shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting ears (re)pierced as an adult

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
Who has done this?
I've had my ears pierced 3 times. The first time I was 6. Second time, after neglecting the holes and they closed up, I was 13. A year later I got second holes in each ear against my mother's wishes.

I haven't worn earrings in either set of holes for almost 20 years. Seeing so many pretty earrings really makes me wish I had piercings. I am really considering getting them redone.

Has anyone else done this as an adult? I'm 40 years old and part of me thinks I'm being silly.

Where does one go these days to get ear piercings? I don't think they have kiosks at the malls anymore. Do you go to tattoo/piercing places?

Tell me I'm not the only adult who can't wear earrings but wants to!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my first at 16 and #2 and #3 in my 40’s. Sometimes I wear 1 on each side, sometimes 3. At 61 I wonder if I look goofy at my age with three. They were all done at Claires at the mall. We now have a stand alone Claires in our downtown. I’m guessing a tattoo shop? With Covid I’m wearing earrings but no rings so I would miss my earrings if they were not pierced.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I got all my piercings (except recent nose piercing) at department stores, using piercing guns. However, however, that was because I was young, and didn't know about professional piercing studios. I took my 16 year old to get her helix piercing at a professional piercing studio a few months ago, and realized how great it was compared to using a piercing gun (done by a teen at the mall) that I was hooked. Went back to the piercing studio a couple months later to get her second holes pierced on each lobe and my nose pierced (47 yo). You are never too old to get new piercings! That is my motto.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You might want to go to a piercing shop. If you are going to repierce over existing healed holes. The gun that places like claires use is fine, but may come out wonky. Someone guiding the neddle precisely can do it so the sit straight.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally did, in my early 40s. Twice during my teen years but those infected and closed up. Then I was desperate to wear studs and tried again in my early 40s and this time wore only platinum studs and used a sterile sea salt spray that helped me heal up well. I wore platinum earrings for about 4 years and then now I can wear white gold without any allergic reaction. I’ll link my thread when I can. Go for it if you want. I’m glad I did. Good luck!

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I would recommend going to a professional piercing place. They have more experience in piercing and likely sanitation compared to other places. It was also once explained to me that using the piercing gun is like shoving a sharp pencil through a sheet of paper to make a hole - edges are jagged, it's not precise, and not clean cut. Compared to a piercing needle which is more like using a hole puncher for a clean piercing.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Go to a professional piercing salon please. I had a few holes in my 20200206_185854.jpg lobes done as a young adult by piercing guns at malls, but they cannot compare with the hygiene and professionalism of pros. I'm 54 and had my cartilage done 5 months ago :)

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I was reading about old piercing holes and they might not have to repierce at all. They holes may have narrowed and they can widen them again :)

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go to a professional piercing salon please. I had a few holes in my 20200206_185854.jpg lobes done as a young adult by piercing guns at malls, but they cannot compare with the hygiene and professionalism of pros. I'm 54 and had my cartilage done 5 months ago :)

I just LOVE your piercings!! Gorgeous!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful! :love:

Ladygrey

Shiny_Rock
I'm also 40 and thinking hard about this! I've never had pierced ears and it feels like a weirdly big deal. I have crazy sensitive skin and would probably need to go the platinum route, at least to start. @LLJsmom, I'd love to hear more about your journey if you get a chance.

Keep us posted on what you decide!

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone.

So, for those who had them hand pierced, did you bring your own earrings to wear after or did you purchase something they had? I'd prefer to be able to bring them but don't know of thats a thing one does.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is mostly it. Hope it helps.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

They are looking so good! Do you think they're fully healed now?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
They are looking so good! Do you think they're fully healed now?

Thanks!!! No, it is taking forever it seems. I feel like in the past month, they've finally turned the corner for the better, but they are very very delicate. I can honestly say I think it will take a year for them to be fully healed. I'm still cleaning them carefully morning and evening, it's been quite the commitment!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really miss my neck dermal piercing but now with 2 kids under 2 I don’t think its a good idea to have redone lol

Get whatever piercing you want because life is too short to even worry about age or what others think

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone.

So, for those who had them hand pierced, did you bring your own earrings to wear after or did you purchase something they had? I'd prefer to be able to bring them but don't know of thats a thing one does.

I'm not sure about that to be honest, but my sense was no, initially you go with their earrings as they have a medical grade titanium post that makes healing easier. I suspect (altho not positive) that they'll suggest you switch to your own once the holes have healed sufficiently.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results