shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting a non-certified diamond certified... how, and how much $$$

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

crowmama

Shiny_Rock
My wonderful husband proposed to me a few years ago with a beautiful pear solitaire diamond. I simply love it, and wouldn''t trade it for the world. When he purchased it, it was not a certified diamond, and has only the jeweler''s written appraisal. I''m not so certain I trust this jeweler, and the comments on the appraisal are practically worthless, particularly the comment of "eye clean" versus a rating on a clarity scale of vvs1-si2.

This is a .93 ct.pear diamond, I''d say the color is somewhere in the H range (I''m comparing it to charts and to my two little certified eBay diamonds, one is GIA VS1 color E, and the other EGL SI1 color N), and I''d bet it''s probably an VS2-SI1.

Is a written appraisal enough for insurance purposes? Or, to stand the test of time, should I add some value protection for it with a cert from GIA, AGL, or EGL.

Thanks for any advise...

Lynn

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
----------
Is a written appraisal enough for insurance purposes?
----------

Not the one he gave you. You need a good appraisal, with a complete description of the diamond, performed by a gemologist. That will work for insurance.

Certificates (diamond grading reports issued by major gem laboratories) are nice to have for high quality stones, but a bit pricey. You may or may not decide that this would be worth pursuing. The gemologist could help you decide.

A cert alone is not enough for insurance, as it doesn't list a value for the stone.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hi Lynn,

Certificates prices are very different. GIA is quite pricey, and since your stone is 0.93 you can choose a full certificate or a dossier, which is a small report that doesn't have a plot, but has a laser inscription service. EGL is much less expensive (about one half of GIA's prices) and you can choose between a lot of services, which include full or mini cert, consultation, appraisal (done by UGS, an EGL affiliate) and much more. If you choose EGL, it's a good idea to send your stone to EGL LA and not NY. You might want to call each lab to ask fees, services, turn around time, etc... All you have to do is to write a letter enclosed with the diamond, telling the service you need, your address and telephone number and the way of payment you prefer.
Hope that helps.

Giangi

crowmama

Shiny_Rock
Giangi and Rich--

Thanks for both your comments. It's clear to me that a *good* appraisal indicating market value, and a lab cert to outline the specs, might both be what I'll do. I'm not going to be buried with the ring on my finger, so whoever I pass it down to will have some helpful documentation.

As it is, for my other two diamonds, I have *both* certs and valued appraisals. Now I know that these already have the right documentation.

Again, thanks!

--Lynn

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Dear Lynn,

You're more than welcome!!! If you want a fast turn around, use EGL... About one week. Last time I called GIA they had a turn around time of 3 weeks! Argh!! One more thing... GIA doesn't grade set stones, while EGL does...
Hope taht helps.

Giangi

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results