shape
carat
color
clarity

getting lost in stupid stuff

4ever|1314566871|3003824 said:
Mrs Sterling - I really love your hair trial! Gorgeous! I am looking forward to seeing how the veil looks from the front!

I haven't really done anything else, I have assigned a friend of mine who is a photoshop/illustrator genius to try and rip off some invites I like. No news yet. I do really need to haul a$$ on this because we are fast approaching the 6month point and I need to get those STD's out - but then I do want to put our website address on the STD and I've kinda given up on THAT massive mission.

Also, I am addicted to Pintrest. Pintrest is amazing. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!

We have both picked bands we like but not purchased them yet because I feel like it's a little early yet?I'm thinking I might get them in November/December because I feel like my boss will give us a better deal on them if they have a bit more money rolling in ;))

I've been thinking more about writing the ceremony as well. FI says he doesn't want to write his own vows, he'd rather use standard ones or make up something on the spot so it is exactly what he's feeling at the time. I was a little disappointed at first but that's fine, he should do what he wants to. Also I'm not really an openly emotional person and I probably would feel uncomfortable sharing my feeling for FI so openly in front of so many people (hence why I wanted a really tiny wedding- Sigh).

What are you all doing re-vows? Writing your own or using the stock standard ones?

Thanks! I can't wait to see how it all comes together.

For your vows question, I wrote our entire ceremony, with the help of the internet. We are getting married in a park (in 31 DAYS BTW!!!) and not using any reference to scripture or any particular religion at all. I combined elements of examples from ceremonies that I liked along with a couple touches I wanted thrown in. It's not going to be us saying our own vows that we wrote separately from each other - we will each say the same thing. I just decided what it is that we would say. I did give FI the chance to look everything over, and he only had one revision, and that was it! Maybe you could do something similar since he doesn't want to make up his own vows?

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
YOOOO HOOOO!! What's going on ladies?

Our save the dates will go in the mail tomorrow. Yesterday we finished registering. I spent at least 20 minutes picking towels. I felt so ridiculous deciding between two different brands and two different colors. FI was so adorably funny while we were shopping. He kept putting the towels up to his cheek to check for "softness." He's such a goob!

I'm meeting with a florist on Wednesday, I'm hoping she works out! We are also taking a second set of engagement pictures that evening, I hope they turn out well. My hair has seen better days, but oh well.

So, what have you all been crossing off your lists??

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, my first silly stuff post!

OUPeargirl, can't wait to see your second e-pics! I liked the feel of your first set a lot!

We're stuck in a weird plateau point here. I've been pretty sick, so wedding planning kind of ended up on the side. But! My mom is talking to the hotels to get hotel blocks, because they won't return my calls (annoying), and to do the first pass at caterers, so I can then interview them and look at menus. I really, really appreciate her helping right now! And oh my god, Kleinfeld's this week with my aunt!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a little excited. A little. Perhaps.

We haven't registered for towels yet because FI wants to feel each and read about each one. Seriously. I'm going to take OUPeargirl's tack and think of it as cute!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Novel|1318297441|3037424 said:

OUPeargirl, can't wait to see your second e-pics! I liked the feel of your first set a lot!

We're stuck in a weird plateau point here. I've been pretty sick, so wedding planning kind of ended up on the side. But! My mom is talking to the hotels to get hotel blocks, because they won't return my calls (annoying), and to do the first pass at caterers, so I can then interview them and look at menus. I really, really appreciate her helping right now! And oh my god, Kleinfeld's this week with my aunt!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a little excited. A little. Perhaps.

We haven't registered for towels yet because FI wants to feel each and read about each one. Seriously. I'm going to take OUPeargirl's tack and think of it as cute!

Haha! Who knew towels could be such an important decision??

You get to go to Kleinfelds?! Nice! Have you tried on dresses before? I hope you start a thread on here with pictures!

I don't know that I remember all of the details of your wedding... I can't keep everyone straight. What kind of wedding are you planning?

