shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting laser engraving or gemprint

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ukstipe

Rough_Rock
Hi
I am wondering if anyone out there can shed some light on getting laser engraving on a diamond. Does this process reduce the value of the diamond? I don''t want to put our initials on the diamond or anything; only an ID number. I have heard about Gemprint - an ID number is laser engraved or something like that and the unique ID number is stored in a database. Insurance companies like this. Since I am based in the UK, is this prevalent over here?
Cheers
Brad

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gemprint leaves no mark on the stone although it is performed with a laser created image. Laser inscription, on the other hand, does engrave the girdle of the diamond with the numbers/letters of your choice. Neither has a negative effect on value. Both cost about the same.

You cannot re-identify a Gemprinted diamond yourself. You need equipment. A laser inscribed diamond can be re-identified with a jeweler's loupe immediately. For that reason alone, I prefer laser inscription.

I don't know what the situation on Gemprinting is in the UK. In the USA some insurance companies discount insurance on Gemprinted pieces. This may be done where you are, but I am not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results