shape
carat
color
clarity

General opinions on OEC lab & style ideas! Especially if you own a lab from Rhino Distinctive Gem

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Hello friends!

I am working on a ring project for a 14k white gold, French cut sapphire halo ring with a 7.5mm (around 1.67 carat) center diamond. I want to do an Old European Cut diamond. I feel very strongly about doing a OEC, and don't care for RB in this vintage setting.
Here is the setting that I want, it is from Ivy and Rose Vintage.
Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 4.37.58 PM.png

Since I am currently living in Southern California and supporting my hubby who is getting his doctorate, I don't have the funds for a 1.67 carat natural OEC diamond right now, yikes! Therefore: lab diamond!
I love Rhino's selection and customer service. I have purchased from him before, and I trust him and his products. I contacted him about doing a lab OEC and he replied right away and was happy to help me out. However, doing a lab OEC from Rhino in this size would be about $4,000. That's a little more than I was expecting for a lab. HOWEVER he guarantees his diamonds to be minimum VS and G-H color. And if the lab comes out whiter and brighter, you don't pay extra. I want a white diamond for this project.
I have reached out to Adam at Old World Diamonds (multiple times) and I am just not feeling the love with his customer service.... Plus his diamonds can be a little wonky and not perfectly round, which I need for this setting. (I do love wonky diamond though).

Does anyone have an OEC lab diamonds in general, or specifically from Jonathan at Distinctive Gem? Can anyone show me pictures?

My other idea was to from Estate Diamond Jewelry with their Tallis ring to "hold me over" until I can afford a diamond. This is $2,400, Platinum with a 1 carat aquamarine center stone. Basically the same design, half the price, with aquamarine. I am just worried that I won't love it because it's not a OEC diamond like I want, and that I will scratch the aquamarine to crap. I am not a gentle person on my jewelry, and have destroyed 1 garnet and 1 morganite so far. :(

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 4.48.08 PM.png

I have seen many other designs similar to this, but the center stone is smaller than what I'm looking for. I don't want to go below 1 carat for this project.
Anyhooos, does anyone have any labs from Jonathan at Distinctive Gem? Does anyone have any OEC labs from anyone?

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
I don't know what ring size you are but that setting has major presence! I have it in the 7mm center stone size, sized in a 5.5 and it takes up a ton of finger space. So you might be able to get away with a smaller stone.

Or perhaps you would consider moissanite? I did mine with an OEC moissanite from Tianyu and it's lovely!
20190918_081507.jpg

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know what ring size you are but that setting has major presence! I have it in the 7mm center stone size, sized in a 5.5 and it takes up a ton of finger space. So you might be able to get away with a smaller stone.

Or perhaps you would consider moissanite? I did mine with an OEC moissanite from Tianyu and it's lovely!
20190918_081507.jpg

OMG thank you for sharing, this is just the inspiration I needed to see!!! Omg I love it, it’s Phenomenal!! I have been thinking about doing a OEC moissanite, but wasn’t sure how it would look. Yours is perfect thank you for sharing!!!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Johanna, @muesli has a lab diamond AVR from Jonathan and it is gorgeous. Here is a thread that might interest you.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Johanna, @muesli has a lab diamond AVR from Jonathan and it is gorgeous. Here is a thread that might interest you.

I love you guys, so helpful!! Thank you soooo much, that’s exactly what I wanted!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I had that setting with an 8mm oec moissanite. It was gorgeous. Regret selling it! You might consider the moissanite route, save some money. In time you could replace the stone. Yes, bezeled stones can be unmounted, bezel rebuilt. Just a thought! I love the sapphire target rings, I'm excited for you!

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I love those target rings from Ivy and Rose. I agree that a European cut would be the ideal fit. I actually thought it was 4K for the deposit at DG not the finished price, and I think 4K for that size, considering the branded cut, is not a bad value. But only you know if it’s worth it to you.

