shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting a Chrysoberyl ring made at a jeweler

helen0rz

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I'm getting married next year and I'm currently working with a local jeweler on getting a custom piece done as a wedding ring. I've been reading about gems all day, looking at different options available that's within my price range, and learning about the hardness/durability through various sites and combing through threads here. I've decided that a pale soft lemonade color/pale light mint green chrysoberyl is the gemstone that fits my need in terms of durability and hardness (thanks to all the threads that mentioned it) and I am now looking at places to get it.

Here's what I want to know: it looks like you can get a better price if you were to get the loose gemstone on your own (especially after looking at the vendor picture thread), however, I'm a bit concerned about buying it without the proper knowledge of weights/sizes/purity/the mms, etc etc etc that my jeweler has (who has a two man studio, he specialize in gems/diamonds while his work partner does the actual ring making). What would be your suggestion on me acquiring my stone? If it's better to get it myself, how do I go about understanding what I'm actually looking at? I did try to look up and understand that "eye clean"/VS is what I should look at or up, Chrysoberyl is a Type 1, and that's really it.

I feel like I don't know where to start.

Can anyone please give me a hand on this?

edit: also, not really understanding the cut aside from how it looks at the end is also something else I'm struggling with.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well first congratulations!

Colored stones aren't quite like diamonds. In my mind,it's not so much about getting a set parameter of ctw, cut, clarity. It's about finding the type of stone you like in the color you want, the shape you want, in the size you want.

If you haven't yet go read the pinned thread about buying gemstones 101. It'll help explain some basic things you want to know about gem shopping.

Also we are always here to help. I love chrysoberyl and would be happy to look for some and explain why I think it's a good option of not. What are you trying to accomplish with your ring? What color exactly? Size? What's your price range? Chrysoberyl can be found in the colors your after in all sorts of sizes for relatively inexpensive so it's nice you shouldn't have to compromise on much

helen0rz

Rough_Rock
Niel|1463172928|4031409 said:

Colored stones aren't quite like diamonds. In my mind,it's not so much about getting a set parameter of ctw, cut, clarity. It's about finding the type of stone you like in the color you want, the shape you want, in the size you want.

If you haven't yet go read the pinned thread about buying gemstones 101. It'll help explain some basic things you want to know about gem shopping.

Also we are always here to help. I love chrysoberyl and would be happy to look for some and explain why I think it's a good option of not. What are you trying to accomplish with your ring? What color exactly? Size? What's your price range? Chrysoberyl can be found in the colors your after in all sorts of sizes for relatively inexpensive so it's nice you shouldn't have to compromise on much

Thank you! And yes I did read the 101, and actually made notes (because otherwise I'm just going to forget), but it's all very overwhelming and then I confuse myself in the process; for instance, I don't understand the drastic price difference that I see at all.

and I really appreciate the offer for help! I'm looking to create a vintage inspired ring that's in the style of Art Deco/Edwardian, where I will only have a single stone with some filigree done on the side/around and the top half of shaft. There will be no accent stones or diamons around it. I have not decided on the white or yellow gold, but I'm leaning towards white. The Chrysoberyl that I'm looking/hoping to find will be under $300 (is this realistic? I've seen them in that price and I don't know why some are WAY more but about the same carat) ranging between 1-2 carat, ideally 2. Color wise, I'm hoping for a REALLY pale yellow, think lemonade, that pale. If that's a no go, I'm ok with a REALLY pale mint green that I've seen on here as well, but yellow would be my first choice.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
helen0rz|1463174635|4031428 said:

Thank you! And yes I did read the 101, and actually made notes (because otherwise I'm just going to forget), but it's all very overwhelming and then I confuse myself in the process; for instance, I don't understand the drastic price difference that I see at all.

and I really appreciate the offer for help! I'm looking to create a vintage inspired ring that's in the style of Art Deco/Edwardian, where I will only have a single stone with some filigree done on the side/around and the top half of shaft. There will be no accent stones or diamons around it. I have not decided on the white or yellow gold, but I'm leaning towards white. The Chrysoberyl that I'm looking/hoping to find will be under $300 (is this realistic? I've seen them in that price and I don't know why some are WAY more but about the same carat) ranging between 1-2 carat, ideally 2. Color wise, I'm hoping for a REALLY pale yellow, think lemonade, that pale. If that's a no go, I'm ok with a REALLY pale mint green that I've seen on here as well, but yellow would be my first choice.

