shape
carat
color
clarity

Gemstone Photography

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Any threads on coloured stone photography? I need some help on photographing coloured stones. Thank you.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel like doing a google search on Kenny's advice on photography would be the fastest way to find this -- I can't find his old thread on fcds but if you can locate it then it is a gold mine for how to photograph stones. Also an amazing read/eye candy. This is one of my all time favourites -- hi Kenny if you are reading this then that thread is amazing :wavey:.

Otherwise what about starting with the daimond one pinned at the top of the smtb forum? Alot of the approach is going to be the same.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gemstone photography is really hard. I find that diffused natural lighting works best AND my iphone seems to capture the colors a lot better than my DSLR.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have good luck with the lighting coming through a window but not direct sunlight and I don't use any flash.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your advice.

I should have mentioned that gemstone photography using iPhone.

I usually take photos indoor with the stone facing the window. Since there is a curtain, the sunlight is diffused. The stone in the photo usually is slightly brigher than the stone in real life but it is quite accurate.

When using the marco len for iPhone, the len has to be very close to the stone and the photo is dark. I want to take a close up photo of the stone. How to brighten the stone when using marco len? or how to take a close up photo?

Thanks.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get a dedicated magnifier that you can attach to the iPhone. Gene Flanigan has posted about it here on PS somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When using the marco lens for iPhone the lens has to be very close to the stone and the photo is dark.
I want to take a close up photo of the stone.
How to brighten the stone when using marco lens?

I'd try one of those head mirrors that doctors used to use.
Apparently they still use them because eBay sells them for $5 to $600.
Sorry pic's so big; I tried to resize it but it seems PS is enlarging it. I give up.

Dr-Head-Mirror.jpg

Position it in front of and close to the gem.
Position your phone's lens to look through the hole.
Have the the mirror and your lens facing your window because that is the light the mirror will be reflecting into the gem.

If you want want to buy a mirror cut a little hole in a white piece of cardboard.
You could even line the cardboard with aluminum foil.

Experiment lots.
Please post results.

I do FCD macrophotography, but instead of using a phone I use pro DSLRs and fancy gizmos.
Though you're using a phone, you may want to slog through the threads below for general tips on lighting and such.
There are more many threads where I've given macrophotography advice.
Google:
pricescope kenny bellows
pricescope kenny macro
pricescope kenny fcd collection

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-colored-diamond-collection.159746/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-new-fancy-colored-diamonds-blue-green.148569/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/macro-picture-of-diamond.179231/

Here's one where I threw in a bit of humor.

dizziness_warning.png

Last edited:

PumpkinOrange

Rough_Rock
Are these natural color diamonds?

My technique in taking macro shots is using the 10x jeweler's loupe by placing them at the lens. It takes a little bit of practice though to get used to it.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My attached iphone lens also makes my stones look darker so I usually get a nice crisp distance shot and then crop it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are these natural color diamonds?.

If you're talking to me, yes.
They're tiny, but the real deal.
All of my FCDs are fully natural (both material and color) per their GIA reports.

All were purchased directly from Leibish.
I recommend them strongly.

Last edited:

PumpkinOrange

Rough_Rock
If you're talking to me, yes.
They're tiny, but the real deal.
All of my FCDs are fully natural (both material and color) per their GIA reports.

All were purchased directly from Leibish.
I recommend them strongly.

That's a wonderful collection I could tell their colors are the finest. Are any of them orange diamonds coz I see 2 to 3 that looks like vivid yellowish orange and vivid orange.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, I love this picture!!!

I'd try one of those head mirrors that doctors used to use.
Apparently they still use them because eBay sells them for $5 to $600.
Sorry pic's so big; I tried to resize it but it seems PS is enlarging it. I give up.

Dr-Head-Mirror.jpg

Position it in front of and close to the gem.
Position your phone's lens to look through the hole.
Have the the mirror and your lens facing your window because that is the light the mirror will be reflecting into the gem.

If you want want to buy a mirror cut a little hole in a white piece of cardboard.
You could even line the cardboard with aluminum foil.

Experiment lots.
Please post results.

I do FCD macrophotography, but instead of using a phone I use pro DSLRs and fancy gizmos.
Though you're using a phone, you may want to slog through the threads below for general tips on lighting and such.
There are more many threads where I've given macrophotography advice.
Google:
pricescope kenny bellows
pricescope kenny macro
pricescope kenny fcd collection

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-colored-diamond-collection.159746/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-new-fancy-colored-diamonds-blue-green.148569/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/macro-picture-of-diamond.179231/

Here's one where I threw in a bit of humor.

dizziness_warning.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny...I've never seen that one with the pill bottle...may cause dizziness :lol-2:...perfect!!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a wonderful collection I could tell their colors are the finest. Are any of them orange diamonds coz I see 2 to 3 that looks like vivid yellowish orange and vivid orange.
Thanks, and yup.
There's a 0.33 Fancy Vivid Yellowish Orange Pear in there.