I don’t like the aqua in that ring. Going with a European cut moissanite would cost about the same but also give you more the look you want and more durability.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I had that setting with an 8mm oec moissanite. It was gorgeous. Regret selling it! You might consider the moissanite route, save some money. In time you could replace the stone. Yes, bezeled stones can be unmounted, bezel rebuilt. Just a thought! I love the sapphire target rings, I'm excited for you!

Thank you! I will be sure to post the final outcome when it is complete ☺️

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I love those target rings from Ivy and Rose. I agree that a European cut would be the ideal fit. I actually thought it was 4K for the deposit at DG not the finished price, and I think 4K for that size, considering the branded cut, is not a bad value. But only you know if it’s worth it to you.

I don’t like the aqua in that ring. Going with a European cut moissanite would cost about the same but also give you more the look you want and more durability.

Thank you! I agree, I don’t *love* the aquamarine compared to how I would love a moissanite/diamond.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
4k for a 7.5mm lab diamond sounds crazy to me. I'd get a moissanite for now.

I know.... I’m not really sure why it’s so much to be honest. Maybe because OEC are a fancy cut? I’m not sure. Or maybe because it’s from Jonathan and is stuff is brand name and has a reputation for being great? Who knows. I’m still trying to decide if that’s something I want to spend money on. :/

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock

Phanie

Shiny_Rock

20190918_081507.jpg

Is the setting from Tianyu too?

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If you like the option for OEC moissanite I got a 8mm from Joseph Schubach Jewelers that is fabulous. I'm not sure if they have a smaller size but its worth asking. The one I got was not one of their branded cuts so I felt the pricing was reasonable. I liked that they were in the US and I wouldn't have to wait a long time for one to come from overseas and felt like a return, if needed, would be a lot less hassle. I called them directly since I had a lot of questions - you can see close up photos and a few videos of my stone in a setting if you search my post titled
For Sale Antique Platinum, Emerald, and Diamond Art Deco semi-mount Moissanite Ring

Here is their listing on ebay for more photos (call them to purchase and request their best price)

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Not the best photos, but here's my AVR moissanite. I happened to find a pic of my old Ivy and Rose sapphire target too...shown with the avr ring. The moissanite in the target was actually from Moissanite and Co. I liked the cut, but it was warmer than the AVR, even though the AVR was J/K and the MoCo was a "G/H"(dubious, but I like warmth so didn't bother me). 20200831_171319.jpg

muesli

Shiny_Rock

Thank you so much for mentioning my ring! <3

That Ivy and Rose-setting is absolutely stunning!!!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like the option for OEC moissanite I got a 8mm from Joseph Schubach Jewelers that is fabulous. I'm not sure if they have a smaller size but its worth asking. The one I got was not one of their branded cuts so I felt the pricing was reasonable. I liked that they were in the US and I wouldn't have to wait a long time for one to come from overseas and felt like a return, if needed, would be a lot less hassle. I called them directly since I had a lot of questions - you can see close up photos and a few videos of my stone in a setting if you search my post titled
For Sale Antique Platinum, Emerald, and Diamond Art Deco semi-mount Moissanite Ring

Here is their listing on ebay for more photos (call them to purchase and request their best price)

Wow! Schubachs sell loose stones now?! That’s a great thing to know. I’ve worked with them before. They have lovely items.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock

Ohh I didn’t even think that the 4K would be just for the deposit ‍♀️ doh! That might mess with my plans for sure if it’s over 4K... thank you for pointing this out!!!

muesli

Shiny_Rock
I didn't pay more than the deposit for my stone (I even got a larger one in the end as it took more time), but I don't know about anyone else.

sadiesunshine13

Rough_Rock
I didn't pay more than the deposit for my stone (I even got a larger one in the end as it took more time), but I don't know about anyone else.

This is what I’ve been wondering as well! Is the deposit price the full price? Or do you pay more depending on how the stone comes back? It’s listed as “deposit” which makes one believe you have to put more money down at a later date, so I was just generally confused about the process. I’m absolutely in love with your stone by the way, it’s breathtakingly beautiful.