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
OUpeargirl|1318297894|3037433 said:

You get to go to Kleinfelds?! Nice! Have you tried on dresses before? I hope you start a thread on here with pictures!

I don't know that I remember all of the details of your wedding... I can't keep everyone straight. What kind of wedding are you planning?

I know, towels! He's like that about everything... we got a Crate and Barrel spice rack as an engagement present and he's all annoyed that we didn't read reviews first, because a couple of the bottles don't seal well!

I get to go! I can't wait. I live in NYC and have been to five salons either in the City, at my mom's house, or by my FI's parents' house. I haven't found anything perfect, though there have been a couple I really like that had some issues or my mom didn't like it or blah blah blah. I should make a thread, it's been pretty funny, actually. We're planning an evening backyard Jewish wedding - backyard is somewhat misleading, as my aunt's home basically has "grounds". But outdoor, not too formal, homespun elegance type thing.

I'll start a thread. Don't have anything better to do while I'm at work right now!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Novel|1318358303|3037884 said:
OUpeargirl|1318297894|3037433 said:

I know, towels! He's like that about everything... we got a Crate and Barrel spice rack as an engagement present and he's all annoyed that we didn't read reviews first, because a couple of the bottles don't seal well!

I get to go! I can't wait. I live in NYC and have been to five salons either in the City, at my mom's house, or by my FI's parents' house. I haven't found anything perfect, though there have been a couple I really like that had some issues or my mom didn't like it or blah blah blah. I should make a thread, it's been pretty funny, actually. We're planning an evening backyard Jewish wedding - backyard is somewhat misleading, as my aunt's home basically has "grounds". But outdoor, not too formal, homespun elegance type thing.

I'll start a thread. Don't have anything better to do while I'm at work right now!

Ohh, that sounds really pretty. I looooove the dress you chose! It will be perfect for what you're planning!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ok I haven't checked in for a while but thought I would update on our progress!

Wedding is May 27 and we sent out the save the dates about 2 weeks ago :)

today we met with the florist and it was so exciting!!! I think we came up with some beautiful ideas...I am getting excited about the flowers now :)

tomorrow we are meeting with our officiant to go over our wedding ceremony!

bridesmaids are shopping for their dresses and those should be ordered by Nov 30th

anyway sorry for the SLG47-centric post, it feels nice to type out what we have actually done

plus I am super frustrated after trying to set up my mom's wireless router for the last 45 mins (it worked after 5 mins but then when she wanted me to change the name it did not work...)

we are thinking of having the groomsmen wear long ties in the same fabric as the bridesmaid dresses...I found someone on Etsy that can make them...what do you guys think of this idea?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Novel, OU, and slg, I'll be lurking around here to see how your wedding planning goes! I know I loved putting my own personal touches in with the little (and big!) things!

Novel, for some reason every time I try to post in your dress thread PS crashes...so I'll just tell you here: HOW STUNNING! It's SUCH a beautiful dress, it looks FABULOUS on you, and it will be PERFECT for the wedding you're planning.

I'm LOLing at your men and towels.

slg...our groomsmen wore long ties, and I prefer that look to bowties unless the wedding is SUPER formal. What color are your maids wearing? We ordered the groomsmen ties and my DH's reception tie from rabbitstop on etsy and they were amazing quality and the colors of the ties shown were very true-to-life. (Just as an option because ordering enough extra fabric to match the BM dresses to make ties might be cost-prohibitive.)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ooh vc thanks for the link! I also prefer long ties...the wedding isn't super formal and I don't really like the matching vest look when it is a bright color. our color is a teal color which will be hard to match, but the ties with the ordered fabric will only be $30 each which I thought was reasonable! ($30 for 1 yard of fabric which makes 3 ties, and $20 per tie to make it)

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
vc10um|1318685483|3040873 said:
Novel, OU, and slg, I'll be lurking around here to see how your wedding planning goes! I know I loved putting my own personal touches in with the little (and big!) things!

