shape
carat
color
clarity

General Question About Diamond Shapes

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone - great forum, really enjoying lurking!

This thread is more of a discussion than a show and tell although feel free to post anything you think may be helpful. I had started one other thread a few weeks ago; my long time BF and I have discussed getting married for a while now. Both of us are 56, so there isn't any rush associated with it - we both just like being married and would like to eventually - and sooner than later at this point for varying reasons.

Anyway here's the thing. I've been married twice before (he, once). Both of my other E-rings were round. I really do not want to repeat this shape, I'd like something entirely different. I've been looking at vintage and new stones and settings but I'm having trouble narrowing down exactly what I want because, well I like everything! I'm even open to heart shapes - something I never thought I'd want.

So, I'm left with trying to find out which shape will give me the most bang for my buck. A round looks like it would be out of the question regardless as he could only afford about .50 carat. It seems that several other shapes have more options for size and quality combined. He is trying hard to stay within a $2K budget (difficult, I know!) although we discussed me contributing as I have the money to do so - so perhaps for the entire thing $3k maximum but I think both of us would find that excessive.

I've also come to realize reading this forum that what I thought were my preferences actually are not. It would be easier to figure out if I could narrow it down better but honestly, I've seen some lovely not quite perfect stones here that have made me swoon just as much as perfect ones. I am drawn to somewhat warmer tones and do not care for large stones (lucky for him!); would like to have something somewhere between .75 and 1.25 (even that might be a tad too large). I'm fairly hard on my possessions, have small hands (albeit them a bit pudgy :tongue: ). The the last 2 rings sat way too high up and used to snag on things. I also commute into NYC and take mass transit so I'm concerned about having anything too flashy on me.

As for settings I also gravitate to simple and streamlined. A solitaire would be fine for me if it had an interesting profile. Much as I enjoy looking at a halo - it really isn't "me". I also have a slight leaning towards things vintage over modern although, there is one Danhov setting that I am currently coveting which is incredibly modern in appearance but is only for a round stone (the Abbraccio Swirl Engagement Ring Style#: AE133). Plus, it's very pricey :(( I'd have to compromise a lot on shape and size of diamond to get that one.

So, basically I'm just trying to ascertain how others managed to narrow down their choices given the wide range of stones and settings available? Would love to hear feedback from the community. Thanks!

Laurie

Q

Queenie60

Hi Laurie: Have you thought about a very nice eternity band?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
One more picture: :love:

tmp_18620-images_20_293318538.jpg

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock
SomethingNew|1454710834|3987389 said:
What about a light yellow oval or pear? In a halo setting?

something like... http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamonds/fancy-light-yellow-oval-14174

That is lovely. I could see that as a halo setting - smaller whiter stones would really set that off nicely. I've been looking at colored diamonds and while that one really appeals to me, I'd prefer it as a RHR due to it's vivid coloration.

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1454712429|3987402 said:
One more picture: :love:

Thank you for this Gypsy!

I had looked at that site once before, but surely must have gotten distracted with some mundane task at home. I LOVE that stone. I also love everything on the site!

I showed it to my BF last night and we both agreed that going vintage is my style. I happen to have an inherited Edwardian cocktail ring of a size that makes it impossible for me to enjoy. I'd sell it, make a brooch out of it, or reset the stones in it but I think my sisters would have my head over that!

I also find the older stones more interesting to look at. In going through the site I saw several round ones that really caught my eye - whereas modern round cuts leave me disinterested for the most part. I might stop even looking for a new ring after seeing everything available there. I don't mind preloved/preowned at all. One of my sisters asked me if it had good mojo and I was like "who cares about mojo?" To me they are history. My house is from 1925 so why not a ring? :appl:

There were several affordable pieces available now and I'm sure their inventory moves fairly quickly. My BF was equally impressed as he also values the past. Thanks again for bringing it to my attention again, looks like I have I have narrowed down my preference after all. Now, it's just finding "The One".

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you commute to the city, I'd make an appointment at IDJ in NYC Diamond district and see what they can show you. They have lots of settings for you to try on to narrow down the options and can show you lower color stones too. They work with tight budgets very well and are one of recommended PS vendors. http://idjewelry.com/engagement-rings.html

As far as narrowing down choices, it can take a while to figure but it's a fun search!

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock
I do go into NYC. Thanks so much for the recommendation!
Bookmarked!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you want vintage and you are in NY you MUST (and I do mean MUST) go to Old World Diamonds. Adam has something very every budget and he's a doll.

You really need to go in!

sivyaleah

Rough_Rock
Thanks for this also!

I have a few names in the district (all "upstairs" - not on the floor) to get in touch with. I will had them to the list :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Make Adam your first stop. =)

If you like the vintage stuff you saw on Erica's site it will be a perfect fit for you. And you can trust him.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results