shape
carat
color
clarity

Gemstone help ..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
I'm looking in to a gemstone as a diamond alternative (let me just add that I LOVE gemstones so in no way am I "down-grading") for my engagement ring and need some help. I don't know anything about gemstones, but am hoping to learn soon as I'm getting married in August so I need to make a decision soon! I'd like a blue or green (love the bluish-green stones but they seem a lot more expensive) stone that's .90 and up .. something that's under $1200. I'm going to go ahead and post pictures of gems like I like and am considering in the hopes that someone will chime in and tell me what I should be looking for, if it's a good deal, etc.
37.gif
I'd like something that sparkles (round or oval cut) and obviously a stone that would look good as an engagement ring!

Thanks in advance!

OH - are gemstones sized different? I was looking at a 1.7 sapphire and the comments said it fits a 1 diamond setting so I wasn't sure.

Sapphire - Corundum

http://www.diamondexpert.com/diamonds/dbs.cgi?sf=detg.setup.cgi&active=active&stock=SA00156&submit_search=1

SA00156_a.jpg

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
Last one! Looks like 2 of the pictures won''t show .. sorry!

Spinel

http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/5225

blsp162-1.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Goodie - another engagement ring project! There are many beautiful coloured stone rings in PS. Take a look at the photos and read through the threads, where many of the difficulties of getting a good quality stone are discussed. You will also see a lot of the different looks and identify what is important to you , in terms of colour, cut, etc.

Different stones can be heavier or lighter (think of granite and talc, for example). This will reflect in the size of the finished stone, so a 1ct sapphire will be smaller than a 1ct diamond. The other factor is that the cut is adapted to the stone type and many coloured stones are deeper than diamonds, both to enhance colour and to compensate for a lower RI. Take a look at a well cut spinel: it is amazingly deep! This, of course, will make the stone face up smaller, but improves performance.

First off, I don´t think any of the stones you posted is "the one". For your budget, I think you can find better.

1 - I think this stone is too dark and it will be even darker once set. It seems to be windowed as well (that is, the light is going straight through the stone in the center, instead of being reflected back)

2 - The colour doesn´t wow me (but this is very personnal)

3 - Sphene is way too soft for a ring, as well as having perfect cleavage (so it can split if something hits it in the right angle). I wouldn´t put a sphene on a ring, much less an engagement ring that will be worn daily

4 - I really like the colour! However, there seems to be a huge window. I doubt it will perform well (but send Ed an email for more info, if you are interested)

5 and 6- Once again, I think it is too dark.

7 - Too dark and, between the odd angle and lightning, the picture doesn´t show the stone clearly

8 - There is a large feather right underneath the table which would drive me insane. Ed says it isn´t very visible, but at least ask for more pictures.

I think you should send an e-mail to some of the top cutters and ask what they have. A lit of inventory never goes on the site and they can also procure rough to cut a stone to your specifications.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like the profile on the Pearlmann ring.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to everything LD has written.

A few extra points:

Different substances have different 'specific gravities' - for example a 1cm cube of lead is much heavier than a 1cm cube of glass. This is the same with gemstones. Some will be heavier than a diamond, some will be lighter. Corundum (sapphires and rubies) is heavier, so a 1ct sapphire will be smaller than a 1ct diamond (if both are cut identically), Garnet is about the same as diamond so a 1ct garnet will be similar in size to a 1ct diamond.

For this reason, it is much better to look at stones in terms of mm dimensions and not ct weights.

Any gemstone e-ring will need a lot more care and babying than a diamond will. My e-ring (avatar) is a tsavorite garnet and I only wear it when I am going out - the rest of the time it stays in it's box. It would be extremely hard to replace if I broke it and I don't want to take the risk.

I wouldn't look at anything softer than 7.5 on the Mohs, so you would need to look at garnets, sapphires, spinels, chrysoberyl and some tourmalines.

I've bought quite a few great stones from Rick at ArtCutGems, and I do recommend having a word with him as to what he might have. A green mali garnet would make an amazing e-ring, I have a more yellow/orange toned one from him and it is mindblowing. A green one is high on my current wish list!

MommaChristine

Shiny_Rock
Thank you both for the help! I think after looking at all of the different gemstones that while green is my absolute favorite color, I''d prefer a blue (or blueish-green) sapphire or spinel. That seems to be what catches my eye the most! Are their any sites that have a large collection of these?! Preferrably a site that states prices as it really annoying in my opinion to have to e-mail about pricing!

LD - thanks for your input on the settings! To be honest I''m keeping my fingers crossed that I''ll find an amazing deal on a stone so that I can get a price quote from Leon! If not .. the Sholdt it is!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The largest online sapphire place I can think of is the Natural Sapphire Company - however the bulk of their stones are unheated and you will pay a premium for that.

Palagems has GREAT stones, but they are trade-only so no prices.

If you are going the sapphire route, it''s worth educating yourself about treatments - some like gentle heat are acceptable, the others are not. There are a number of threads here discussing these.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''d especially point out vanadium chrysoberyl in case you''re not crazy about the usual yellowish green of "normal" chrysoberyl. Everything else is pretty much said, if you plan to wear it a lot you''re pretty much limited to sapphires, chrysoberyls and spinels. Avoid spinels with an obvious grey tint (it''s hard to find one without it though), as well as inky sapphires. Of course, look for as intense color as possible ("intense" and "dark" are not the same thing), overall good clarity and a lively stone (not necessarily perfectly cut). A nice, symmetrical outline is also important for a quality piece of jewellery.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would recommend getting a gently heated sapphire which is a treatment that is readily accepted in the trade and done to most sapphires in the marketplace. You can get a very pretty stone for less money that way. Be leary of stones that are heated wtih beryllium (an element that can "dye" a sapphire a much nicer color). Be very leary of treatments with sapphires, and always buy from a reputable dealer like some of the ones you posted above. Also check out simplysapphires.com for their selection. They have some reasonably priced heated stones.

If you go for an untreated sapphire, it will be more costly. Most greenish blue sapphires have a grey mask to them, so I''m not keen on them. However, you may like them. Wildfishgems has some Montana sapphires in nicer shades of blue/green than the typical blue/green sapphire I''ve seen.

Sphene is completely out of the question as an e-ring, or for any ring for that matter, unless you wear it once a month. Way WAY too soft and fragile.

Good luck on your search.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/14/2009 8:43:47 AM
Author: ma re
I''d especially point out vanadium chrysoberyl in case you''re not crazy about the usual yellowish green of ''normal'' chrysoberyl. Everything else is pretty much said, if you plan to wear it a lot you''re pretty much limited to sapphires, chrysoberyls and spinels. Avoid spinels with an obvious grey tint (it''s hard to find one without it though), as well as inky sapphires. Of course, look for as intense color as possible (''intense'' and ''dark'' are not the same thing), overall good clarity and a lively stone (not necessarily perfectly cut). A nice, symmetrical outline is also important for a quality piece of jewellery.
Good point about the vanadium crysoberyl, and I''ve been trying to find a well cut one for eons. The problem with all the ones I''ve seen is that they''re really badly cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results