Novel, for some reason every time I try to post in your dress thread PS crashes...so I'll just tell you here: HOW STUNNING! It's SUCH a beautiful dress, it looks FABULOUS on you, and it will be PERFECT for the wedding you're planning.

I'm LOLing at your men and towels.

slg...our groomsmen wore long ties, and I prefer that look to bowties unless the wedding is SUPER formal. What color are your maids wearing? We ordered the groomsmen ties and my DH's reception tie from rabbitstop on etsy and they were amazing quality and the colors of the ties shown were very true-to-life. (Just as an option because ordering enough extra fabric to match the BM dresses to make ties might be cost-prohibitive.)

Thanks, vc10um! I'm having some crashing issues with PS, too, but appreciate the kind words!! I can't believe I found something I love, that fits, and feels right at home in our wedding ideas, in our price range!!

slg, I agree about the long ties. I think bow ties, unless done in a sort of ironic way without a jacket or vest and with suspenders, looks super formal.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I love long ties, too! I mean, I'm going with bow ties, but our guys are wearing ivory dinner jackets.. And that looks much better, and more retro with a bow tie.

As for me....
Yesterday was exactly 6 months from our wedding day. FI had flowers sent up to work with a sweet little note. Swoon! I can't wait to marry him! Today our parents are loading up a U-Haul and moving some furniture into his place. I'm looking forward to showing my mom around the town we'll be living, and getting my parent's old dining room set. Not to mention my mom has never been on a military base or seen the kind of plane FI flys.

I met with a florist this week who had some great ideas. We'll be doing some bougainvellia (I know I mispelled that) in the church, and on some tables. Then she may do some gardenia topiaries! All of our flowers for the reception will be in different silver urns and vases. Some tables will also have mint julep cups with flowers. Yay! She totally got the look I was going for! I'm so excited.

FI and his parents checked out a few places for the rehearsal dinner. They have some really nice options, and I am just trying to stay out of it. It's their party to throw, so I'll be happy wherever they do it.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
slg47|1318687087|3040897 said:
ooh vc thanks for the link! I also prefer long ties...the wedding isn't super formal and I don't really like the matching vest look when it is a bright color. our color is a teal color which will be hard to match, but the ties with the ordered fabric will only be $30 each which I thought was reasonable! ($30 for 1 yard of fabric which makes 3 ties, and $20 per tie to make it)

Oh that sounds perfectly reasonable! Oh, and DH loved his tie and his brother's ties so much that I think I'm going to order him a few from that etsy shop for his birthday. His tie collection is rather sad (I think quite a few hand-me-downs from his father) and so I'd love to inject a bit more color!

OU, your FI is freaking adorable. Less than 6 months to go! Yippee! And I'm glad you're getting your flower arrangements in julep cups! I LOVED that idea ever since you came up with it! And I'm jealous that your FI and his parents are actually taking charge of the RD. My ILs just gave me a $$ amount and said "just tell us where and when to be there." :roll:

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
[quote="vc10um|1318793877|
OU, your FI is freaking adorable. Less than 6 months to go! Yippee! And I'm glad you're getting your flower arrangements in julep cups! I LOVED that idea ever since you came up with it! And I'm jealous that your FI and his parents are actually taking charge of the RD. My ILs just gave me a $$ amount and said "just tell us where and when to be there." :roll:[/quote]

I'm not sure which of these I'd prefer... we're doing our RD at my aunt's house/yard (probably in the same tents the wedding will be in!), as a catered bbq and then welcome party for anyone who comes up there the night before the wedding (her home is about 2 hours from the city we live in), but my FI's parents are sponsoring the RD, so it's a little bit weird.

Oh man, flowers in julep cups! So cute!

