shape
carat
color
clarity

getting lost in stupid stuff

Oooh, VC, sultry pose! I love it! oh, and...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :appl:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
just popping in to say - YEAH VC!!! You look so beautiful in that picture...I CANNOT WAIT to see the pro shots!!!

Grlsbestfrnd

Brilliant_Rock
VC, you look gorgeous! I know you're so relieved to be done with all the stress and just be MARRIED!!!

So far I'm feeling like the most stressful part was getting started. At first i was freaked out!

SO and I have finally settled on a venue and date and we sign the contract next Thrusday!! Our wedding date will be 05/26/2012, YAY! That's one HUGE thing checked off my to-do list. So far to date we have the photographer (another BIG to-do), the venue, and the day of coordinator. Getting some of these big deal things out of the way are really bringing down my stress level and it's making planning fun.

The next thing on my list is finding a caterer. Can I get some "find the perfect caterer within my budget" dust? :lol:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I'm getting married in 20 hours!!!

:errrr:

*faints away*

Grlsbestfrnd

Brilliant_Rock
Yay Rosetta!! Your day will be perfect I'm sure. I can't wait to see pics!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
rosetta|1309545141|2960075 said:
I'm getting married in 20 hours!!!

*faints away*
YEAH!!!! Enjoy this last day and have a wonderful wedding!

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
Best wishes, Rosetta! And don't forget: we want to see pictures!!! :D

Rosetta - I hope your day is magical! Enjoy it!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
OMG! Finding accommodation for the long weekend of the wedding is driving me bad SH*T crazy!

Finding something for DF and I after the wedding - piece of cake.

Finding something for the rest of the family (all staying different lengths of time) for a decent price is driving me IN-Fing-SAIN!

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
I just want to vent for a second - I totally regret my dress choice and I'm only two weeks away from leaving. :(sad

The consultant I purchased from said it wouldn't be a problem to alter the dress from a size 8, but I guess she underestimated how much all that work would change the appearance. My dress is a mess and I wish I would have just gotten a simple strapless. This stinks, big time.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
calibali|1310155054|2964926 said:
I just want to vent for a second - I totally regret my dress choice and I'm only two weeks away from leaving. :(sad

The consultant I purchased from said it wouldn't be a problem to alter the dress from a size 8, but I guess she underestimated how much all that work would change the appearance. My dress is a mess and I wish I would have just gotten a simple strapless. This stinks, big time.
Oh no. :(( I totally understand what you mean on feeling disappointed with your dress.

Questions - are they entirely done with the alterations yet? Like, did they say "this is all we can do"? If not, it may end up working out okay. And if not, is there another alterations place you can try? My dress was jacked up, and on the Tuesday before the wedding, I found another place that helped fix some of the problems.

And finally...is it such that you want to change your dress? Nordstrom has some great options that I think would be beautiful at your stunning Bora Bora location. This has long been one of my favorite dresses/

::hugs::

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the support sillyberry! Today was supposed to be my final fitting since the dress needs to be sent out to be cleaned and pressed. However, the lady is going to do some more work on it this weekend and then it's going to be gone until 3 days before I leave. I *hope* that most of the major problems will be fixed, but I won't know until right before I leave. She said some small changes could still be made when I pick it up, but the dress is in such a state that not much can be done at this point.

Ugh, that's the kind of dress I should have bought to begin with! I just can't get another one since I've already thrown $500 into these alterations, plus I'm too tall for most off the rack dresses (I'm 6'1 and this dress was the only one that was ever long enough).

The lady even admitted today that this was an insane amount of alterations and that the dress looks totally different (not in a good way). All I could think was awesome, wish someone would have told me that before I bought it! Lesson to all: Don't buy a dress 3 sizes too big!

Did you think about how unhappy you were with your dress on your wedding day? Or were the fixes good enough for you to forget about the problems?

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Another thing to remember is that a good pressing can make a lot of difference in how a dress looks. It's like it erases some of the awkwardness caused by alterations, if that makes sense. But it is incredibly frustrating that no one gave you a clear picture that alterations would change the "bones" of your dress. With some dresses, three sizes probably wouldn't be a huge deal, but I went back to look at your dress and I can see why such dramatic alterations would be problematic.

As for me, I really didn't think much about the dress problems on my wedding day, and in fact I felt crazy beautiful. But when I look at photos, I'm a little sad it didn't fit the way I wanted it to fit (and thus I think is less flattering in pictures than the sample dress I tried on). But I also know I'm the only one who can say "but it was supposed to be tighter under the bust!" since I think from someone else's perspective, the dress probably looked just like it was supposed to look.

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
SB - From the pictures you posted here, your dress looks gorgeous! I would have never noticed anything was wrong. This just gives me hope that I'm focusing too much on the problems and not looking at the bigger picture.

