cost of setting were 742.00. So, I’ve been looking at BN website on and off and see that .80ctw F, ideal, VS2 could be like 1500 without setting. The platinum settings I want are 250 because I have VERY sensitive skin. So 1750 is about my max. Can I find something beautiful in this range? What do I look for? If I am willing to go to GH do I get a better bang for buck? I think I understand I want them to be ideal cut, eye clean.
Thanks for the help!! I just want to be happy this time around!!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish you could find the pair I traded in .88 ctw E vs2 I think. They were fabulous but they must surely be gone by now.

I’m doing clear liquids this weekend for surgery on Monday, so I’m not going to look. If you dig up in my former posts and find that thread, there may have been screen shots possibly with item numbers on them? If I happen to run across the item numbers, I’ll let you know.

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
I wish you could find the pair I traded in .88 ctw E vs2 I think. They were fabulous but they must surely be gone by now.

I’m doing clear liquids this weekend for surgery on Monday, so I’m not going to look. If you dig up in my former posts and find that thread, there may have been screen shots possibly with item numbers on them? If I happen to run across the item numbers, I’ll let you know.

Thanks whitewave. Looks like you’re very active and it’s going to be hard to find your post . Wishing you all the best with your surgery!!!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks whitewave. Looks like you’re very active and it’s going to be hard to find your post . Wishing you all the best with your surgery!!!

Lol. I did try a quick search and the original post didn’t show.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey! I just found it. But looks like they are out of your price range (if they were available).

You might find the thread helpful

heretofindoutmore

Rough_Rock
New here, don't mind if i chime in :wavey:
I am so glad that it isn't just me that is thinking of upgrading my rocks during this period, so glad to have found similar minds in this amazing forum!
I do think that Blue Nile does have a lot of options, I'm also browsing them.
If you find your previous rocks looking flat, perhaps you can consider upgrading to an Ideal Cut diamond proportions?

Probably you can consider this two?

P.S. if the experts think that it is not a right recommendation, please correct me as I am still learning too!

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
New here, don't mind if i chime in :wavey:
I am so glad that it isn't just me that is thinking of upgrading my rocks during this period, so glad to have found similar minds in this amazing forum!
I do think that Blue Nile does have a lot of options, I'm also browsing them.
If you find your previous rocks looking flat, perhaps you can consider upgrading to an Ideal Cut diamond proportions?

Probably you can consider this two?

P.S. if the experts think that it is not a right recommendation, please correct me as I am still learning too!

Thank you so much!!! I’m definitely only thinking this time about upgrading to ideal cut. But the thing that is confusing me is should I be selecting based on tables, depths, etc or am I pretty guarenteed to like something that’s ideal cut, VVS1 or 2?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try looking for diamonds within these parameters if you are not going with a super ideal vendor like Whiteflash, Crafted by Infinity, or Brian Gavin. Their diamonds are already vetted for ideal light performance so it makes it easier.

Depth no more than 62%
Table 55-57
Crown angle 34 - 34.8
Pavilion angle 40.6 - 40.9

By all means come backand post anything you might consider before you buy. There are lots of folks around that can give you good advice and good luck!!

headlight

Ideal_Rock

@whitewave I wish you a speedy recovery!

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
So thank you all for the info. I’ve been in touch with a BN consultant who made some suggestions to me. He suggested going down to a G color and putting them in yellow gold(18K) and not compromising on excellent cut, polish, symmetry, depth and table ratio in order to get the pair that I’ll love within my budget. I think I’m OK with the idea of G color as in general I prefer warmer tones, but you all have had such wonderful ideas and guidance I thought I’d ask. Thanks as usual!!!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So thank you all for the info. I’ve been in touch with a BN consultant who made some suggestions to me. He suggested going down to a G color and putting them in yellow gold(18K) and not compromising on excellent cut, polish, symmetry, depth and table ratio in order to get the pair that I’ll love within my budget. I think I’m OK with the idea of G color as in general I prefer warmer tones, but you all have had such wonderful ideas and guidance I thought I’d ask. Thanks as usual!!!