The only cute design stuff we've come up with so far is a possible diy dyed light to dark shades of blue ombre backdrop if we do a faux-to-booth and wax paper lanterns with pressed ferns in them as centerpieces or part of the centerpieces. I'm not so crafty, but my little sister/MOH is, so it should be fun.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Although we are not registing for gifts, I quite like the idea of walking round choosing all the stuff for your life together (reminds me of every hollywood wedding movie I've ever seen- as long as you get zappers, just wring it down wouldn't be the same). However, FI can not choose antyhing without reasurching it for hours to ensure he absolutely picked the right one :rolleyes: I would go flipping insane if he did that for a whole houses worth of things.

As for me, I'm still on the big stuff, not the little stuff at the moment. I kind of had that dress issue (I bought one and now I hate it) and then ran out of steam. Plus works been very stressful lately so I've not really had much energy for wedding stuff. I'm just getting back on track now and have an appointment on Monday with a dressmaker to see what she can do. I'm still not 100% sure what I want. My MOH and Mum have different taste to me and each other so theres not really anyone I can talk through my ideas with.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
OU, flowers just because, 6 mos. before the wedding? No wonder you want to marry this guy! How sweet.

We visited venues last weekend and fell in love with one. We decided we were ready to book, so we made an appointment to go back on Saturday morning. Well, my Saturday ended up being pretty awful with the very sudden, totally unexpectedly loss of a pet who was only 6 months old and thought to be healthy. She had a minor wound and had been prescribed antibiotics and a topical solution for cleaning the wound, she was otherwise acting fine. I picked her up on Saturday morning to clean the wound as the vet had instructed me, she got nervous and freaked out, which was nothing unusual, I held her close to reassure her as I always did, and then she just went limp in my arms. They think she had a stroke or something, no one really knows. She was just there one second and gone the next. It was horrible. So I spent most of Saturday crying hysterically, totally in shock. When we got back from the vet's office, FI called the venue to say we would not be able to make our scheduled appointment. I thanked him. Then about an hour later, I decided I wanted to go after all, to have something to take my mind off of everything. I asked FI to call back and see if we could come in a littler later. He did, and they said they were booked all afternoon. FI told me this, and I (still somewhat hysterical) said "do they want our money or don't they? Just tell them we want to make a deposit, I'm sure they'll find some time for us!" So I made my poor FI call them back one more time (he's so good to me, seriously), and sure enough, they said we could come in at closing time and they'd stay in a little later for us. FI was a little upset that we'd tipped our hand and now had no negotiating power, but everything went great!

We had decided on a Friday wedding, because we couldn't meet the 175 person minimum required for Saturday. We'd confirmed with our families and wedding party that Friday would be okay, and we were set to book. We told the consultant this, and he immediately offered to give us the Friday minimum on Saturday. We weren't expecting this, so we looked at each other, confused, and said "I don't know, what do you think?" We were legitimately just confused and stressed, but I think he thought we were really good negotiators or something, because he then threw in that we could have the Friday price on Saturday, too. He had already given us the Viennese hour for free, and extra hot dish for the cocktail hour, half price for the ceremony, and offered that children, though half price, would still count toward our minimum. In all, he knocked over $5000 off the normal Saturday price (and these were already the off-season rates to start with, in high wedding season this would have cost almost $10K more!). We asked about menu substitutions, access for people with disabilities, kid-friendly and vegan food options, and changing the layout of the dining room, and he was totally accommodating about every little thing. Everything we talked about went right into the contract in writing. It could not have gone better. FI even mentioned that we wanted to bring our parents to the restaurant to see the place and he gave us a $100 gift certificate on the spot. Amazing. We signed and put down our deposit. Could not be happier. The venue just oozes Old World elegance. We have this beautiful atrium for the cocktail hour that will stay open all evening, all glass and wrought iron arches, fully heated for a winter wedding, overlooking the grounds which will be all decorated for Christmas. The food is award-winning, the prices include just about everything imaginable, and the consultant we worked with will be our wedding coordinator right up until our wedding day.

