shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting a Stone Recut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ktrain1

Rough_Rock
I have recently had an old diamond ring appraised and the the appraiser said the stone appeared to be D in color but an I1 in clarity because of chip on the side of the stone. The stone is a .8CT. She said it would most likey become a VS2 if it was recut. Does anyone how much it would cost to recut the stone. Or anywhere it can be done? Also does it make sense to have it recut? Thanks

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It will cost about a minimum of $200 to have the stone fully recut. Depending on the size of the chip we might "repair" cut just that zone and save a lot of weight and size for much less money. Possibly under $100 even. It depends if you need or want to make a fully modern, well cut diamond or just wish to keep as large a nearly round stone as possible.

There are many ways to approach these issues.

You need to agree that NO ONE will accept responsibility for damage or breakage to a diamond when it is being recut. It is on the owner of the stone and done solely at their risk. Few break, but every once in a while a diamond falls apart in recutting. I had only one in 33 years, but it was rather costly. At least, it belonged to me, so no one else was angry.

If you want protection, you might find a retail store willing to tackle the job for more like $300 to $600 dollars and be willing to accept the risk. I am not sure you can do this, but you need to consider what you are paying for and what can be promised.

Ktrain1

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input. Two last questions. The diamond is marquise cut. Will that impact the recutting. Also the stone is about 50 years old. Will the age make it more likely to break? Thanks in advance.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A marquise is more costly to recut and less likely to be able to be simply repaired. They are more fragile in general and one needs to keep the stone rather symmetric or it will look ugly. Up the estimate $50 on my end and $50 to $100 more for a regular store.

Age plays no part in durability. Diamond is nearly timeless.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results