Mint green is an expensive chrysoberyl. You won't find that for your budget. However, I think you can get a light yellow for that budget. The other option is a lime green.

Do you have a shape you're after? Cushion? Round? Don't care?

I think white metal is a good idea. Gold can bring out green in chrysoberyl, so if you want lemonade- whites a good idea.

Price can be set by the size, color, and the cutter. A precision cutter will often charge more for his services than not.

helen0rz

Rough_Rock
Niel|1463175024|4031431 said:
helen0rz|1463174635|4031428 said:

Mint green is an expensive chrysoberyl. You won't find that for your budget. However, I think you can get a light yellow for that budget. The other option is a lime green.

Do you have a shape you're after? Cushion? Round? Don't care?

I think white metal is a good idea. Gold can bring out green in chrysoberyl, so if you want lemonade- whites a good idea.

woot! yellow it is! the cuts that I find myself liking are asscher, cushion, round, radiant, and emerald. I'm mostly interested in round (because if round I think it can sit in hexagon and will look good, or even just sits round and let the filigree do the work)/asscher/cushion. The radiant/Emerald are more secondary to me.

Edit: am I right in thinking that getting my own stone will be cheaper than going through my jeweler who may have access to wholesale prices on gems?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes in my opinion, it's typically more cost effective to find your own stone first. But you want to see if they'll charge you for setting a stone.

helen0rz

Rough_Rock
yes they will, and I think it ranges from $50-$100 depending on the stone (the way he describe it to me is that diamonds are easy because it's harder, so anything softer will be higher because of the delicacy involved), so I'm already aware of the cost and I think I pay that regardless of whether I get the stone through him.

helen0rz

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I just requested for more pictures in different lighting so that I can see and compare the colors. Have you ever order from this site before?

userangl28212003

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1463177471|4031454 said:
Here's one that might be nice. Not a round but a nice shape, nice size, they describe it as lemony

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=4937
I actually just bought that exact one from Africa Gems and its coming tomorrow was gonna make a thread once I had it in hand. That is strange do these places work together?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
userangl28212003|1463181963|4031480 said:
Niel|1463177471|4031454 said:
Here's one that might be nice. Not a round but a nice shape, nice size, they describe it as lemony

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=4937
I actually just bought that exact one from Africa Gems and its coming tomorrow. That is strange do these places work together?

Yeah like I said it's a wholesaler that has that stone so lots of vendors have access to the same inventory. I know it doesn't update instantly so that's probably why it's still there. Sorry op. I still really like that round anyways and seems to be the shape you're after

helen0rz

Rough_Rock
Ahhhhh it's ok, it wasn't meant to be. Is light yellow chrysoberyl hard to find in the price range I'm looking at?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
helen0rz|1463184670|4031491 said:
Ahhhhh it's ok, it wasn't meant to be. Is light yellow chrysoberyl hard to find in the price range I'm looking at?

It's a little more difficult to find one without green to it, yes. But not expensive just a little harder to find.

helen0rz

Rough_Rock
honestly I think the color I'm looking for, I don't mind a little green in it, since I want is super pale in color. I think colorless is not cheap so that's not a route I can go with, but would a near colorless (just a little hue?) be hard to find/expensive? Or rather, is that a thing?

Super light colors like these

https://www.etsy.com/listing/266940...6a3a9facf9ac&gclid=CI-s3drF2MwCFVc1aQodMsUJ_g

http://www.kymlanderjewelry.com/photo_2007530.html

But I think these are that way because of how the the rings are shot in the studio lighting? I'm ok with the yellow too, but I figured I might as well ask. Thank you again by the way!

helen0rz

Rough_Rock
Oh man I LOVE the price, but I followed your advise and emailed gem trader. Hopefully they'll be able to look into it for me

helen0rz

Rough_Rock
Niel, quick questions, is oval/tear shape typical for Chrysoberyl? I keep see them while going through the vendor lists. Also, is Multicolour a good site to get stuff from? Not that whether they're legitimate (I'm sure they are since you linked them), but that are they true to color based on their description? And I keep seeing Tourmaline everywhere, but isn't that durability not as good as Chrysoberyl?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sadly again I can't say I've personally purchased from multicolour but I wouldn't hesitate. Hopefully someone else can vouch for them. I have seen people buy from them her ein the past with success but again I just can't say how accurate their pics are.

Yes chrysoberyl, sapphire, and spinel are the stones generally considered safe for everyday wear.