Sorry for such a long post. This weekend was definitely all about emotional extremes, but I'm glad we ended on a happier note, and now we have something concrete to look forward to.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
oh blacksand I am so sorry to hear about your pet :( i can't even imagine...**hugs**

but that is great news about your venue! how awesome that they gave you the friday price for saturday :) your venue sounds gorgeous :)

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh Blacksand, I'm so sorry! Poor little fur baby, I can't imagine.

Congrats on picking the venue! It sounds wonderful, and way to go on the negotiating!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry about your pet BlackSand.

However, sounds like your venue negotiations went amazingly! Do you have any pictures of the venue?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
question...what are you having fathers/grandfathers wear? will they match the groomsmen or just wear their own formal attire? I was thinking of having pocket squares made for them (but not ties...groomsmen will have ties and no pocket squares?)

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
blacksand, I'm so sorry to hear about your furbaby. ;( How shocking and sad!
But I am so glad that you got your wonderful venue for an amazing deal! Congratulations!

slg, we didn't worry about fathers and grandfathers in terms of attire. We just made sure they had boutonnieres. In the end, DH was the only man at the entire wedding with a pocket square.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
slg47|1319061478|3043757 said:
question...what are you having fathers/grandfathers wear? will they match the groomsmen or just wear their own formal attire? I was thinking of having pocket squares made for them (but not ties...groomsmen will have ties and no pocket squares?)

I'm trying to figure this out now. FI and his groomsmen will be doing the whole ivory dinner jacket thing, which I'm super excited about.. But I don't know what to put the dad's in. I've told them they can wear what they want. I'm OK with them wearing the same thing if they'd like to, but I'm also totally OK if they'd rather do something else. I just can't decide if they choose to wear something else if they should wear a tux or a suit..?

Will your fathers have boutonnieres?

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your kind thoughts. I miss her, and I'm having an especially hard time because it's really not socially acceptable to grieve over a guinea pig. People understand if it's a dog or cat, but a guinea pig? They just tell me to buy a new one for $20. Well, this girl was a rescue and had come from horrible conditions, we worked really hard to get her healthy and to finally get her to trust people. We really bonded and I felt like she was finally going to settle in and was working on getting her to bond with other pigs so she wouldn't have to live alone. She had serious trust issues, but there was so much promise for her, she just needed a little time. She had moved into a divided cage where she could socialize with some other girls but couldn't get in to fights with them, and she was making a lot of progress. She was also gaining weight and generally seemed healthy and much less stressed. Then Thursday I found a lump under her chin. Abscesses are common in guinea pigs, especially under the chin. No big deal. You have to drain them, keep them clean, and give them antibiotics. I feel so horrible because I didn't even stay with her at the vet. I had a busy day at work so i just dropped her off in the morning and picked her up in the evening. She was scared, but she seemed fine. Abscess was removed, just needed to keep her clean and give her some meds. and she should be better in a few days. Everything seemed fine, and then she just collapsed and died in my arms. We still don't really know what happened. She was only maybe 9 mos. old and had so much promise. I just feel horrible she never got to live in a big cage with other pigs, and that she probably died terrified of me because I had just forced her to take medicine and was now holding her over the sink. After all the work we did getting her to trust people, she died terrified of me.

Anyway, sorry, let's talk happy wedding stuff. It's my escape at the moment. Unfortunately my wedding is over a year away, so that's not really socially acceptable, either, but I say eff it, I'm planning now. 4ever, this is my venue:

Dining room look out into the atrium, where the cocktail hour will be held

The atrium. I love it.

This is the view from the atrium (well, seen from above, but this is right outside the large window). Unfortunately, I imagine the fountains will be shut off in December, but the grounds will be decorated for Christmas and all lit up. I can't wait to see it!

I actually love the dark wood and burgundy velvet in the dining room, but I had planned a Wedgwood blue and white wedding. Oops. I haven't decided yet whether I'll change it or just say eff it and do whatever I feel like doing (leaning toward the latter at the moment; don't especially care if we clash!).

