shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting a diamond GIA graded - advice please

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I have an ungraded marquise, purported to be in the 1.2 ct range, that I need to sell since Covid has shut down my industry for the foreseeable future, and I have been furloughed until at least next spring. I know having a GIA cert will make it easier to sell. Would anyone who has been through this process be able to share some details on how to go about it? I have the benefit of being in NYC, but I'm not sure who I can take the ring to to unmount the stone. I honestly just don't know where to start. Thanks for any guidance!! And apologies if this isn't the correct place for this question.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Can you make an appointment with a trusted jeweler who will unmount the stone for you? My guess is, there will be a charge for the service. I've looked at the gia website and they have the info on sending your diamond to them for grading. It is a very reasonable price. Best of luck to you!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
If you go onto the GIA website, it will tell you everything you need to know about sending it in for grading. You need to find a competent and trustworthy jeweler to remove the diamond from its mounting to send to GIA for grading.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
If you go onto the GIA website, it will tell you everything you need to know about sending it in for grading. You need to find a competent and trustworthy jeweler to remove the diamond from its mounting to send to GIA for grading.

Finding a jeweler is my first hurdle. I don't have one, and don't know who to trust to work on a marquise, which I understand can be somewhat more delicate.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Talk to friends, do some research. Is it in an intricate setting that would make it more difficult to remove?

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Talk to friends, do some research. Is it in an intricate setting that would make it more difficult to remove?

No, luckily it's a super basic 6 prong setting.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would advise you to post a thread in preloved forum and pics of it. We can all give you a ball park figure of a fair preloved price before you invest in cert. bc the cert and shipping and insurance and setting and mounting it back could add up—maybe 400 to 500 bucks. If there is not a huge demand on your stone, you might just save the time, effort and cost of certifying it and discount it that amount. Can you post a pic here now?

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
20200926_094320.jpg 00000IMG_00000_BURST20191211234835619_COVER.jpg
@nala I was planning to sell the stone loose, as the setting is not in the best condition. These aren't especially good photos, as it's rather overcast here now.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Since your in NY meet with a dealer on 47th street to have it removed from the setting then walk it down to GIA.
There are a couple of great 47th street dealers who post here.
That way you avoid the sharks.
I can not name names but the consumers here can

WrinklyBulldogs

Rough_Rock
I can wholeheartedly recommend Yekutiel at ID Jewelry. He is my jeweler and was recommended to me by a highly regarded appraiser here in NYC. Additionally he is known on this board to be a trusted and knowledgeable vendor. His number is 212-921-9372.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20200926_094320.jpg 00000IMG_00000_BURST20191211234835619_COVER.jpg
@nala I was planning to sell the stone loose, as the setting is not in the best condition. These aren't especially good photos, as it's rather overcast here now.

Post these in preloved forum and you will get some good suggestions.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
right facing the same issue
first please if that is your real name use report concern to ask admin to change your name on the forum.
Then make a new thread with the a request for recommendations in your general area without being super precise on location.
For example just the city/state.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Finding a jeweler is my first hurdle. I don't have one, and don't know who to trust to work on a marquise, which I understand can be somewhat more delicate.
either of the above recommended places can do it with little chance of damage.
In some cases since you dont care about the setting snipping the prongs can make it safer. Discuss it with whoever you pick.

edit: just as fyi discloser I worked for dbl listed above for a time.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I appreciate that recommendation, @Karl_K!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results