Sapphire's come near colorless but usually with blue tints, spinel can be near colorless but has a grey/lavender tint to them. Chrysoberyl will be the cheapest one near colorless with a yellow undertone.

You see pear/oval shapes often because because cutters are trying to get the most from the rough, usually the shapes they result in is just a function of trying to get the most weight

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do either of these appeal to you? Or too greenish?

11951123_10207851848722546_6917525647142401015_n.jpg 11227607_10207855165325459_3701558949183982046_n.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might have a lead on something you'll be interested in. I emailed this vendor and he sent photos back on some VERY affordable chrysos in the color you're after but again this was over a year ago I don't know if he still has them. I emailed him about something else and those so I'll let you know if he still has them.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gary at finewater is who I was thinking of. He said this is out for review so it isn't sold yet but may be. Worth emailing him to have him notify you if it is returned.

0585.jpg

helen0rz

Rough_Rock
lovedogs|1463244051|4031676 said:
Do either of these appeal to you? Or too greenish?

11951123_10207851848722546_6917525647142401015_n.jpg 11227607_10207855165325459_3701558949183982046_n.jpg

Just a bit. I lean more towards yellow but I see the all the pale ones (like the link included below) I like tend to have a little bit of this grey because it's so pale in color, but not colorless, but thank you though!

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-2130678219

helen0rz

Rough_Rock
Niel|1463251608|4031697 said:
Gary at finewater is who I was thinking of. He said this is out for review so it isn't sold yet but may be. Worth emailing him to have him notify you if it is returned.

Oh dear god I love this. What does it mean if it's out for review?! I was on Firewatergem earlier today and I didn't even see this posted (I guess it's not posted or otherwise you wouldn't have to contact him) I will contact him now!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
helen0rz|1463252982|4031703 said:

Oh dear god I love this. What does it mean if it's out for review?! I was on Firewatergem earlier today and I didn't even see this posted (I guess it's not posted or otherwise you wouldn't have to contact him) I will contact him now!

"out for review" means that someone got it and is looking at it in person before deciding on it 100%. So it wouldn't be on the website because the person who is looking at it gets to choose whether or not they want to keep it. But crossing my fingers that there is something else like that out there for you (or the person who purchased changes their mind)

helen0rz

Rough_Rock
lovedogs|1463253265|4031706 said:

"out for review" means that someone got it and is looking at it in person before deciding on it 100%. So it wouldn't be on the website because the person who is looking at it gets to choose whether or not they want to keep it. But crossing my fingers that there is something else like that out there for you (or the person who purchased changes their mind)

I know this is a terrible thing to say, but right now I'm hoping that person doesn't like it so that I can get a chance at it. :pray:

CaraMish

Shiny_Rock
helen0rz|1463254111|4031709 said:
lovedogs|1463253265|4031706 said:

I know this is a terrible thing to say, but right now I'm hoping that person doesn't like it so that I can get a chance at it. :pray:

That's a gorgeous gem! If the stone stays sold, you could ask the gemcutter if he has any more chrysoberyl rough he could cut for you.

helen0rz

Rough_Rock
Hi!

Just want to update that I was able to get the Chrysoberyl to review and as of yesterday I bought it! It's not exactly true to picture in terms of color because it's more green than it is yellow, but that didn't really bother me as it was just more green leaning and there's a small color shift depending on the lighting source/indoor or outdoor. Its a yellowish green so I think that was going to be hard to probably capture. It's the cut I want, the size I want, and very much at the price point that's well within my price range. I just wanna say thank to those that helped, especially you Niel! This wouldn't have happened without you! Much appreciated it!

Edit: here are some pics: 3 of them were taken outside, then indoor under more yellowish lighting.
image_779.jpg image_780.jpg image_781.jpg image_782.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well that was a win, how are you going to set it?

helen0rz

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1463670633|4033540 said:
Well that was a win, how are you going to set it?

Good question! I'm going to set an appointment with my jeweler and we're going to talk about that. I love Art Deco/Edwardian filigree look because it's very dainty and timeless. I don't know much about setting so I'll be working with him and basically have him design something that fits me need and want (he's really awesome, my first appt with him consisted about us just chatting AND him educating me on rings and whatnot while being very upfront about what he likes and doesn't like and the whole "it's really up to you at the end of the day here's x and y and the inherent risk if you do z). This chrysoberyl will be my only stone so I guess we have to be creative. I want white gold to go with this so, so that much I know!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results