Thanks for providing an outlet, I really needed one today.

Manor atrium.jpg

Manor fountain.jpg

Manor Imperial Room.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl|1319119665|3044135 said:
slg47|1319061478|3043757 said:

I'm trying to figure this out now. FI and his groomsmen will be doing the whole ivory dinner jacket thing, which I'm super excited about.. But I don't know what to put the dad's in. I've told them they can wear what they want. I'm OK with them wearing the same thing if they'd like to, but I'm also totally OK if they'd rather do something else. I just can't decide if they choose to wear something else if they should wear a tux or a suit..?

Will your fathers have boutonnieres?

yes, fathers and grandfathers will have boutonnieres.

blacksand...I love your venue. and you have a right to feel however you want to about any pet. you can certainly be as close to a guinea pig as you can be with a dog or a cat.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks slg. I wish everyone felt the same way, but sadly I work with a bunch of jerks.

I never even thought about outfits for fathers/grandfather, nor for mothers, for that matter. Always just figured they'd wear whatever they felt like and maybe I'd get little boutonnieres/corsages. Maybe I should be giving more thought to these things.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
yeah, the mothers are wearing outfits of their choosing but I was just wondering if we should have pocket squares or something for the dads? they will have boutonnieres though...haha this is why this thread is called getting lost in stupid stuff!!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, blacksand, your venue is stunning! I'm so glad you got a deal there that you could work with!

And so sorry about your guinea pig. A pet is a pet, I don't know why that would be any different from loving another kind of animal!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Blacksand, it isn't silly you were upset about the loss of a guinea pig.. And your venue is STUNNING!!

SLG, are your groom/groomsmen wearing black tuxes? I think if they wear dark suits or tuxes they will look great. In a composite photo it may looks funky if they were silver or khaki.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
OU yes they are wearing black tuxes. The plan (for now) is for the groom to wear an ivory tie, and the groomsmen to wear ties in the same fabric as the bridesmaids dresses. If we do pocket squares in the same fabric also I guess I worry that it would be too much?? I will ask my stepdad (well really my moms ex but thats another story) what he wants to wear and see what he thinks!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Blacksand, you venue looks A-Frickin-MAZING! I love love love the outdoor area in particular. I can so imagine this decorated for Christmas.
I said "wow" out loud so FI wanted to see what I was looking at, he said "that looks very expensive". I think he means that in a good way. :lol:
I'm sorry again about your pet as well, and even more sorry that you work with jerks who don't get it.

We're not going to bother coordinating parents outfits, we're just going to let them wear what they like. FI's dad has already ordered his suit with like navy blue I think and my Dad hasn't got anything yet. I do like the idea of matching/co ordinated pocket squares but I think bace they'll probably have different coloured suits from each other and the bridal party I'm not sure what would look good with both AND link into the bridal party colours. We'll do matching button holes. Both out mums have their dresses sorted and most of their accessories.

How many options are you all giving people for drinks? Open bar or consumption?
Our venue is a Vineyard so I'm thinking we'll give people the choice of two different white wines, a nice red, bubbles, jugs of lightly alcoholic lemonade and any juices etc and maybe a couple of different beers? I don't know how many beer option people will expect. Do you think this is enough? We will be paying by consumption. I don't really want to do spirits or cocktails because I don't want everyone getting wasted and I think spirits will cost more.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
blacksand, your venue is STUNNING! Congrats on snagging it for such an awesome deal!

FutureGirl...for our bar, we also paid by consumption. DH's family are not big drinkers so we didn't want to pick up an open bar tab for EVERYONE when only a small handful of people would even be consuming. Our bar had I think 7 different bottled beers (including 2 local brews), 4 different wines, and sodas. Iced tea, water, and coffee were poured by the waitstaff. That seemed to be plenty for everyone. DH and I had a bottle of champagne provided by the venue to go with our cake cutting as well, but we didn't provide for everyone because we didn't want it to go to waste!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results