I wouldn‘t consider a GIA graded G to be warm. Certainly not in the size diamonds you are considering. At that size, I’d even go GIA graded H, possibly I.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
My mom upgraded hers at blue nile about 2 years ago. Hers are .79 ctw, ideal cut, h color, vs1 and they are blinding white and prettier than my tiffany studs by far!! I agree you can go a bit lower in color, as long as you keep the cut in mind. How exciting for you! :appl:

heretofindoutmore

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much!!! I’m definitely only thinking this time about upgrading to ideal cut. But the thing that is confusing me is should I be selecting based on tables, depths, etc or am I pretty guarenteed to like something that’s ideal cut, VVS1 or 2?

No problem! I am happy that it helps!
Well, there are a few parameters to look out for, don't mind me sharing it with you:-
Table: 53% - 58%
Depth: 59% - 62%
Crown Angle: 34 - 35°
Pavilion Angle: 40.6 - 40.9°

These would pretty much help you to filter down to an Ideal cut :mrgreen2:

How about these 2?

Search criteria lowered color so as to increase clarity.

For ear studs, color tend to be less obvious so I think a drop to G color can help with obtaining better clarity.
Cutting retained as ideal range because it ultimately affects the bling factor

I'm excited for you! :lol:

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
No problem! I am happy that it helps!
Well, there are a few parameters to look out for, don't mind me sharing it with you:-
Table: 53% - 58%
Depth: 59% - 62%
Crown Angle: 34 - 35°
Pavilion Angle: 40.6 - 40.9°

These would pretty much help you to filter down to an Ideal cut :mrgreen2:

How about these 2?

Search criteria lowered color so as to increase clarity.

For ear studs, color tend to be less obvious so I think a drop to G color can help with obtaining better clarity.
Cutting retained as ideal range because it ultimately affects the bling factor

I'm excited for you! :lol:

Thanks!! It might sound like a silly question, but is the 1209 per ear or total? I didn’t think I’d have this problem but I need to spend more so I qualify for the upgrade. So a total of 1500.00 will qualify but unfortunately, 2400.00( if it’s 1209 per stud) is beyond my reach. Thank you again for all the support!!!!!!

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks!! It might sound like a silly question, but is the 1209 per ear or total? I didn’t think I’d have this problem but I need to spend more so I qualify for the upgrade. So a total of 1500.00 will qualify but unfortunately, 2400.00( if it’s 1209 per stud) is beyond my reach. Thank you again for all the support!!!!!!

Yes thats per ear and Astor ideal cuts are overpriced

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
Yes thats per ear and Astor ideal cuts are overpriced

Yikes!! I’m sure they are beyond lovely but not in the cards for me at the moment

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes!! I’m sure they are beyond lovely but not in the cards for me at the moment

The great people on this forum can definitely help you work with the budget you have

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
The great people on this forum can definitely help you work with the budget you have

I’m sure!! I’m so impressed with everyone’s knowledge and willingness to share!!! So grateful :saint::saint::saint:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Blue Nile does not care to label all the good diamonds they carry with their brand. [I may have the time today to the HCA to look for D-G/ VS-SI1 or not - curious for 'bargains']

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
Blue Nile does not care to label all the good diamonds they carry with their brand. [I may have the time today to the HCA to look for D-G/ VS-SI1 or not - curious for 'bargains']

Thank you!! So I’m not sure what HCA means? I need to stick with Blue Nile because they’ll give me the credit for my existing pair. Thanks again!!!

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you!! So I’m not sure what HCA means? I need to stick with Blue Nile because they’ll give me the credit for my existing pair. Thanks again!!!

HCA is a tool on Pricescope to reject diamonds that have proportions that don't work well together. A score of under 2 is worth considering and anything over 2 is usually rejected.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Looking for a pair for www - I want shallower angles, resulting in 'flash' type brightness, for earrings & for this size.

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
Looking for a pair for www - I want shallower angles, resulting in 'flash' type brightness, for earrings & for this size.

Can you suggest another one for the other ear

AV_

Ideal_Rock

AV_

Ideal_Rock
These are a pair methinks, cut to be spready & brighter than Ideal ie. best studs - www & www

2p

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results