For now, I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed that everything will work out. The wedding will be great either way, so I think I'll survive a wonky dress if that's what I get. Thank you for listening! 8)

4ever

Ideal_Rock
What do you guys think of this dress? It's advertised online and is a sample from a bridal salon which has closed down. Originally about $1895 for $580 (NZ). It's pretty much exactly my size, it's "Champagne" coloured, so a flattering colour for me, I do what some kind of sleeve or strap (but these are removable so I could do a bolero or something instead or have some little capped sleeves made if I can find a fabric match), I'm very hourglass shaped so need something fitted through the bust, waist and hips but NOT the thighs (dear god not the thighs!). It also has a significant chiffon train and pearl buttons and zip closure which I do like, despite originally not wanting a train. However, I'm a bit nervous about not having tried any other dresses on yet and about where the lace ends making me look hippy. Im not expecting great fabric for the price but attractive low cost wedding gowns are really hard to come by in NZ, everything really nice is SO EXPENSIVE!

I hoping this is it, it looks perfect on and I can snap it up before anyone else does! Opinions?

angeligue-bd.jpg

173972938_full.jpg

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks beautiful in the pictures 4ever!

I think at that price, if it were me, I'd buy the dress and decide later. If you decide you don't like it you can try to sell it (or maybe just use the fabric in some DIY projects if it came to it)

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
cb, I'm sending you a ton of alterations ~*~*~DUST~*~*~

FutureGirl, if you can try it on, do, and THEN decide. If not, if it retails for that high normally and it's in good shape, you can probably sell it for what you paid for it with no trouble at all...there's bound to be another NZ bride in the same boat!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys. I AM tempted to just get it and then sell it if it's not right but selling it might be a real pain in the ass and their is no guarantee that I will be able to sell it AND that's $580 less deposit I have free if I find another dress. And then there is that little suspicious part of my wondering why no one else has bought it in previous samples sales at her salon.

So I'm going to go try it on. It's only about 30mins drive from me but it will be over an hour for my mum quite late a night and it will just be at her house since her salon has closed down so maybe i should have just bought it....

Oh well, we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

If this doesn't work out, I am feeling a little better about spending more money on the dress. I had a little break down last night which helped me figure out that I'm so anti spending money on the dress because it makes me feel really selfish.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I tried on 5 dresses - two were way to small, two were nice but very V neck and showed a bit much boobage to be decent and the Last one (Pictured above)......I bought! Yay!

It was a perfect fit and I felt like a pretty princess in it :praise: , and I'm not a foofy pretty princess kind of girl :bigsmile: I also only paid $520 for it ;))

She's just stitching up a little bit on the zip where the threads have come loose before I pick up up next week. I do feel a little bad that my best friend missed out on wedding dress shopping (I went with my mum, I didn't REALLY expect to buy anything so I didn't want to turn it into a big mission buy trying to find a time MOH could come too) so I'm going to have to find a way to break it to her gently. Posting "I just bought my wedding dress!" on Facebook might not be the best approach....

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
4ever|1310550899|2967904 said:
Ok, I tried on 5 dresses - two were way to small, two were nice but very V neck and showed a bit much boobage to be decent and the Last one (Pictured above)......I bought! Yay!

It was a perfect fit and I felt like a pretty princess in it :praise: , and I'm not a foofy pretty princess kind of girl :bigsmile: I also only paid $520 for it ;))

She's just stitching up a little bit on the zip where the threads have come loose before I pick up up next week. I do feel a little bad that my best friend missed out on wedding dress shopping (I went with my mum, I didn't REALLY expect to buy anything so I didn't want to turn it into a big mission buy trying to find a time MOH could come too) so I'm going to have to find a way to break it to her gently. Posting "I just bought my wedding dress!" on Facebook might not be the best approach....

YAY FUTURE GIRL!!! :appl: I really do love that dress, and I'm sure you look just SMASHING in it!

As for your MOH, just let her know it was an opportunity that you couldn't pass up, but you would love for her to come over and see you in the dress so you can plan out things like accessories and shoes, and then let her know that, if she can, you would love it if she would go with you to alterations to learn how to do your bustle.

calibali, I hope things are going well for you and your dress!

FMS, any news? Grandpa still doing well?

VC - thanks so much for asking about Grandpa. He is still doing well and went to Holy Hill (my grandparents are very Catholic) this past Sunday to give thanks for his health. The Archbishop for our area was there this weekend, so he got to hear him speak as well. Good for the spirits, at the very least!

Tomorrow we are going shopping for our wedding bands. This past week or so I have been a busy little wedding bee. I have been epitomizing the name of this thread and spending ungodly amounts of time on ebay and etsy looking for decor for my space, which, while is has great bones, needs a personal touch for sure. I bought this on etsy, which I will set at the bar and write down all the varieties of wine we will be serving:

chalkboard tray.jpg

calibali

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for everyone for all the support. We're leaving tomorrow for our trip and I couldn't be more excited!

I picked up my dress today and I am pretty happy about where it ended up. It's not what I imagined it would look like, but it looks sooooo much better than it did a week and a half ago. The seamstress definitely worked some kind of miracle for me. Now I'm just worried about carrying it around all these airports because that baby is surprisingly heavy!

