shape
carat
color
clarity

General "kids-will-be-kids" philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 2:39:26 PM
Author: MC

Date: 3/23/2009 1:15:13 PM
Author: TravelingGal
MC, I might be really irate if I felt the mother was continually not watching her kids. And so yes, I might tear into another mom a bit if I had had enough. It really depends on the situation here. You yourself have admitted that you tune your kids out (I think most of us moms have to do that for survival!) when you told the story of your kids causing a ruckus while you were reading a magazine and didn''t notice until a bit later - and only then saw people giving you the stink eye.

The original question you asked is was he justified. From what''s been written, yes I think it was justified.
Yes, I did tell the story of the magazine, tuning out. It''s not like that''s a continuous habit of mine, but that was an example of a particular event, not a daily occurance! Just ask my kids. They get sent to their rooms ALL the time for being loud or jumping about. They both know how to set the timer for 10 minutes!

Oh and it was a guy, not ''people'' giving me the ''stink eye.''
Just making the point that most moms probably tune their kids out because we just live with the noise. It''s like when someone else''s kid screams, it''s an icky noise to me. It''s less icky when my daughter does it because she''s my kid. So maybe others are just more sensitive to the disturbances they cause, yanno?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Like with so many things, no one is really "innocent" here...I think, if it were me, I would try to smooth things over. I certainly wouldn''t kiss his *** but I would make it clear that you understand why he was concerned and you''ve taken steps towards making sure that never happens again.

MC, I hope you''ve spent as much time with your children explaining why playing with rocks isn''t such a hot idea, as you''ve spent here trying to make us understand why this man was wrong. If you have, then I promise you, you''ll never hear from this issue again.

I don''t mean to jump all over you at all, but I keep hearing why you''re so mad but I don''t hear anything about how you''re going to actually fix the situation.

MaggieB

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 5:33:26 PM
Author: trillionaire

I don''t have kids. If I see unsupervised children acting inappropriately, I feel free to reprimand or correct them, as I would expect any other responsible adult to do if I had children.

It takes a village, and the more children realize that they are always responsible and accountable for their actions, regardless of who is present, the better. I think all of the ''I''m not supposed to say anything'' attitudes hurt our society. Don''t TOUCH other people''s children, but please correct bad or mischievous behavior. If you are sensitive to other people reprimanding your children, then be willing to be present and available when your children are playing so that you can be the one to correct them.
I''m with you, Trill. I always correct a child if I am the only adult around. Everyone I know also feels perfectly free to correct my child as well. Children need to be corrected. They''re chiildren. That doesn''t mean that the grownup has to be a jerk to them, though, and I would have a real problem if someone yelled at or insulted my child.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 3:59:18 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor

I don''t mean to jump all over you at all, but I keep hearing why you''re so mad but I don''t hear anything about how you''re going to actually fix the situation.
I already posted that my kids and I appologized to the guy.

You''re right that I haven''t posted anything re: fixing the situation (aside from what I just mentioned). You brought it up, so how would you tackle the issue?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results