shape
carat
color
clarity

Genuine black opal?

Fern Gully

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I recently purchased online what was described as a ‘Vintage 1980’s Black Opal ring set in sterling silver with 925 stamp and makers mark.‘ The makers mark is unreadable in the pictures but I instantly loved the stone and it was a great price point, so I bought it anyway. It is currently making its way to me in the post and hopefully once received I will be able to make out the makers mark. 391D7707-FC4D-452E-87A3-13EE50E996CD.png

In the meantime, I would love to know your opinions regarding whether the opal appears E9A0A3DA-C0B3-4C02-82E0-4E084F333F82.png genuine? I have very limited knowledge about opals, and this is my first opal purchase. From some online research, in my opinion it certainly has the appearance of a real, solid opal. But then again, I could easily be wrong.

Please let me know what you think! Thanks :)

0E4BE086-DBA6-46D6-B1A0-200BF7E4B016.png 6186353E-3B8B-4200-9D5B-F3F3EB870B7C.png E9A0A3DA-C0B3-4C02-82E0-4E084F333F82.png 46F84080-2343-410E-BBD6-BB845E3282F7.png 5A9262B7-236E-4482-985B-9D05BEFBA246.png A17A51FB-6CF3-4043-98B9-E4DC18FB0BC0.png FCEA87DE-74F9-4B9B-87FE-06242B0BCE6D.png 391D7707-FC4D-452E-87A3-13EE50E996CD.png

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm. This ring looks kinda fishy to me.
Something is definitely weird about this opal. It almost seems like some sort of composite. And why don't they show a clear shot of the 925 mark? Also, the prongs look mangled.
Maybe it will turn out to be sterling, and I am all wrong.
I hope you didn't pay too much!

Fern Gully

Rough_Rock
Hmmmm. This ring looks kinda fishy to me.
Something is definitely weird about this opal. It almost seems like some sort of composite. And why don't they show a clear shot of the 925 mark? Also, the prongs look mangled.
Maybe it will turn out to be sterling, and I am all wrong.
I hope you didn't pay too much!

Hi,

Thanks so much for your feedback! There is a faint 925 marking visible in one of the pics (I've attached a close up photo) and the seller did acknowledge it was a badly applied stamp.

I certainly agree with you that something seems unusual about it, but I haven't been able to find any synthetics that look similar.

For those reasons I definitely didn't pay much for it, so I won't be disappointed if it isn't genuine.

il_fullxfull.2185746077_al3t.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Thanks so much for your feedback! There is a faint 925 marking visible in one of the pics (I've attached a close up photo) and the seller did acknowledge it was a badly applied stamp.

I certainly agree with you that something seems unusual about it, but I haven't been able to find any synthetics that look similar.

For those reasons I definitely didn't pay much for it, so I won't be disappointed if it isn't genuine.

il_fullxfull.2185746077_al3t.jpg

Buying jewelry online is sometimes a gamble! I hope it turns out to be genuine!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope it turns out to be genuine too
the 80's were a great fun time for jewlery and there is somethings about that ring that i love
plesse post hand shots when it arrives
Best of luck

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The prongs need to be fixed for certain. Hope it turns out to be real.

DK :))

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s natural opal. I think someone has put the opal into that ring setting even though it’s not a correct fit. It’s not deep enough.
When you get the ring carefully check using your fingernail on the edge to see if it “wiggles” in the setting. If it does, don’t wear it. Being a silver mount, it’s probably not worth $ wise fixing / re tipping the prongs. I’d get a new setting.
excellent shopping!

Fern Gully

Rough_Rock
I think it’s natural opal. I think someone has put the opal into that ring setting even though it’s not a correct fit. It’s not deep enough.
When you get the ring carefully check using your fingernail on the edge to see if it “wiggles” in the setting. If it does, don’t wear it. Being a silver mount, it’s probably not worth $ wise fixing / re tipping the prongs. I’d get a new setting.
excellent shopping!

Thanks very much for your feedback! I thought that it may need re-setting, so your advice is very helpful. Considering what I paid for it (less than $150 US), if it is genuine it would be worthwhile to re-set!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It looks like a genuine, solid Opal to my eye. There's some clouds of black potch in the face that give that away.

I think I might know what people are seeing wrong but can't put their finger on it and it relates to the cut, but I'm not sure if I am allowed to say what it is since I am trade :shhh:

Fern Gully

Rough_Rock
It looks like a genuine, solid Opal to my eye. There's some clouds of black potch in the face that give that away.

I think I might know what people are seeing wrong but can't put their finger on it and it relates to the cut, but I'm not sure if I am allowed to say what it is since I am trade :shhh:

I’m very curious now about your opinion on the cut. I’d love to know more if you’re able to say!

I’m thrilled to hear two knowledgable opinions that it is genuine. :D

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’m very curious now about your opinion on the cut. I’d love to know more if you’re able to say!

I’m thrilled to hear two knowledgable opinions that it is genuine. :D

As I mentioned, I am a bit limited with what I can say. However I think I can say that if your plan is to recover the stone for a different project, I reckon a re-cut would do this stone absolute wonders for it's aesthetics.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree, it’s looks like a real opal but just needs a repolish desperately!!!

pammbw

Rough_Rock
Beautiful opal! I can definitely see the potential. Would love to see what you do with it.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Looks like a natural Opal that has been put into a ring that originally held another stone. The prongs are not properly set against the stone plus the steep edges of the oddly cut stone are not secured by the prongs.
I would recommend removing the stone and having it re-cut with sloped sides. Then it would be best to rebuild the head of the ring to match it. Best regards, Lee

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results