Yay for wedding! :bigsmile:

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
calibali|1311298048|2974222 said:
I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for everyone for all the support. We're leaving tomorrow for our trip and I couldn't be more excited!

I picked up my dress today and I am pretty happy about where it ended up. It's not what I imagined it would look like, but it looks sooooo much better than it did a week and a half ago. The seamstress definitely worked some kind of miracle for me. Now I'm just worried about carrying it around all these airports because that baby is surprisingly heavy!

Great news, CB!!! Can't wait to see photos!!! Safe travels and best wedding wishes to you and your FI!!!

FMS, glad to hear your grandpa is still doing well. Please share your wedding bands! And I LOVE that chalkboard tray! So classy but personal!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
calibali|1311298048|2974222 said:

Whew! So glad you are pleased with your dress. I hope you enjoy every minute!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I've gone to the deep end. Not only have I been collecting vintage card table linens to go under my centerpieces... I've now decided that I must start collecting tea cups and saucers.

Maybe I need to get off pinterest when things are slow at work! Ack!

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl|1311804096|2978304 said:
I've gone to the deep end. Not only have I been collecting vintage card table linens to go under my centerpieces... I've now decided that I must start collecting tea cups and saucers.

LOL, OU! At least it's Pinterest and not etsy taking up your time! At least Pinterest is FREE! :bigsmile:

I love the idea of vintage linens! What's the rest of your theme/colours/etc like? SPILL, girlie! I'm on wedding hangover still and I need some new inspiration for a friend's wedding that I'll be helping plan as soon as the proposal happens next month!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
vc10um|1311819740|2978534 said:
OUpeargirl|1311804096|2978304 said:

LOL, OU! At least it's Pinterest and not etsy taking up your time! At least Pinterest is FREE! :bigsmile:

I love the idea of vintage linens! What's the rest of your theme/colours/etc like? SPILL, girlie! I'm on wedding hangover still and I need some new inspiration for a friend's wedding that I'll be helping plan as soon as the proposal happens next month!

After a few hours, I realized having teacups with flowers coming out of the top is adorable-- for a shower. Since a wedding is about both a girl AND a boy, I think I realized yesterday that it's not OK to go overboard on the girly girl.

Theme is old fashioned and southern (like me!) Groom and groomsmen in ivory dinner jackets, vintage linens on the tables, lots of jazz music (during dinner, before we get to dancing), and a medium tone blue, medium tone green, and pink. Pink will only be present in the flowers. I'm thinking some of our tables may have mint julip cups with flowers in them, and topiaries.

Open to any ideas! I'd love to serve a retro cocktail, my favorite is the Moscow Mule. It may end up costing too much to do a signature cocktail. It doubles the bar bill... How does that make any sense?

When do you think your friends wedding will be? How is he proposing?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Teacups with flower IS perfect for a shower! I love classy showers with tea and finger sandwiches and whatnot! (I AM a little biased, though, since it's what was thrown for me!)

And I LOVE your theme/scheme/etc. It'll be perfectly you, OU! Especially the julep cups for the florals! LOVE! And I hear you've given Claritek her newest project!!! :love: As for the signature drink, does it double your bar cost because it's the only liquor you're adding?

I have no clue yet when the wedding will be, but he should be getting the ring next week and I doubt it'll be long before he pops the question. It will be bittersweet, though...her father just passed away after a long battle with illness just a few days after he made a secret trip to ask for her hand. ;(

If I had to make a guess, I'd venture to say the wedding will be in the spring...which means we'll have to be on the ball with looking for a venue, ESPECIALLY in DC!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Haha thank you! I'm excited and it's all starting to come together rather nicely. Also, I can't believe I mispelled julep haha. That's what I get for posting on PS before I've had my coffee. I was floored when Claritek told me she wanted to make me one! I know it's going to be so stinkin' pretty. She did a fabulous job with yours. I'm ready for her to open up her etsy shop so I can send all of my friends to her.

MAN, I love pretty, feminine showers. If anyone asks me what kind of shower I want (not that they should, just if they do) I want to have everyone wear hats! Bahah I'm such a weirdo. I really need an excuse to buy a pillbox.

How sweet that he made it in time to talk to your friends' dad! I'm sure she will appreciate that he made that effort.

I love DC, I hope she can find a venue in time for the wedding she wants. Good thing she has a friend that's pretty talented in the wedding planning arena! I like to dream that if I were super wealthy I could have my reception at the Willard.. Sigh.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
OUpeargirl|1311890278|2979265 said:
I was floored when Claritek told me she wanted to make me one! I know it's going to be so stinkin' pretty. She did a fabulous job with yours. I'm ready for her to open up her etsy shop so I can send all of my friends to her.

I am HONORED to make this for you!! Can't wait to get started. I am hoping I can get a few more of the pieces together this weekend since I know I'm going to be going to some craft stores and into the city where I will have more options for bridal quality fabrics!

Oh and thank you for the additional ideas for products for the shop!

Can we fast forward to April so we can all see how your wedding turns out!? I am so stoked to see it all come together.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results