0.33 FIyO.png

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I have a macro pro lens kit from Olloclip for my iPhone 6s, and it works well for jewelry photos. This is my spinel ring and a matching band (both aren't super clean), but you can see how it captures detail. This was taken with an iPhone 5s a few years ago. _34694.jpg

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
rubybeth_stack_5_stone.jpg

Natural light works best, like this of one of my ring stacks during "golden hour," about 30 minutes prior to sunset.

PumpkinOrange

Rough_Rock
that is absolutely fantastic! My vivid yellowish orange diamond have a kinda huge bow tie effect which looks black inclusion or a color hole sometimes. Is it normal? Will bow tie effect significantly affect the value of a colored diamond? Thanks, and yup.
There's a 0.33 Fancy Vivid Yellowish Orange Pear in there.

0.33 FIyO.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many if not most pears, ovals and marquise have some bowtie.
It's the result of how light bounces around in an elongated shape; the light ray path in the one direction is longer than it is in the perpendicular direction.

These shapes with little or no bowtie probably requires it's cut within a very very narrow range of proportions ... requiring they 'waste' more rough.
Carat weight however is a very high priority when cutting each diamond.

Lovers of those shapes realize some bowtie just comes with the territory.
FCDs, being more rare and colored rough more precious, are probably more likely to have things like windowing and bowtie than white diamonds.

As to lowering the value, IMO Leibish is pretty fair.
I believe their prices take into account not just GIA grades but where each sample fits into the range of the grade grade (such as a Fancy Intense that borders on Fancy or on Fancy Vivid) and also the cut.
That would mean I wouldn't worry about getting less if you sell it because you paid less when you bought it.

BTW, pumpkin orange your last post looks like nothing but a quote of me
Your words at the beginning of the quote of me somehow got inserted into your quote of me.
FTR, the part in orange is your words.
The blue is my words.

"that is absolutely fantastic! My vivid yellowish orange diamond have a kinda huge bow tie effect which looks black inclusion or a color hole sometimes. Is it normal? Will bow tie effect significantly affect the value of a colored diamond? Thanks, and yup.
There's a 0.33 Fancy Vivid Yellowish Orange Pear in there."

Last edited:

PumpkinOrange

Rough_Rock
Many if not most pears, ovals and marquise have some bowtie.
It's the result of how light bounces around in an elongated shape; the light ray path in the one direction is longer than it is in the perpendicular direction.

These shapes with little or no bowtie probably requires it's cut within a very very narrow range of proportions ... requiring they 'waste' more rough.
Carat weight however is a very high priority when cutting each diamond.

Lovers of those shapes realize some bowtie just comes with the territory.
FCDs, being more rare and colored rough more precious, are probably more likely to have things like windowing and bowtie than white diamonds.

As to lowering the value, IMO Leibish is pretty fair.
I believe their prices take into account not just GIA grades but where each sample fits into the range of the grade grade (such as a Fancy Intense that borders on Fancy or on Fancy Vivid) and also the cut.
That would mean I wouldn't worry about getting less if you sell it because you paid less when you bought it.

BTW, pumpkin orange your last post looks like nothing but a quote of me
Your words at the beginning of the quote of me somehow got inserted into your quote of me.
FTR, the part in orange is your words.
The blue is my words.

"that is absolutely fantastic! My vivid yellowish orange diamond have a kinda huge bow tie effect which looks black inclusion or a color hole sometimes. Is it normal? Will bow tie effect significantly affect the value of a colored diamond? Thanks, and yup.
There's a 0.33 Fancy Vivid Yellowish Orange Pear in there."

Well thank you I'm new here so I am still practicing how this works. I know Leibish & Co. are the best natural color diamond vendor and they are honest to goodness.

What do you think however of Langerman Diamonds?

In 2015 I've fallen in love with their antique centuries old lime green diamond that is uncertified that time weighing 0.43ct fancy vivid yellow green VS2 worth $7k then after they sent it to GIA it came as fancy intense green yellow VS2 so I told them I'm not paying $7k for it since two major changes happened the color and intensity & I asked experts how much it should be worth & they told me a little over $3k & I compare prices I saw a similar size modern cut GIA certified fancy intense yellow green SI1 for sale for $3,400 something from another vendor.Then in 2016 Langerman Diamonds raised the price of their diamond from $7k to $9k.

Still even though most people I asked agteed the Langerman Diamonds is a fancy intense green yellow and not a fancy vivid yellow green I still like it probably I even like it more than the GIA certified fancy intense green yellow SI1 diamond.

I even asked Langerman Diamonds I will name my family's watefalls in the province Langerman Waterfalls is they sell that diamond to me for $5k but they didn't & I cannot afford $9k coz I am an idiot to spend more for something most people would say should only cost $3,500k.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just want to share my experience of taking gemstone photos using iPhone. The colour of the gemstone in the photo is more accurate under intense sunlight indoor. I have never tried any photo shoot outdoor. The marco len plus the zoom function of the iPhone give a sharp photo without masking the lighting. I only use iPhone since I don't have a digital camera.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... I even asked Langerman Diamonds I will name my family's waterfalls in the province Langerman Waterfalls if they sell that diamond to me for $5k but they didn't & I cannot afford $9k ...

Are you serious?
You much be joking! :eek-2:
You've gotta be kidding.
Really?
Astonishing!

Please tell me you didn't tell them that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results