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
I *think* you pay more than the deposit based on specs. I do think there was a promotion initially where you didn’t pay more than the deposit, based on the verbiage that was on the site at one point! However I do think it’s more than just the deposit in most cases (well at least that’s what *hopefully* soon to be fiancé alluded to when we were discussing budget things). Reach out to Jonathan and ask him though!

kellie gosselin

Rough_Rock

I am looking to replace what I think is a DEF, it was supposed to be a GHI stone but I have doubts bc it is pretty darn white. What color did you go with for your OEC?

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
I have a MMD AVC from Rhino and it’s gorgeous, as expected. It’s an F color and icy white. I bought in house, not custom cut, FWIW. I find his prices reasonable based on the cut quality of the stones.

If you must have an earth mined diamond at some point, then perhaps it’s not worth it to buy MMD right now. Maybe another simulant would be better, financially speaking. Or, you might get this OEC from Rhino and fall so in love with it that you decide to keep it forever? It is a diamond, after all :lol-2:

kellie gosselin

Rough_Rock
I have a MMD AVC from Rhino and it’s gorgeous, as expected. It’s an F color and icy white. I bought in house, not custom cut, FWIW. I find his prices reasonable based on the cut quality of the stones.

If you must have an earth mined diamond at some point, then perhaps it’s not worth it to buy MMD right now. Maybe another simulant would be better, financially speaking. Or, you might get this OEC from Rhino and fall so in love with it that you decide to keep it forever? It is a diamond, after all :lol-2:

I am so on the fence with the Moissanite from Distinctive Gems but I fear it's too white like I have now.. I was looking for a Moissanite OEC in a lower color, maybe J/k. So hard to decide when you cant view them in person!

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
I am so on the fence with the Moissanite from Distinctive Gems but I fear it's too white like I have now.. I was looking for a Moissanite OEC in a lower color, maybe J/k. So hard to decide when you cant view them in person!

I know! Totally agree. Honestly after watching Rhino’s videos for the last 7 years, and reading people’s experiences here on the forums, this was the first online diamond purchase I made where I felt completely confident that I would receive a well cut stone. I’ve always bought from online vendors, but never a branded stone like ACA or BG offerings, etc. So I was always a little nervous about whether I would like the stone.
Not this time. I knew it would be a stunner and it is. I can’t recommend DG enough.
I haven’t seen his moissanite. (I have seen moissanite in person so I’m familiar with the differences) So I can’t comment on it, I’m sorry.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
I've had this Tianyu lab OEC listing open in my browser for a bit -- https://m.alibaba.com/product/16003...6.wshop_pl.113.i99&wx_navbar_transparent=true
-- I have no idea how Tianyu works, haha, but may be a good source for OECs? Ouros ones are too transitional imo if you really want an OEC. To be honest I had an AVR in person and felt it went dark under the table; I wasn't in love with the cut. (I'm also a transitional gal at heart, so, y'know.)

I have a 7.8mm transitional in an I&R target setting and it's FANCY AS HECK. The setting is super fragile feeling but I've worn it many days for office work and nothing's happened. I love staring at it. PXL_20210817_233820572.jpg

kellie gosselin

Rough_Rock
I've had this Tianyu lab OEC listing open in my browser for a bit -- https://m.alibaba.com/product/1600336566057/detail.html?channel=minisite_a2706.wshop_pl.113.i99&otherparams=//m.alibaba.com/product/1600336566057/Tianyu-Specia-Live-Price-Wholesale-1ct.html&scenery_id=2&tracelog=a2706.wshop_pl.113.i99&spm=a2706.wshop_pl.113.i99&wx_navbar_transparent=true
-- I have no idea how Tianyu works, haha, but may be a good source for OECs? Ouros ones are too transitional imo if you really want an OEC. To be honest I had an AVR in person and felt it went dark under the table; I wasn't in love with the cut. (I'm also a transitional gal at heart, so, y'know.)

I have a 7.8mm transitional in an I&R target setting and it's FANCY AS HECK. The setting is super fragile feeling but I've worn it many days for office work and nothing's happened. I love staring at it. PXL_20210817_233820572.jpg

WOW that is just beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results